Schwartz vs Ryan

TPS

I think Schwartz is better head coaching material than Ryan.

First and foremost, Schwartz is intelligent and a good football mind. When he was hired by the Bills I posted a thread about the parallels between Schwartz and Belichick (here).

Last summer I started a post about the hype of Ryan's D vs the results Schwartz got (here). It appears Ryan's D will not eclipse Schwartz on the most important stat, ppg.

My point: Pegulas, admit Ryan was mistake. Get Schwartz back here before someone else picks him up. Ryan may be a good D coordinator, but as a head coach, he just doesn't have IT, and I believe the Schwartz does.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

First and foremost, Schwartz is intelligent and a good football mind. When he was hired by the Bills I posted a thread about the parallels between Schwartz and Belichick (here).

Last summer I started a post about the hype of Ryan's D vs the results Schwartz got (here). It appears Ryan's D will not eclipse Schwartz on the most important stat, ppg.

My point: Pegulas, admit Ryan was mistake. Get Schwartz back here before someone else picks him up. Ryan may be a good D coordinator, but as a head coach, he just doesn't have IT, and I believe the Schwartz does.

That is just a ridiculous comparison. If you look at the statistics, historically Rex's teams were much superior to Schwartz's. Ironically, this is the worst defensive unit that Ryan has overseen in his career. Schwartz's D units always needed stars to excel, and that's why they dropped when Detroit lost some key players in '13.

Bills D would very likely had been better this year with Schwartz in charge. It's a different question if the defense would be better in '16 and '17 which is what Pegulas care a lot more about.

That is just a ridiculous comparison. If you look at the statistics, historically Rex's teams were much superior to Schwartz's. Ironically, this is the worst defensive unit that Ryan has overseen in his career. Schwartz's D units always needed stars to excel, and that's why they dropped when Detroit lost some key players in '13.

Bills D would very likely had been better this year with Schwartz in charge. It's a different question if the defense would be better in '16 and '17 which is what Pegulas care a lot more about.

Not buying the Rex's defenses will be better over the long haul. Schwartz had his best year as a D coordinator last year because he learned from being a head coach. I was all for Rex but I do believe Schwartz will be a superior head coach on his second go round.

Or someone could say, for arguments sake, that Rex needs D players that are so-so that will do anything to buy into his scheme to make it and them work where as it simply doesn't work with star D players because they hate to drop back instead of creating push and going after QBs.

Schwartz was a false boy genius and a lousy head coach.

Despite the appearance that he is an organized coach his Detroit teams were a disorganized mess.

Most of the same issue Rex is having now.

Defensively, Schwartz only ran his system and it only worked when he had great talent on his DL.

When he didn't have THAT much talent it looked like this years Bills defense virtually every time.

That said......he was the right hire at the right time.

His D put these particular players into the positions that the Bills had hoped Wanny's D would.

iMO it was much easier physically on the personnel as well.

This 2 gap, wrestle-with-guys-that-outweigh-you-by-70-pounds approach on the DL only suited the scheme-versatile Dareus(though he doesn't like it much either).

I have no question that Rex's overall scheme is better.........but now wasn't the time to fix something that wasn't broken.

The Bills didn't need Schwartz to run his D.

Rex D is complicated.......Schwartz D is not.

Rex tried to fix something that wasn't broke and now it's sure enough f*cking broke.

Either he has guys like Mario and KW and Bradham back in a poor scheme fit or the Bills are eating huge cap dollars and wasting chips on replacements while they potentially stock other teams defenses with talent.

We've seen this BS before with regime changes.

It was stupid and unnecessary to switch defensive schemes this season.

My problem with Rex is the overscheming. We have the players. He needs to let the payers do what they do well and play to their strengths. Dareus in coverage is ridiculous. Rex is overthinking everything. There is nothing wrong with simplifying when you can rely on your players to make plays. For that reason alone, I'd welcome Schwartz back.

I feel that this is the best overall roster we've had in over a decade.. And Rex has them playing lazy, sloppy, undisciplined and uninspired football. For this reason more importantly, I'd welcome just about anyone in to take the reigns.

I'm done with this clown. Nothing would make me happier than to see Pegula take ownership of this 'situation'. There is no reason whatsoever that this team shouldn't be in the postseason.

Despite the appearance that he is an organized coach his Detroit teams were a disorganized mess.

Defensively, Schwartz only ran his system and it only worked when he had great talent on his DL.

When he didn't have THAT much talent it looked like this years Bills defense virtually every time.

His D put these particular players into the positions that the Bills had hoped Wanny's D would.

This 2 gap, wrestle-with-guys-that-outweigh-you-by-70-pounds approach on the DL only suited the scheme-versatile Dareus(though he doesn't like it much either).

I have no question that Rex's overall scheme is better.........but now wasn't the time to fix something that wasn't broken.

Rex tried to fix something that wasn't broke and now it's sure enough f*cking broke.

Either he has guys like Mario and KW and Bradham back in a poor scheme fit or the Bills are eating huge cap dollars and wasting chips on replacements while they potentially stock other teams defenses with talent.

It's hard to disagree with you lately...

I'll take Schwartz easily as running the D in "16 and '17 over the mouth with no money in it.

I'm probably biased on this, but this is Ryan's second go-round, and he's not showing me that he's headed in the right direction on the "smart scale." Schwartz is an intelligent man, and I would wager that he will be more successful in his second go than Ryan.

