Which Bills make a play when one is needed? My thoughts:

UBBullsfan

I hate the Patriots, but guys like Julian Edelman make plays when the game dictates it. I think the Bills don't have many of those guys. I don't know this, but it seems like a lot of Bills are mostly in it for the money.

​Exceptions..... Chris Hogan (example, his catch against the Vikings), Sammy Watkins (is a straight up playmaker), Jerry Hughes (occasionally steps up and makes a big play, such as the strip sack against the Dolphins this year), and Stephon Gilmore would be borderline (his diving swat against the Patriots on MNF is one example, but he sometimes gets burned by slants or comeback routes).

​What are your guys thoughts?

YEP.

Answer: zero in the must win KC game and zero in the winnable Pats* game.

Blame scheme all you want, players had chances, they failed.

No cop out cat. Tell it like it is. Scheme works if you play it right. End of story. Its not flashy but it will get the job done. Not enough solid players.

Sammy respectfully is not clutch yet. Merely because he hasnt made that game breaker play yet. Anyone who knows me knows i think the world of him. Potential ot reached yet.

Anyone else find it sad that our most clutch are not anyone we paid mega bucks... or are thinking of paying mega bucks for.

I see Sammy. Hogan runs sideways or backwards instead of getting more yardage and first downs by falling forward. LeShady had the huge drop against KC. Rambo has dropped a number of INTs. Hughes has killed us with penalties. I can't think of a play where Sammy hasn't come through. Of course, assuming they deign to throw Sammy the ball.

I see Sammy. Hogan runs sideways or backwards instead of getting more yardage and first downs by falling forward. LeShady had the huge drop against KC. Rambo has dropped a number of INTs. Hughes has killed us with penalties. I can't think of a play where Sammy hasn't come through. Of course, assuming they deign to throw Sammy the ball.

Don't you know that's why defense players play defense. Because they can't catch.

Sammy had the game winner at the Vikes last year in a back shoulder throw. Also the crucial 3rd and 2 play against the Jets at MetLife

No cop out cat. Tell it like it is. Scheme works if you play it right. End of story. Its not flashy but it will get the job done. Not enough solid players.

Sammy respectfully is not clutch yet. Merely because he hasnt made that game breaker play yet. Anyone who knows me knows i think the world of him. Potential ot reached yet.

Anyone else find it sad that our most clutch are not anyone we paid mega bucks... or are thinking of paying mega bucks for.

Clay for example looks soft to me.

I would to see him break one up the seam finally. screw the coverage.

dont stat him for me . He has not been a game changer /breaker.

Lesean proved me wrong. He is worthy

Im calling on Rambo to make 2 picks and return one for a TD. Our Def is gonna have to put up points for us to win.

My only issue is with Hughes because he also does the opposite. At a time when you can't have a penalty he gets a personal...

LOL this is true. Hughes pisses me off with his anti-clutch penalties

My only issue is with Hughes because he also does the opposite. At a time when you can't have a penalty he gets a personal...

I agree with those guys.

The whole D-line has made big plays in the past.

Tyrod has made big plays with his legs in comeback situations.

TT wont be able to do that this game, Watts is gonna be all over him especially wit Miller and Hendy out. He needs to play lights out from the pocket this week if we want to win.

I hate the Patriots, but guys like Julian Edelman make plays when the game dictates it. I think the Bills don't have many of those guys. I don't know this, but it seems like a lot of Bills are mostly in it for the money.

​Exceptions..... Chris Hogan (example, his catch against the Vikings), Sammy Watkins (is a straight up playmaker), Jerry Hughes (occasionally steps up and makes a big play, such as the strip sack against the Dolphins this year), and Stephon Gilmore would be borderline (his diving swat against the Patriots on MNF is one example, but he sometimes gets burned by slants or comeback routes).

​What are your guys thoughts?

I think Graham gets burnt sometimes but often he makes some good plays. The 4 players you mentionned are far from being clutch. Especially CH, JH and SG.

Edited by fredex22

Colton Schmidt his whole career (except the Thursday night game)

Does punting count as making a play? He has been good, but punting doesn't win championships.

​I think you guys are underrating Chris Hogan. When the game is on the line he almost always gets open.

Didn't Sammy make the defining play in wins vs Detroit and Minnesota last year?

I'd say he, at least, deserves to be called clutch

Does punting count as making a play? He has been good, but punting doesn't win championships.

​I think you guys are underrating Chris Hogan. When the game is on the line he almost always gets open.

We are exactly rating Chris Hogan.

Im calling on Rambo to make 2 picks and return one for a TD. Our Def is gonna have to put up points for us to win.

LOL this is true. Hughes pisses me off with his anti-clutch penalties

TT wont be able to do that this game, Watts is gonna be all over him especially wit Miller and Hendy out. He needs to play lights out from the pocket this week if we want to win.

TT is best against the JJ Watt types - he abused Suh twice VT/Nebraska and twice v Dolphins.

Roll him on every pass play to the side JJ isn't. He's much more elusive with a head start. TT also throws very well on the run.

The Chandler catch was the most "clutch" on that game winning drive.

I don't see how a 4th down catch is bigger than the game-winner.

For that matter, is Hogan clutch for his leaping grab to set up the winner?

Personally, I find it pointless to rate the "clutchness" of key plays on a game winning drive; they all matter.

The post I responded to claimed that Watkins hasn't made a big play in a crucial situation; the game winner against Minnesota clearly qualifies as that IMO

I don't see how a 4th down catch is bigger than the game-winner.

For that matter, is Hogan clutch for his leaping grab to set up the winner?

Personally, I find it pointless to rate the "clutchness" of key plays on a game winning drive; they all matter.

