11 days to prepare for the Pats*

scribo

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I forget who was the OP, but wasn't there a thread after the first game that Ryan was just setting up the P*ts by using such a baffling game plan in week 2? That it was all a ruse and Ryan was going to unleash the dogs of war on MNF?

I mean, it was a silly concept (and this from a guy who likes conspiracy theories), but now I'm hoping it's accurate.

Agreed. Hardest team in the league to scheme for.

I would make Gronk the priority, though. I sometimes wonder if Bellyache was scheming to face his own team, what would he do. History suggests he would ID the thing you do best and take it away. I gotta believe that is Gronk. He seems to be the key to all of their scheme flexibility.

GO BILLS!!!

I think that Belichick would be scheming to make Brady hold the ball.

I think he'd use a LB like Bradham to clobber Gronk when he lines up tight to the LOS (trailing him with Graham or McKelvin) and play press all day against Edelman. When Gronk flexes out, he'd play man coverage with Gilmore (like he did against Jimmy Graham with Aquib Talib). He'd play the entire game in nickel with McKelvin and Graham as the safeties so that they essentially have 5 CBs on the field.

He'd also assign one of his 5 DBs to the RB every play. Straight up man coverage on all the passing targets. Sure, it exposes guys to getting beat, but that's the price you pay for making Brady hold the ball.

After that, he'd have his front 4 in attack mode. Dare the offense to try to beat you with counters and draws by Blount.

Without Lewis, I think I may put Leodis or Graham on whomever is playing #2 WW and let them man cover all over the field. Put Darby on Edelman and let him go one on one. Robey on Amendola if he is in the game. And Gilmore on Gronk with the other safety shaded to Gronk every play. We will get beat sometimes but I think our man on man guys can do that.

I think that Belichick would be scheming to make Brady hold the ball.

I think he'd use a LB like Bradham to clobber Gronk when he lines up tight to the LOS (trailing him with Graham or McKelvin) and play press all day against Edelman. When Gronk flexes out, he'd play man coverage with Gilmore (like he did against Jimmy Graham with Aquib Talib). He'd play the entire game in nickel with McKelvin and Graham as the safeties so that they essentially have 5 CBs on the field.

He'd also assign one of his 5 DBs to the RB every play. Straight up man coverage on all the passing targets. Sure, it exposes guys to getting beat, but that's the price you pay for making Brady hold the ball.

After that, he'd have his front 4 in attack mode. Dare the offense to try to beat you with counters and draws by Blount.

I like it. And I didn't mean to suggest Brady wasn't the most important aspect of everything they do on offense, just that Gronk is what gives them the most flexibility for Brady to exploit.

It's a tall order,regardless. You go with that nickel base and they kill you with double TE run sets and punish the hell out of your smaller lineup while running an up tempo no huddle that makes sub packages a moot point. And when you do get to finally bring in some bigs, they flex both TEs and dare your boys to keep up.

I don't like the prospects of Brown and Bradham at all. They were exposed last year on shallow crossers and NE**** feasts on that.

Hard to say what poison tastes better.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I like it. And I didn't mean to suggest Brady wasn't the most important aspect of everything they do on offense, just that Gronk is what gives them the most flexibility for Brady to exploit.

It's a tall order,regardless. You go with that nickel base and they kill you with double TE run sets and punish the hell out of your smaller lineup while running an up tempo no huddle that makes sub packages a moot point. And when you do get to finally bring in some bigs, they flex both TEs and dare your boys to keep up.

I don't like the prospects of Brown and Bradham at all. They were exposed last year on shallow crossers and NE**** feasts on that.

Hard to say what poison tastes better.

GO BILLS!!!

Yes, their double TE is what bothers me too.

My one substitution would be Lawson for Robey when they go to 2-TE. He may not be capable of covering Gronk 1-on-1, but I'll take Lawson against Chandler all day.

Regardless, if they don't get to Brady by making him hold the ball, it really doesn't matter what they do on the back end (we all saw that in the 2nd half of last year's home game against them).

Rex has already said that he is going to be in Syracuse to watch his son play tomorrow. Hopefully, he gets back to work soon.

its just a trip from Buffalo to Cuse and back. I'm sure he is working the rest of the time. Glad the schedule worked out like this for him with his son so close on a weekend they don't play. Edited by YoloinOhio

You can't play a traditional defense against a team that plays no traditional offense.

If you march out there and do exactly what you've done before thinking you're some kind of stonecutter and on the 1,000 strike you'll beat them with "your" predictable system that's gotten you two coaching jobs, you'll lose the game.

You almost have to install a special scheme for the Pats and require your players to be smart and execute it.

Absent a mortal day from Brady, we will lose that game because Ryan is predictable.

How the Pats are camouflaging their OL flaws is the key. There is no reason we should not be able to capitalize on that O line even with the quick pass routes. You get to Brady as he releases and put a body on him 4 or 5 times and even he will start to flinch and dance a bit in the pocket. I don't want late hits or cheap shots, I want our theoretically more talented line to simply outplay their less talented line.

To make that happen our staff needs to outdo the Pats staff and I do not know if they will.

How the Pats are camouflaging their OL flaws is the key. There is no reason we should not be able to capitalize on that O line even with the quick pass routes. You get to Brady as he releases and put a body on him 4 or 5 times and even he will start to flinch and dance a bit in the pocket. I don't want late hits or cheap shots, I want our theoretically more talented line to simply outplay their less talented line.

To make that happen our staff needs to outdo the Pats staff and I do not know if they will.

The key to that is actually in the back 7. The CBs and LBs need to take away the quick stuff, which means man coverage everywhere.

The QB is always the key to beating the pressure; if he can get the ball out to an open target consistently, the pressure won't get to him.

The key to that is actually in the back 7. The CBs and LBs need to take away the quick stuff, which means man coverage everywhere.

The QB is always the key to beating the pressure; if he can get the ball out to an open target consistently, the pressure won't get to him.

We agree the key is stopping the quick stuff, we differ in how to focus to get there. I prefer doing it by attacking what I see as their one weakness, the OL. Nothing our DL does will matter if the back 7 are unable to hold up their end just like nothing the back 7 does will matter if the front 4 are invisible. I just prefer to focus the attack where they look to be weakest.

Not looking for them to win, being practical, the Bill will be well rested and have time to game plan NE. NE is extremely to beat at home and on MNF almost impossible to beat. I give the Bills a sluggers chance to get the upset win.