Colorblind fans watching had no idea what was going on...

Big Turk

I looked it up. It says the daughter of a color blind man could inherit normal cones from the mother and abnormal cones from the father, which could then lead to a girl with enhanced color sensitivity. I believe that my daughter could have that trait. I will talk to her about it when I get a chance. :thumbsup:

Ha! That was it... ALL gals have us beat w/color... ;-)

I am not colorblind... But pick out some bad combos... LoL...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

everyone knows that last night and those god awful uniforms were all about making money. There were no considerations besides making more $. The announcers said that was the first time the Bills had ever worn the all reds and let's hope it was the last. We looked like the Arizona Cardinals.

terrible!

The color did not appear "red" to me - compare the color of the ref on the helmet with the uniforms.

That color is usually referred to as 'blood orange"/

You just know William Mattar is on the phone with the Binder brothers talking class action at this very minute.

Yeah dammit!

I have been micro-aggressed, if not macro-aggressed! I need a safe space to watch Bills games without the fear of my disability being used to diminish my role in society, thus disenfranchising my citizenship.

All of you should be ashamed of yourselves. Feel your oppression, oppressors! I am offended, and I demand an immediate apology. Or I will have my considerbale airport resources meet you wherever you fly, even DuBuque, Iowa, and reign hell down upon you(I think I can get this one chick to hold a sign and yell stuff...but I'd probably have to have sex with her...so...).

This reminds me when I was in my 20's and I lived in a fun area in Tampa by the water (single of course) with four other guys. One of them was a good friend so to mess with him I'd put socks together that didn't match as he was color blind. Then again he put toothpaste between my toes once while drunk. Bastage.

Good juvenile times.

As to the color, I thought the color looked like blood orange too. Let's hope they don't come back soon.

What about the very few females that would have seen the game as even more vibrant.

I am not colorblind and absolutely loved the rush of color... SCREW THE 13%. Keep pandering to the majority and maybe those few females out there thar have the extra rod/cone (4th).

Wait till next week... Titans all powder blue and Jagwads all gold!!!!

I posted this in the Bowles thread:

Did you read the article about the females... Was posted sometime ago on OTW.

Basically... It hypothesized that there may be females out there w/super coloring seeing eyes. EXCEPT that they may not know since everything is gauged w/what a normal human eye sees. These super color seeing females would have an extra cone/rod (I forget which as a fourth).

Inagine how they saw the game! EVEN MORE VIBRANT...WOW!

But the thing... Born out of these females is usually a color-blind male.

AND... These super color seeing females don't even know they have the ability to see a ton more shades between the colors than the millions a normal human eye can pick up.

Look it up... The research is fascinating!!

Back in the 80's... Wasn't this the reason Bills went to red helmets. The whole AFCEast wore white helmets... Colts,Pats*,Jets, & Felons.

Fergy was having a hard time telling players apart???

Even Rex said he hard a little hard time! Now... Just imagine if Bum Phillips was coaching that game. LMAO...

It's called tetrachromacy. Here's the wiki link:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrachromacy

And here is an article about an artist who is a tetrachromat along with some of her work.

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/this-is-what-its-like-to-have-superhuman-vision--bkEVqgCSbx

Edited by BarleyNY

Hi all, I've enjoyed the discussion about color vision here, but maybe I could clarify a few things (not to play the professor, but ... well, I am a professor B-) ). If you don't enjoy a little science talk, please ignore this post!

Watching the game, I also was surprised that the NFL didn't realize that red-green colorblind people would have trouble sorting out the two uniforms. About 2% of males (not 13%; not sure where that number came from) have red-green color blindness, caused by mutations in either the long- (L or "red") or middle-wavelength (M or "green") cone photopigments in the retina. I'm pretty sure the 2% number is accurate, because every year I ask my medical school class of ~70 students if anyone is colorblind, and invariably no more than one student or rarely two (always male) raise their hands.

The L and M photoreceptors work together to allow us to discriminate red and green hues. Basically, our retinas and brains "compare" the relative absorption of photons by the L- and M-cones to assign hue on the red-green side of the rainbow of light wavelengths. People with red-green cone mutations are not color "blind", because they also have short-wavelength sensitive (S) cones, which can be compared to the spared, un-mutated red- or green- cones to discriminate blues and yellows.

L- and M- cone photopigments are proteins which are made from genes on the X-chromosome. Females have two X chromosomes, but males only one; the mutation is recessive, so that females are generally fine with one functioning gene out of the two, but males are out of luck. By definition, red-green colorblind fathers pass their X chromosome -- and therefore the mutation -- to their daughters , but the daughters are only carriers; I am not aware that they have any measurable deficit in color vision, and they certainly do not have enhanced color sensitivity.

Also, while there is evidence that there can occasionally be functioning anomalous mutated photopigments that still function, vision scientists have to work pretty hard to demonstrate even subtle differences in color sensitivity in these people. I have also heard reports about rare individuals with four photopigments, but I (and many other scientists) are skeptical that these individuals have "enhanced" color vision, because the output of the cone photoreceptors is combined in the retina and the brain in complicated neural circuits, and it is unlikely that brain circuits would be able to “handle” a fourth cone input. Red-green perception could be slightly altered in these people, but I doubt it would be enhanced in any meaningful way -- notwithstanding claims about tetrachromic artists!

A last thought – a simple thing the NFL could have done to help out beleaguered colorblind fans would have been to make the uniforms a different overall brightness or luminance. This is easy to distinguish. For example, at night people with red—green color blindness can distinguish red and green traffic lights based on overall luminance differences (although the LED-based traffic signals make that harder for many of them now).