The post I responded to claimed that Watkins hasn't made a big play in a crucial situation; the game winner against Minnesota clearly qualifies as that IMO

The win probabilty before that 4th and 20 was 4%.

Win probabilty boosts from 4-32%. It was the defining play with the lowest statistical percentage of it happening. I also remeber the throw from Orton was wild and Chandler made an incredible one handed catch on the run. Game is over without that play.

After the Hogan catch the win probabilty boosted to 83%. There was also a penalty before that play that dropped the win % in the 20's.

Chandler and Hogan should be called "clutch" players too then. :w00t:

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

The win probabilty before that 4th and 20 was 4%.

Win probabilty boosts from 4-32%. It was the defining play with the lowest statistical percentage of it happening. I also remeber the throw from Orton was wild and Chandler made an incredible one handed catch on the run. Game is over without that play.

After the Hogan catch the win probabilty boosted to 83%. There was also a penalty before that play that dropped the win % in the 20's.

Chandler and Hogan should be called "clutch" players too then. :w00t:

Perhaps you missed the last sentence of my last post.

Ranking the "clutchness" of those plays is immaterial.

You are also misremembering the Chandler catch. It wasn't wild; he bobbled it:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000413645/Week-7-Vikings-vs-Bills-highlights

You can choose to marginalize the importance of the game-winning catch for reasons tangential to the discussion of you wish; I believe that makes no sense, particularly in the context of this discussion.

Bills receivers, ranked:

​1)Watkins

​2) Clay

​3) McCoy

4) Hogan

5) Woods

​6) Easley

​What the Bills think of their receivers

​1) Woods

2) Hogan

​3) McCoy

​4) Watkins

5) Clay

I love reading posts like these, critiques of our system based in the assumption that our flawed QB makes every read correctly and is executing plays and scheme to perfection.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000413645/Week-7-Vikings-vs-Bills-highlights

You can choose to marginalize the importance of the game-winning catch for reasons tangential to the discussion of you wish; I believe that makes no sense, particularly in the context of this discussion.

Casual fans often miss the finer points. :pirate:

My point is your example in the Minnesota game does not make Watkins a "clutch" player.

Casual fans often miss the finer points. :pirate:

Casual fans bought into the hype of flashy names and thought this was a playoff team going into the season and now because the teams expecations have faultered are blaming it on Rex.

My point is your example in the Minnesota game does not make Watkins a "clutch" player.

Casual fans bought into the hype of flashy names and thought this was a playoff team going into the season.

Ok, so game-winning catches don't make a guy a clutch player because someone else also contributed on the game-winning drive?

What about when he made the circus catch to beat Detroit 3 weeks prior?

There doesn't seem to be any defined logic at work here, so please define it for me: what, exactly, makes a clutch player if not making game-winning plays?

Or is it possible that the whole idea of defining a guy as clutch is silly to begin with because every single play in the game matters?

Casual fans bought into the hype of flashy names and thought this was a playoff team going into the season and now because the teams expecations have faultered are blaming it on Rex.

:lol: Your definition of casual needs work, friend. :beer:

Ok, so game-winning catches don't make a guy a clutch player because someone else also contributed on the game-winning drive?

There doesn't seem to be any defined logic at work here, so please define it for me: what, exactly, makes a clutch player if not making game-winning plays?

Or is it possible that the whole idea of defining a guy as clutch is silly to begin with because every single play in the game matters?

Casual fans don't do logic. They do emotional outrage.

An example of a game-winning catch doesn't make a guy clutch. I don't think anyone would call James Hardy a "clutch" WR

An exampe of a circus catch doesn't make a guy clutch. I don't think anyone would call David Tyree a "clutch" WR and he even helped win a superbowl. Just like I wouldn't call Hogan and Chandler "clutch".

The idea of "clutch" as being silly is the most accurate statement.

An example of a game-winning catche doesn't make a guy clutch. I don't think anyone would call James Hardy a "clutch" WR

An exampe of a circus catch doesn't make a guy clutch. I don't think anyone would call David Tyree a "clutch" WR and he even helped win a superbowl. Just like I wouldn't call Hogan and Chandler "clutch".

But Sammy making three game winning catches (Minnesota, Detroit, and the Jets this year) means nothing! NOTHING! :lol:

Since this statement is false it in fact doesn't mean anything.

Sammy didn't catch the game winners in those games? For a guy who claims not to be a casual fan, you sure have a casual memory of the games the Bills have played. :lol:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/buffalo-bills/0ap3000000405801/Sammy-Watkins-tips-to-himself

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/kyle-orton-finds-sammy-watkins-for-game-winning-td-in-final-seconds-203454008.html

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25372374/look-watkins-absolutely-burned-revis-with-the-game-on-the-line

An example of a game-winning catch doesn't make a guy clutch. I don't think anyone would call James Hardy a "clutch" WR

Then wouldn't it be more genuine of you to simply state that you don't believe in clutch players rather than to debate the merits of one player point by idiosyncratic point?

Then wouldn't it be more genuine of you to simply state that you don't believe in clutch players rather than to debate the merits of one player point by idiosyncratic point?

It would be more genuine, but it wouldn't serve his crusade: Whaley bad, Sammy bad, McCoy bad, anyone who doesn't agree with him is a casual fan. Lather, rinse, repeat.

All I have to do is look at the first link to prove my point that sammy didn't catch the game winner. The game was won by Dan Carpenter.

All I have to do is look at the first link to prove my point that sammy didn't catch the game winner. The game was won by Dan Carpenter.

Who could never have made the kick if Sammy doesn't make that catch. :rolleyes:

But again, casual fans often miss the finer points of the game. It's okay, football is hard to understand sometimes. :beer: