Refugee Crisis in the U. S. (?)

B-Man

There's nothing stopping "so-called president" Trump from retracting the unconstitutional EO and creating a new one that is vetted by the Justice and Homeland Security departments to meet constitutional requirements, except for his ego that prevents him from admitting he is wrong. So stupid and (small) ham-handed.

There's nothing stopping "so-called president" Trump from retracting the unconstitutional EO and creating a new one that is vetted by the Justice and Homeland Security departments to meet constitutional requirements, except for his ego that prevents him from admitting he is wrong. So stupid and (small) ham-handed.

As was already pointed out, this should be a positive day for anyone who actually values the constitution and principles under which this nation is supposed to operate. If anything it should assuage some of the more nightmarish scenarios being pushed by the fearmongers on the left and in the media.

Thus...the checks and balances start to come in to effect. The Oompa-Loompa-in-Chief, it turns out, can't do whatever the !@#$ he wants.

http://ijr.com/wildfire/2017/02/794398-this-magnificent-video-of-trump-listening-to-obama-clinton-on-immigration-is-just-what-the-worlds-been-waiting-for/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

While much of the nation is “shocked, shocked I tell you,” by President Trump's travel ban order, as well as his determination to enforce the country's borders, a video has come along that puts the faux hysteria into perfect context: Trump listening to former Presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama on illegal immigration.

One thing noticeably absent: Mobs of protesters torching buildings and assaulting citizens after Clinton and Obama spoke out against illegal immigration.

As was already pointed out, this should be a positive day for anyone who actually values the constitution and principles under which this nation is supposed to operate. If anything it should assuage some of the more nightmarish scenarios being pushed by the fearmongers on the left and in the media.

I'm thinking that someone who refers to Trump as the "so-called" president doesn't value the Constitution to any meaningful degree.

9th circuit's ruling is in...

Court shoots down the ban.

I just finished reading that decision. That's was transparent judicial elasticism at its finest. What a crock of crap. I'm not expressing an opinion on the administration's policy or how it was implemented. It does look like Trump's legal team vomited on itself, but that fact shouldn't permit the Court from making up crap just to take advantage of its own self-interest (and I'm not even saying that it is a politically-motivated decision).

The court was deciding a motion to reinstate the ban. They went out of their way to say that the States' marginal standing claim has merit "at this stage" of the proceeding. The logic they used to support standing to argue for the citizens of seven foreign countries is stupid. They say that Washington and Minnesota can argue on behalf of their State University faculty and students and their families affected by the ban. Okay, fine, but then the court could have/should have restored the ban to only State University students and faculty -- not EVERYONE. Later, they say that the 5th amendment protects "individuals" even who don't reside here and aren't green card holders, but who hold visas. How then does that apply to Syrian refugees who have no such status. Huh? How does that follow?

They went out of their way to say that their decision is only really in effect until the appeal of the district court order is decided and "at this stage" it appears that the government doesn't have a winnable case on the merits. The court's reasoning and logic was flimsy and disengenuous at best. It seems pretty clear that they don't care because their self-interest had to be to get the spotlight off of them for the time being.

Checks and balances are one thing (and one thing I was hopeful for no matter who won the election in November) but one branch can't make s**t up just to exercise restraint on another. That's abuse and it's lame and it is especially lame when courts do it.

Edited by snafu

Rest comfortably tonight Pasta Joe knowing that Isis is sending people to our country that want to cut your throat and burn your family alive.

Might wanna direct your ire from non existant demons to something more tangible to the safety of the republic....like say maybe pre-election negotiations with the russians.....

Might wanna direct your ire from non existant demons to something more tangible to the safety of the republic....like say maybe pre-election negotiations with the russians.....

Reset button

I'll have more flexibility after the election

http://ijr.com/wildfire/2017/02/794398-this-magnificent-video-of-trump-listening-to-obama-clinton-on-immigration-is-just-what-the-worlds-been-waiting-for/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

While much of the nation is “shocked, shocked I tell you,” by President Trump's travel ban order, as well as his determination to enforce the country's borders, a video has come along that puts the faux hysteria into perfect context: Trump listening to former Presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama on illegal immigration.

One thing noticeably absent: Mobs of protesters torching buildings and assaulting citizens after Clinton and Obama spoke out against illegal immigration.

I think I posted this yesterday.

I can't figure it out. Rational people can be shown this, and dismiss it. Close friends and family, people I respect, but they refuse to see the contradictions in their reactions.

I just finished reading that decision. That's was transparent judicial elasticism at its finest. What a crock of crap. I'm not expressing an opinion on the administration's policy or how it was implemented. It does look like Trump's legal team vomited on itself, but that fact shouldn't permit the Court from making up crap just to take advantage of its own self-interest (and I'm not even saying that it is a politically-motivated decision).

The court was deciding a motion to reinstate the ban. They went out of their way to say that the States' marginal standing claim has merit "at this stage" of the proceeding. The logic they used to support standing to argue for the citizens of seven foreign countries is stupid. They say that Washington and Minnesota can argue on behalf of their State University faculty and students and their families affected by the ban. Okay, fine, but then the court could have/should have restored the ban to only State University students and faculty -- not EVERYONE. Later, they say that the 5th amendment protects "individuals" even who don't reside here and aren't green card holders, but who hold visas. How then does that apply to Syrian refugees who have no such status. Huh? How does that follow?

They went out of their way to say that their decision is only really in effect until the appeal of the district court order is decided and "at this stage" it appears that the government doesn't have a winnable case on the merits. The court's reasoning and logic was flimsy and disengenuous at best. It seems pretty clear that they don't care because their self-interest had to be to get the spotlight off of them for the time being.

Checks and balances are one thing (and one thing I was hopeful for no matter who won the election in November) but one branch can't make s**t up just to exercise restraint on another. That's abuse and it's lame and it is especially lame when courts do it.

EUGENE KONTOROVICH: The 9th Circuit’s dangerous and unprecedented use of campaign statements to block presidential policy.