The Buffalo Bills and the Lack of YAC

Last in the NFL. Very concerning considering our GM's huge investments in Watkins, Clay and McCoy.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-yards-after-catch-statistics/2015/

From a personal standpoint I don't think we have a single player within the top 50 in YAC.

Tyrod has not been good at throwing with anticipation on intermediate throws......which is where the YAC adds up.

But he's also been charged with not turning the ball over because this defense has not been able to protect leads so the tradeoff appears to be making safe throws that rarely result in YAC.

I don't like the lack of YAC but the yards per attempt from Tyrod has been excellent and they've had a ton of big pass completions.

I blame the QB. The throw is rarely in rhhytm and usually late. So it's rarely in a good position for YAC. Tyrod often won't throw until he's bought extra time, receivers have re routed and stopped. They may be open , but not on the move. Again, not a great YAC scenario. I think the Bills top skill position guys are more than capable of YAC, so it's more on timing and ball placement , aka the quarterback.

I blame the QB. The throw is rarely in rhhytm and usually late. So it's rarely in a good position for YAC. Tyrod often won't throw until he's bought extra time, receivers have re routed and stopped. They may be open , but not on the move. Again, not a great YAC scenario. I think the Bills top skill position guys are more than capable of YAC, so it's more on timing and ball placement , aka the quarterback.

No question it's a product of the QB not throwing into the unknown but when you have a bad defense and bad special teams there is no room for turnovers.

We need more short passes to McCoy, Clay, and Sammy. Get the ball in their hands on plays aside from just the deep balls. Woods and Hogan are terrible with the ball in their hands, and they seem to be who we target on short passes. Sammy has track athlete speed, and we're busy throwing all the short routes to Hogan. This team drives me crazy. Sure the deep balls to Sammy were great today, but get him involved in other ways as well. In the post game presser Rex said they dropped the safeties back in the second half to slow Sammy. Why didn't we run some short routes with him then? That would solve the YAC issue, but then again Roman has already earned a spot in my dog house.

No question it's a product of the QB not throwing into the unknown but when you have a bad defense and bad special teams there is no room for turnovers.

That's what the Bills must decide. If the defense isn't dominant ( especially in it's current weakened state) then are the points being left off the board by the cautious QB play more valuable than the potential risk of more turnovers. I think the rules favoring offensive football might make it one worth taking.

The QB is either being coached to not make turnovers or just plainly can not see guy s open in center of the field. tHe problem I see is that we don't do earlier crossing routes or short routes under the safeties. Yesterday in first half Sammy and woods on same side a lot and both would run deep routes without any attempts to cross routes just one going very deep and other working into that 20 yard territory. We have very little pre snap movement but what do you expect when your game plan philosophy is ground and pound

When you do not have a QB who can hit receivers in stride over the middle - you do not get YAC. TT is the most over rated passer in the NFL. If you are a stats guys, then look at his and feel good - but he has never passed the eye test. His throws are usually late and even many of his deep balls are under thrown to open receiver who have to slow down to catch the ball. Many times he just puts to much air under the ball, which results it underthrows. Thus no YAC.

Tyrod has not been good at throwing with anticipation on intermediate throws......which is where the YAC adds up.

This. The throw in the third quarter to Hogan that ended up incomplete is a classic case of this. A crossing route, Hogan has his man beat... if the ball is infront of him he is catching it and there is 10-15 yards of YAC infront of him. It is behind him, he has to slow down and reach a bit behind himself, the defender gets a hand in... probably could still have been caught but it was a difficult catch and even if it was he was going down on the spot.

In nearly two years I cannot remember him being thrown one screen with the Bills. Can anyone else?

Once. And I am pretty sure he took it for a touchdown. It was either a screen or a quick slant.

Quick slants and screens are non existent in this offense for whatever reason. Woods was great at catching quick slants in college. The scheme just isn't there. It was nice to see Tyrod taking some deeper drops this week though. It was driving me nuts watching him take these shallow 5 step drops. The shorter you are, the deeper a drop you need to take to see the field.

And not to harp on Sammy but does anyone else notice he falls down every time he tries to run after the catch? It's like watching a baby giraffe trying to run for the first time.

Once. And I am pretty sure he took it for a touchdown. It was either a screen or a quick slant.

Quick slants and screens are non existent in this offense for whatever reason. Woods was great at catching quick slants in college. The scheme just isn't there. It was nice to see Tyrod taking some deeper drops this week though. It was driving me nuts watching him take these shallow 5 step drops. The shorter you are, the deeper a drop you need to take to see the field.

And not to harp on Sammy but does anyone else notice he falls down every time he tries to run after the catch? It's like watching a baby giraffe trying to run for the first time.

He took a quick slant the distance against the Jets last year. I can't remember a screen.