Blood is on the NRA's hands

LA Grant

Gamechanger: Celebrities join Obama in reminding America that they oppose gun violence

To cleanse the palate, a gun-grabbing “effort” distinguished by its lack of effort. At some point America’s creative class decided that celebrity PSAs should all operate the same way. The cast appears sequentially, usually standing against a uniform blank background, and instead of uttering a sentence or two they each say chunks of sentences that are stitched together to form a statement. You know how this goes. Instead of

Celeb one: I oppose gun violence.
Celeb two: So do I. America needs to change.
Celeb three: Call your congressman today.

You typically get

Celeb one: I
Celeb two: oppose
Celeb three: oppose
Celeb four: I oppose
Celeb five: gun violence
Celeb six: gun violence
Celeb seven: I oppose gun violence

They’ve got the basic shtick down here but all the details are wrong. There’s no broader statement. They’re just repeating a mantra over and over. There’s no uniform background, so there’s not even a pretense that these people have gathered to make their point. What it looks like is that they yanked out their cell phones, spent 10 seconds reciting a one-line script, and then e-mailed it to Mike Bloomberg’s anti-gun “Everytown” group to be edited haphazardly into this 90-second fart. Can you feel the commitment to this urgent moral cause?

The non-celebrities in the ad are survivors of shootings. Letting one of them, especially the little boy, tell his story would have been more effective, I’m thinking, than having Julianne Moore and Sofia Vergara literally phone it in.

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/12/09/gamechanger-celebrities-join-obama-in-reminding-america-that-they-oppose-gun-violence/

Pelosi: Gun restrictions needed to 'protect and defend' Americans

Edited by B-Man

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So what you think are the top 5 issues must certainly be the top 5 issues for everybody.

Thank you for providing a fine example of the single-minded, self-interest of both sides to which I was referring.. :thumbsup:

When you take all the opinion and partisanship out of the equation and any objective measurable analysis is done, those are the big issues and they aren't being tackled. If we had an informed electorate we wouldn't have people using their votes primarily for pot legalization, a higher minimum wage, evil banks, free college and the myth of man made climate disaster while the the large supporting pieces of the country are in the shitter.

This is a foregone conclusion, there's no point in fighting. The liberals have the numbers, they have the media, they have the money.

The opponents to gun control have none of those things.

They have the guns....................... :rolleyes:

When you take all the opinion and partisanship out of the equation and any objective measurable analysis is done, those are the big issues and they aren't being tackled. If we had an informed electorate we wouldn't have people using their votes primarily for pot legalization, a higher minimum wage, evil banks, free college and the myth of man made climate disaster while the the large supporting pieces of the country are in the shitter.

Yes, because personal freedoms for American citizens, a living wage, corporate ownership of the US government and clean air and water are all meaningless compared to "non-partisan" issues like immigration, the stock market and welfare. :w00t:

Thank you for continuing to point out how both sides are equally biased to their own agendas....

The liberals have the numbers, they have the media, they have the money. The opponents to gun control have none of those things.

Yeah, but we have the guns......

So what you think are the top 5 issues must certainly be the top 5 issues for everybody.

Thank you for providing a fine example of the single-minded, self-interest of both sides to which I was referring.. :thumbsup:

When it comes to failing to recognize that the partisan idiocy on the right is equally as stupid as it is on the left, you are either the bronze, silver, gold or platinum winner in this forum.

Are you really surprised that partisan fools don't recognize their own tomfoolery?

Because that in itself would be a surprise to me.

No. I just thought pointing it out would be enough, without spoon-feeding it too them.

But really, I should have known better. Apparently I'm an optimist. Who knew?

1.) Yes, because personal freedoms for American citizens, a living wage, corporate ownership of the US government and clean air and water are all meaningless compared to "non-partisan" issues like immigration, the stock market and welfare. :w00t:

Thank you for continuing to point out how both sides are equally biased to their own agendas....

2.) Yeah, but we have the guns......

1.) You sound surprised at the sound of one hand clapping. Most of us here aren't. You're listening to the radio station WIIFM here at PPP. What's in it for me.

I think a lot of what get some of us wound up here is the absolute demonization of opposing view that are warped into extreme positions by their opponents. I'm not apologetic in the least about giving back in kind some of the political banter here. Think of it as trash talking in the stands at Heinz Field.

2.) And we're keeping them too.

Apparently I'm an optimist. Who knew?

Holy shlt, now we've seen it all......

I think a lot of what get some of us wound up here is the absolute demonization of opposing view that are warped into extreme positions by their opponents. I'm not apologetic in the least about giving back in kind some of the political banter here.

I like a quality insult but it would be nice to see a little better balance from some folks. I understand this board skews right and that's OK; hell, half my opinions would probably qualify as conservative. But the total lack of self-awareness and introspection from so many people is problematic to me. I think that empty-headed, cheerleader nonsense is a huge reason this country cannot even lead itself, much less provide global leadership to a world in transition.

I guess I would just hope we'd show more of the guts and brains to live up to the exceptionalism we like to proclaim.

Yes, because personal freedoms for American citizens, a living wage, corporate ownership of the US government and clean air and water are all meaningless compared to "non-partisan" issues like immigration, the stock market and welfare. :w00t:

Yeah, but we have the guns......

Consider yourself among the lesser informed and among those who can't prioritize well.

Consider yourself among the lesser informed and among those who can't prioritize well.

And you may continue not considering yourself at all......

Really? Are you telling me that the post-9/11 precedent of executive order and judicial fiat isn't frightening to you?

I agree that it is absolutely problematic and that creeping government overreach has passed beyond the point of no return.

But I'm not so paranoid that I think that there is somebody coming for my guns.

And you may continue not considering yourself at all......

I agree that it is absolutely problematic and that creeping government overreach has passed beyond the point of no return.

But I'm not so paranoid that I think that there is somebody coming for my guns.

Pretty soon they will come for your speech.

Breaking:

Gun sales: White House to seek expanded background checks (without Congressional approval)
AP ^ | December 10. 2015

President Barack Obama's advisers are finalizing a proposal that would expand background checks on gun sales without congressional approval.

White House adviser Valerie Jarrett says the president has asked his team to complete a proposal and submit it for his review "in short order." She says the recommendations will include measures to expand background checks.

(Excerpt) Read more at hosted.ap.org ...

Pretty soon they will come for your speech.

It's already happened. We live in a culture now where everything we say is being recorded and stored -- and we know it. That undoubtedly causes most people to think more about what they say first, to censor themselves in case what they say gets misconstrued or revealed to a larger audience than originally intended.

"They" had better make sure they've found all the guns first ; - )

They don't have to take it from you, they simply have to criminalize ownership.

If ownership is criminalized, using your gun under otherwise appropriate circumstances makes you a criminal.

Defend your family from a gun wielding criminal who has broken into your home using a hand gun, or shotgun? You've committed a felony. You're going to jail. Your family may be complicit if they knew of the gun's existence.