What's the Tipping Point?

Corp000085

So, I've read thread after thread after thread about the Pats cheating, collusion with the league and Kraft, bad officiating, not showing replays of obvious made up penalty calls, possible gambling connections, poor on field play due to Thursday night football, etc., etc., etc.

What's your tipping point though? I'm pretty close but I'm not there yet. Personally, I found it completely comical that Gruden literally said "just give it to em" on the Shady TD. That's an obvious reference to that infamous game and possibly a subtle admission by Gruden that this whole thing is fixed... I'm close, but not there yet. I don't know what my tipping point will be where I just stop being a fan.

What's yours?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wondered if Gruden was trolling when he said that…that is a deep reference that only a Bills fan would catch. BUT

In 98, Gruden was in his first season as HC of the Raiders and they were 7-4 and in the WC hunt when the Bills played the Pats

The Bills and Pats were 7-4/6-4 when they played that game.

I would say that as a first year HC in a WC race, with 2 of your potential opponents playing each other on a Sun night game, Chuckie was all over it.

My verdict: He knew exactly what he was saying and what it meant! By the way he said it, he probably thinks we got jobbed then.

This very important research is concluded. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking it won't stop till there is a legit whistleblower case... I contended about 6 weeks ago in a thread that someone's gotta step up and initiate a FIFA-like investigation. The NFL is far too large of an organization for everyone to keep their mouths shut. It may not happen today, it may not happen next year, or even next decade, but there's a canary out there somewhere.

I'm thinking it won't stop till there is a legit whistleblower case... I contended about 6 weeks ago in a thread that someone's gotta step up and initiate a FIFA-like investigation. The NFL is far too large of an organization for everyone to keep their mouths shut. It may not happen today, it may not happen next year, or even next decade, but there's a canary out there somewhere.

Once the league destroyed all the evidence of Pats* spying.....that was the end....

There was that report (from ESPN?) back before the season started that claimed there has been way more cheating going on than what has come to light. When does that story come out?

In the post-deflategate era, there just seems to be a forced "well let's just move on, Brady and Belichick are still clearly the GOAT" narrative. It feels like, above all else, nobody wants to take down a multi-billion dollar industry and stop their various gravy trains from flowing. This is true in most media outlets, including our local ones.

I know, many view this as looney tunes conspiracy theorizing. But if there WAS widespread cheating and a fix was in on some level, this is exactly how the powers that be would behave.

It won't end until the majority of owners revolt and seek change from within.

For now, they are fat and happy just making lots of money on their purchases. Have to remember, Kraft is at the apex of his power, at the head of the table. He put his own guy in the Commissioners office. He's got the legalized sports betting "fantasy football" that was years in the making, and an extremely profitable franchise. All of them are making great money because of him.

Ralph Wilson irritated many of the "new" owners over the years - he was often the lone dissenting opinion in a sea of yes men owners on subjects ranging from free agency to CBAs - and I think he and his franchise paid for it.

I am sure that Gruden memorized and studied up on that 1998 Bills/Pats' game, just to stick it to us. :doh:

No but something he recalled and referenced on the fly perhaps? Not everything has to be to an extreme.

Once the league destroyed all the evidence of Pats* spying.....that was the end....

Agreed...but the tuck rule provided the foundation for many....that was just atrocious. Had to have "the Patriots" in the first post 9-11 super bowl.

I myself have already reached the tipping point. I just can't bring myself to care as much about the NFL as I did before. The Pats* are rewarded for skirting the rules and I can't even be mad at them. Tell me right now you wouldn't take the reputation of a cheater if it came with 4 super bowl championships. At the end of the day the Pats* make a ton of money for themselves and the league. The NFL is a business. Goodell is in place to maximize profits like any good ceo would. It isn't worth caring enough to get upset anymore.

what the heck is it with people lately going off the deep end and thinking the NFL is rigged? rigged by who? Kraft? Goodell? Are all owners "in on it"? the notion is ridiculous. Rewarded by who????

The NFL is a business, you're right. And that business consists of 32 owners. So are the other 31 owners in on the patriots "cheating"? How do the Jaguars benefit from this "cheating"? And why the Pats? Why wouldn't the Titans owner want the Dallas cowboys to "cheat" and win the super bowl? After all, the Dallas market is bigger than NE. Why don't the owners just fix it so the NY Jets win it every single season. Or you know what, what about Goodell making the Bears win it every year.

You guys see ghosts. It's sad.

Since Goodell has been in office, the patriots have won ONE super bowl in 9 years.

With Tagliabu in office, the Patriots won THREE super bowls (in three out of four years in early/mid 2000s). Was Tagliabu "in on it" too?

Critical thinking in this country has been flushed down the toilet along with a lot of other things.

Edited by bobobonators

There really is no tipping point. You just recognize that it is what it is and either enjoy it or you don't. When they play the Pats the Bills are like the no name wrestler who would take on Ric Flair in a 1980's NWA match on TBS.

Yeah - Patriots are a perfect Heel champ. They cheat - but they have the clout to get out of everything they do.

And we're just some crappy local jobber.

No but something he recalled and referenced on the fly perhaps? Not everything has to be to an extreme.

Agreed...but the tuck rule provided the foundation for many....that was just atrocious. Had to have "the Patriots" in the first post 9-11 super bowl.

"Just give it to them" is as Bills-specific reference there is. I am willing to bet almost no pats fans know this; I also bet almost the entire bills team and staff doesn't either. You basically have to be a long-time diehard Bills fan to know that reference.

I just can't fathom jon Gruden, of all

People, knowing the reference.

"Just give it to them" is as Bills-specific reference there is. I am willing to bet almost no pats fans know this; I also bet almost the entire bills team and staff doesn't either. You basically have to be a long-time diehard Bills fan to know that reference.

I definitely think he knew exactly what he was saying and if anything it was pro Bills. He's a game watching freak of nature. I would bet anything he knew about that. I agree with most of the rest of your post, that vast majority know nothing of it.

I was 11 when i watched that game, and i remember it pretty clearly. We didn't line up for the extra point we were so pissed off.