Regarding your other post, about ownership needing to step in. They don't need to be babysitters for a head coach. Ryan is showing that he hasn't learned from this past mistakes. At best he's a D coordinator. He is not HC material.

Edited by TPS

I'm probably biased on this, but this is Ryan's second go-round, and he's not showing me that he's headed in the right direction on the "smart scale." Schwartz is an intelligent man, and I would wager that he will be more successful in his second go than Ryan.

Regarding your other post, about ownership needing to step in. They don't need to be babysitters for a head coach. Ryan is showing that he hasn't learn from this past mistakes. At best he's a D coordinator. He is not HC material.

Ryan has definitely not shown that he has learned a thing after losing the Jets job.

But Schwartz never really deserved his first shot. He was a mediocre DC who benefitted in the job market from being a Belichick protege and then working under the then-respected Jeff Fisher.

He's an intelligent man the way Greggo Williams is an intelligent man.

And Schwartz and Rex are similar in the fact that they put a ton of research into their side of the ball.........but they were both sloppy HC's.

Will Schwartz be better next time? I see no reason to believe that.

As for my point about the Pegula's.......if they want to get better results from Rex they are going to have to intervene.

If it takes babysitting......so be it.......it's their fault......they hired him.

If they instead chose to fire him.......again, so be it......but bear in mind that Ralph already proved that coming off as a mercurial owner does not help you get the best coaching and front office personnel and having one coach quit and another one fired in 12 months is very Dan Snyder-esque so IMO that is a much bigger decision than whether to just eat $20M in salary.

Yup.. Just wait, they will drop salary by cutting someone on the d-line (like Mario and maybe Kyle). Then Rex will get his way and bring in some more former Jet losers, we will overpay them. Meanwhile, we lose Roman to a head coaching job.. Rex will bring in some other a-hole free agent who is old and overpaid.. We will get some cast off bottom of the barrel OC that is now a mismatch for the offensive talent. We won't draft a quarterback or a big receiver. Next year we finish 6-10 also because that is exactly what Rex's jets do. We are all kidding ourselves if we don't realize that we are the jets. This is just my opinion and I hope I'm totally wrong Edited by SJDK

Yup.. Just wait, they will drop salary by cutting someone on the d-line (like Mario and maybe Kyle). Then Rex will get his way and bring in some more former Jet losers, we will overpay them. Meanwhile, we lose Roman to a head coaching job.. Rex will bring in some other a-hole free agent who is old and overpaid.. We will get some cast off bottom of the barrel OC that is now a mismatch for the offensive talent. We won't draft a quarterback or a big receiver. Next year we finish 6-10 also because that is exactly what Rex's jets do. We are all kidding ourselves if we don't realize that we are the jets. This is just my opinion and I hope I'm totally wrong

Wow.. Mind = Blown.

We are the Jets.

The issue I have is why would Ryan drop these pass rushing studs into coverage.... Ever????? The sacks generated last year were phenomenal. Hughes inks a deal to keep this front intact. And you drop them in coverage????? I take huge issue with this absolutely boneheaded decision. If the back of this defense gets beat so be it. But last year tells us all we need to know. If a QB is hurried he'll make mistakes. The complex scheme Ryan dials up is doing this defense and team zero favors.

Edited by BeefCurtns

Rex f'ked this D to the bowels of hell. It is unnerving to watch the Bills lose this way. We had the talent to go 11-5 or better. We will be lucky to go 8-8 and REX is to blame. His undisciplined BS D and lame duck O are truly pathetic to watch. What a waste of talent. Another year wasted.

As Danny Glover infamously said, "I'm too old for this ****!"

I didn't want Rex but it's not that I had anything against Rex it was just that we had excellent 4-3 personnel and Rex coaches 3-4 defense.

The whole premise of the Bills being a playoff team was "dude we went 9-7 with a great defense and a terrible offense so if we can keep our defense the same and improve our offense we can go 10-6 or 11-5 and make the playoffs"

Now combine a crazy number of injuries, stupid player penalties, stupid ref penalties, a defense with an eight game learning curve and doesn't quite fit the players strengths, a backup QB that couldn't get the hard win and then couldn't get the easy win, with coaches which in a sad Bills tradition can't make in game adjustments and Bills fans on the outside looking in.

next year I expect Rex to still be here and moving closer to the type of defense he likes, M Williams, K Williams, M Lawson, Leodis McKelvin and Percy Harvin I expect will all be cap casualties saving the Bills around 25mil

Dareus will be moved to 3-4 DE and Jerry Hughes to OLB, I expect Rex to grab more than one NT in free agency

I expect WR and OT will be the priority on offense and OLB and DE on defense in free agency and the draft

Regarding your other post, about ownership needing to step in. They don't need to be babysitters for a head coach. Ryan is showing that he hasn't learned from this past mistakes. At best he's a D coordinator. He is not HC material.

Actually, since Ryan reports to the Pegula's (an unusual situation to say the least), the Pegs DO have to step in........in a normal world, the coach works for the GM. But, Whaley didn't get to hire "his" coach, so Ryan is Pegs problem.......

I believe in Schwartz too, and we should have made him head coach regardless of what happened in Detroit. That's the coaches graveyard. He'd have done very well here.