Question about kickers

Can you teach one to kick FG's?

I'm refering to Jordan Gay.

This offseason is it possible for the Bills to work with him on hig accuracy so we could possibly have him handle both kickoffs and field goals? Or is kicking FG's something you either can do or you cant?

Should the Bills draft a kicker and just be done with Carpenter and Gay?

CBF

To some extent, yes. However, bear in mind that the ability to replicate a kick, and CONSISTENTLY kick a ball straight is FAR from trivial.

Much like those long distance golf drivers can hit the ball ~400 yds, & they're probably good golfers (ie scratch or below) in their own right, they're not ever going to be good enough to compete on the tour.

Kicking in the NFL has evolved into a VERY skilled/precise art. To be good these days, you've gotta be able to make 40 yd FGs 90%+ of the time. That's impressive & people able to do that are quite rare.

I'm sure Jordan Gay knows how to kick a field goal. (He kicked them in college.) I would assume that, despite recent misses, Dan Carpenter is still more accurate and reliable. But since Gay has a stronger leg, maybe he can be the guy you bring in for desperation 60+ yard attempts?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Yeah but the funny part is it seems like Carpenter misses less from long distance. It's the short "extra points" that are killing him.

I'm sure Jordan Gay knows how to kick a field goal. (He kicked them in college.) I would assume that, despite recent misses, Dan Carpenter is still more accurate and reliable. But since Gay has a stronger leg, maybe he can be the guy you bring in for desperation 60+ yard attempts?

I don't like having two kickers on the roster all that much since Carp is not quite so $$ anyore. But quite a few teams seem to be struggling with the kicker position this year, so I don't know what else we can do about it.

Yeah but the funny part is it seems like Carpenter misses less from long distance. It's the short "extra points" that are killing him.

I think many kickers are having trouble with the EP's this year. The Steelers went through a ton of kickers after theirs got injured in pre-season. The guys on Sirrius were discussing the higher % of missed EP's prior to the Bills game. It's odd. Perhaps the stress is getting to Carp on the EP's? And as you correctly stated, he is money from longer distances. I would not replace him in the offseason unless you have a sure-fire better guy. And there are few of those. The kicker from Cleveland, for example, can't hit a FG over 44 yards.

.... and maybe those pesky extra points? They seem to be an act of desperation at times. Ugh!

Do you all think the Bills should draft a kicker this year?

CBF

How high could you justify the FSU kicker? I'd love him.... but.... at what price. Kickers just seem to appear from some kicker warehouse. But sometimes they kick like our kickers and you have to go back to the warehouse. :(

How high could you justify the FSU kicker? I'd love him.... but.... at what price. Kickers just seem to appear from some kicker warehouse. But sometimes they kick like our kickers and you have to go back to the warehouse. :(

If he's as good as people say he wont last past round 5

CBF

If he's as good as people say he wont last past round 5

CBF

.... or, just to see the fan reaction, maybe we will follow the Raiders lead in drafting FSU kickers at take him at #17 overall! Imagine the uproar! It would be legendary!!! Chicken Little would reign!

Actually, Gay doesn't appear to be able to kick it out of the end zone anymore either. Most of his kicks against KC were right at the goal line and the week before not much better. Both kickers IMO need to go and I would be OK using a draft pick to get ONE good solid kicker who can handle both duties.

Actually, Gay doesn't appear to be able to kick it out of the end zone anymore either. Most of his kicks against KC were right at the goal line and the week before not much better. Both kickers IMO need to go and I would be OK using a draft pick to get ONE good solid kicker who can handle both duties.

I think a lot of that had to do with the wind

CBF

I'm amazed that there aren't more latin american or european kickers working night day to get an NFL shot, considering the hundreds of millions of soccer players out there.

Its the ultimate golden ticket. Heck you don't even need to speak English.

See ball, kick ball between tall trees. Repeat. Once you can do this 500 times in a row, write letter to Senor Whaley.

.... or, just to see the fan reaction, maybe we will follow the Raiders lead in drafting FSU kickers at take him at #17 overall! Imagine the uproar! It would be legendary!!! Chicken Little would reign!

Will he still be there at 32?

The Raiders did OK with drafting Janokowski. The Eagles did OK drafting Tony Franklin as well.

On a technical note, you kick a kickoff from a tee. You kick a FG off the ground. Maye that has something to do with it?

I hate this new Extra Point thing. If anything, kicking should made a less important part of the game, not more IMHO.

Edited by reddogblitz

I think given how close todays NFL games are, that having a top kicker is vital to a teams success

I mean look at the Pats*** against the Broncos.

Sure they lost in OT but their kicker nailed that 47 yard FG in snow at the last second to send the game to OT

If the Bills are in that situation, does Carpenter make that kick?

CBF