Anyhow, enough science blather. Enjoy your Sunday and GO BILLS!!! Please, oh PLEEEASE kick the Patriots a$$ next week ... so if nothing else I can shut up my Patriots-bandwagon students for one week ...

Edited by Stranded in Boston

Hi all, I've enjoyed the discussion about color vision here, but maybe I could clarify a few things (not to play the professor, but ... well, I am a professor B-) ). If you don't enjoy a little science talk, please ignore this post!

Watching the game, I also was surprised that the NFL didn't realize that red-green colorblind people would have trouble sorting out the two uniforms. About 2% of males (not 13%; not sure where that number came from) have red-green color blindness, caused by mutations in either the long- (L or "red") or middle-wavelength (M or "green") cone photopigments in the retina. I'm pretty sure the 2% number is accurate, because every year I ask my medical school class of ~70 students if anyone is colorblind, and invariably no more than one student or rarely two (always male) raise their hands.

The L and M photoreceptors work together to allow us to discriminate red and green hues. Basically, our retinas and brains "compare" the relative absorption of photons by the L- and M-cones to assign hue on the red-green side of the rainbow of light wavelengths. People with red-green cone mutations are not color "blind", because they also have short-wavelength sensitive (S) cones, which can be compared to the spared, un-mutated red- or green- cones to discriminate blues and yellows.

L- and M- cone photopigments are proteins which are made from genes on the X-chromosome. Females have two X chromosomes, but males only one; the mutation is recessive, so that females are generally fine with one functioning gene out of the two, but males are out of luck. By definition, red-green colorblind fathers their pass their X chromosome -- and therefore the mutation -- to their daughters , but the daughters are only carriers; I am not aware that they have any measurable deficit in color vision, and they certainly do not have enhanced color sensitivity.

Also, while there is evidence that there can occasionally be functioning anomalous mutated photopigments that still function, vision scientists have to work pretty hard to demonstrate even subtle differences in color sensitivity in these people. I have also heard reports about rare individuals with four photopigments, but I (and many other scientists) are skeptical that these individuals have "enhanced" color vision, because the output of the cone photoreceptors is combined in the retina and the brain in complicated neural circuits, and it is unlikely that brain circuits would be able to handle a fourth cone input. Red-green perception could be slightly altered in these people, but I doubt it would be enhanced in any meaningful way -- notwithstanding claims about tetrachromic artists!

A last thought a simple thing the NFL could have done to help out beleaguered colorblind fans would have been to make the uniforms a different overall brightness or luminance. This is easy to distinguish. For example, at night people with redgreen color blindness can distinguish red and green traffic lights based on overall luminance differences (although the LED-based traffic signals make that harder for many of them now).

Anyhow, enough science blather. Enjoy your Sunday and GO BILLS!!! Please, oh PLEEEASE kick the Patriots a$$ next week ... so if nothing else I can shut up my Patriots-bandwagon students for one week ...

Super interesting, thanks for sharing!

Yeah dammit!

I have been micro-aggressed, if not macro-aggressed! I need a safe space to watch Bills games without the fear of my disability being used to diminish my role in society, thus disenfranchising my citizenship.

All of you should be ashamed of yourselves. Feel your oppression, oppressors! I am offended, and I demand an immediate apology. Or I will have my considerbale airport resources meet you wherever you fly, even DuBuque, Iowa, and reign hell down upon you(I think I can get this one chick to hold a sign and yell stuff...but I'd probably have to have sex with her...so...).

#colorblindeyesmatter

L- and M- cone photopigments are proteins which are made from genes on the X-chromosome. Females have two X chromosomes, but males only one; the mutation is recessive, so that females are generally fine with one functioning gene out of the two, but males are out of luck. By definition, red-green colorblind fathers pass their X chromosome -- and therefore the mutation -- to their daughters , but the daughters are only carriers; I am not aware that they have any measurable deficit in color vision, and they certainly do not have enhanced color sensitivity.

Also, while there is evidence that there can occasionally be functioning anomalous mutated photopigments that still function, vision scientists have to work pretty hard to demonstrate even subtle differences in color sensitivity in these people. I have also heard reports about rare individuals with four photopigments, but I (and many other scientists) are skeptical that these individuals have "enhanced" color vision, because the output of the cone photoreceptors is combined in the retina and the brain in complicated neural circuits, and it is unlikely that brain circuits would be able to “handle” a fourth cone input. Red-green perception could be slightly altered in these people, but I doubt it would be enhanced in any meaningful way -- notwithstanding claims about tetrachromic artists!

A last thought – a simple thing the NFL could have done to help out beleaguered colorblind fans would have been to make the uniforms a different overall brightness or luminance. This is easy to distinguish. For example, at night people with red—green color blindness can distinguish red and green traffic lights based on overall luminance differences (although the LED-based traffic signals make that harder for many of them now).

I've been at the LED traffic signals a few times, and said WTF - I'm screwed if this is the future!

That was awesome, Stranded in Boston!! Could you now please explain in similar detail why the other 98% here are blind?

LOL ... well Kelly, I don't think modern science has addressed that question yet. Maybe we're all a little blind for sticking with the Bills as long as we have.

On the other hand, Monday (or Friday) mornings still feel great after a win! Now let's just get that great feeling next Tuesday morning, shall we?

Edited by Stranded in Boston

Hi all, I've enjoyed the discussion about color vision here, but maybe I could clarify a few things (not to play the professor, but ... well, I am a professor B-) [/size] ). If you don't enjoy a little science talk, please ignore this post![/size]

Is there going to be a test? I'm a liittle concerned about that....

I'm one of those guys who could definitely see the hideous uniforms, but can't read the other side of the "little color dot numbers". Am I a mutant?