Refugee Crisis in the U. S. (?)

B-Man

I was in Australia a couple of years ago when their former Prime Minister Paul Keating openly questions the Australia-US alliance. In effect he said that Australia always had America's back, but he wasn't at all certain that America would ever again have Australia's back.

Not sure where to put this so I'll put this here.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/the-slaughterhouse-since-2011-at-least-13000-hanged-in-syrian-prison-where-death-was-the-simplest-thing

“The horrors depicted in this report reveal a hidden, monstrous campaign, authorized at the highest levels of the Syrian government, aimed at crushing any form of dissent within the Syrian population,” Maalouf said.

While the most recent data is from 2015, Maalouf said there is no reason to believe the practice has stopped since then, with thousands more probably killed.

“These executions take place after a sham trial that lasts over a minute or two minutes, but they are authorized by the highest levels of authority,” including the Grand Mufti, a top religious authority in Syria, and the defence minister, she said.

The chilling accounts in Tuesday’s report came from interviews with 31 former detainees and over 50 other officials and experts, including former guards and judges.

According to the findings, detainees were told they would be transferred to civilian detention centres but were taken instead to another building in the facility and hanged.

“They walked in the ‘train,’ so they had their heads down and were trying to catch the shirt of the person in front of them. The first time I saw them, I was horrified. They were being taken to the slaughterhouse,” Hamid, a former detainee, told Amnesty.

9th circuit's ruling is in...

Court shoots down the ban.

I'm curious of their reasoning.

The interesting thing is that although the logic behind the ban is !@#$ed sideways, and the XO itself a goddamn disaster, the administration actually has a legal point. The President does have broad powers to restrict travel by foreigners from overseas. They don't extend to banning travel by Green Card holders, but do extend to visa holders. And a visa doesn't give someone the right to enter the country, it gives them the right to petition to enter the country - meaning, it lets them ask Customs if they can come in.

So I'm curious about the court's decision - I wonder if they shot down the ban because even though the President has that authority, the exercise of it was so !@#$ed up that they had no choice but to kill it in toto. Or if they really decided the President doesn't have that authority. Or, representative of this administration's inability to do anything without turning it into a circus, the administration simply couldn't put together a coherent argument in the time they had, or never gave it a second thought and were blindsided by the challenge. Or if there was some other rationale.

Here's the opinion.

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2017/02/09/17-35105.pdf

Trump's response: "See you in court, the security of our nation is at stake!"

:lol:

And...looks like all of the above. The administration simply couldn't get out of its own way, and Trump's twitterrhia worked against him.

Thus...the checks and balances start to come in to effect. The Oompa-Loompa-in-Chief, it turns out, can't do whatever the !@#$ he wants.