Jerry Hughes - What do you think?

BuffaloBill

He's a playmaker that the defensive scheme needs to utilize more. At some point he'll play smart...maybe after he has a few more sacks and is less frustrated. With that said, his game is to play with wreckless abandon so have to live with some bonehead plays from time to time.

I understand the sentiment but that is totally untrue. If a player, any player, gets four PF calls in a season that is a lot. Last year, for example, Jerry Hughes had nine total penalties the entire season. 4 neutral zone. 3 unsportsmanlike. 1 roughing passer. 1 offside. So 4 total personal fouls and we went nuts over it. He got benched for half a game because of too many. This year he has 6 personal foul types already, which is an enormous amount.

I disregard any "roughing the passer" penalties, since the call is actually rather vague (the rules outline how you can and cannot hit a quarterback...then the officials have an ambiguous "protect the passer" directive above and beyond that, that makes the call even more arbitrary.)

And one Hughes' unsportsmanlike conduct calls last year was for slapping a teammate on the head. And another one was for pulling a Brady (yelling at a ref - something Brady gets away with regularly.)

If Hughes is going to be held to a different set of standards and rules, and be put under a microscope, I'm not going to B word too much about the penalties he draws. Not until the league agrees on a single, consistent set of rules.

I think he is a great fit for a Rex Ryan type D. I cant exactly say that about the other pro bowlers we already have.

And FWIW, I dont think Hughes has deserved most of the personal fouls he has gotten this year. That late hit out of bounds I think was total BS and then Suh drops the F bomb and gets no flag while Jerry has gotten like 4 of those already

I disregard any "roughing the passer" penalties, since the call is actually rather vague (the rules outline how you can and cannot hit a quarterback...then the officials have an ambiguous "protect the passer" directive above and beyond that, that makes the call even more arbitrary.)

And one Hughes' unsportsmanlike conduct calls last year was for slapping a teammate on the head. And another one was for pulling a Brady (yelling at a ref - something Brady gets away with regularly.)

If Hughes is going to be held to a different set of standards and rules, and be put under a microscope, I'm not going to B word too much about the penalties he draws. Not until the league agrees on a single, consistent set of rules.

yep I agree with this 100%

Yep. It's similar to Stevie Johnson's endzone celebration unsportsmanlike penalty calls people went psycho over that he was ruining the team. I think he got three total in his entire career, and one of them was for wearing a "Happy New Year" message on his undershirt when the last time he wore the Why So Serious? one they didn't give him a penalty so he thought it was okay to do that.

The one yesterday drove me nuts though, because Hughes hit him outside of the huge white OB stripe. That's ridiculous.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Jerry Hughes is the player on the Buffalo Bills that I would most like to punch in the face. Jerry Hughes is also the player on the Buffalo Bills that I would most like to purchase a blowjob for from any woman of his choice.

Well, that escalated quickly! LOL!

Jerry has been very frustrating to watch this season.

Sure, he usually has a couple great plays each game, but he also usually seems to have a lot of plays where he over-pursues and misses tackles in addition to STUPID STUPID penalties.

That late hit on Tanny had me screaming at the TV yesterday.

I think he is a great fit for a Rex Ryan type D. I cant exactly say that about the other pro bowlers we already have.

And FWIW, I dont think Hughes has deserved most of the personal fouls he has gotten this year. That late hit out of bounds I think was total BS and then Suh drops the F bomb and gets no flag while Jerry has gotten like 4 of those already

yep I agree with this 100%

I agree here, as well. It really baffles me why, with this particular player, Bills fans are so quick to get so angry to say things as dumb as "cut him or bench him!" Most of the calls on him are so soft. Sure there are some where he went too far, but a lot of them have been highly, highly questionable. I'm much more apt to support the Bill in question in that situation than to tear him down. As has been pointed out in this thread, refs have different standards for different players. The state of officiating in the NFL is an embarrassment to the game of football.

Jerry Hughes may well be the most talented player on the defense. He also has a maddening propensity for ill-timed and stupid penalties. Should the coaching staff just let him play? Should he be benched for a game(s)? Should the team take some other sort of action with him? Is he accountable for his actions? Does his play outweigh the penalties?

What do you think?

Just watched the after game with him on BB.com

He might be an idiot.

But he came on fire Sunday. and he said pin the ears back. Maybe Rex IS listening.

I have found the whole D line questionable so far. But it's improving weekly. Moving Hughes around finally is the best way to play him. Fox turned out to be mismatch for his speed and relentless motor.

I called benching him at the time of the foul. just because i am tired of two years of this crap.

Rex probably loses sleep over Hughes. you know Marrone did !

Nah. Bench the entire DLine until they get their sack stats up! That'll teach 'em. :D

visionary, well ahead of Chip Kelly ! But is benching enough?

jerry hughes isn't even in the top 3 of defensive lineman on his own team.

he will get you beat with his mental lapses. he has twice as many drive extending personal fouls (6) as sacks (3).

his $10.5 salary cap hit for the next three years is much too high.

I thought the deal was pretty good at the time

Jerry Hughes may well be the most talented player on the defense. He also has a maddening propensity for ill-timed and stupid penalties. Should the coaching staff just let him play? Should he be benched for a game(s)? Should the team take some other sort of action with him? Is he accountable for his actions? Does his play outweigh the penalties?

What do you think?

I know I brought this issue up a few times during the offseason/preseason and most seemed to downplay the concern fairly aggressively. The problem here is that you can dismiss the concern and say he's worth the penalties and you may be right, for now. However, he's clearly a flag magnet. It seems plausible, if not likely, that one of these ill-timed personal fouls will directly cost us a game. This question really can't be answered until the season is over. My opinion is that Hughes is a game-changer. The hope is that when it really matters, in weeks 14-17, will his play lead us to a win, or will his reputation and behavior on the field somehow cost us a playoff birth? The reputation part is probably the worst thing. That one on Tannehill yesterday was about as dumb as it gets, and he'll never get the benefit of the doubt on a close call doing things like that.

Show me the good coaches that would "sit their premier pass rusher for long periods of time"

This isnt college

he did not say "long" periods of time. He said prolonged periods of time. Which happens to mean more than usual. which i agree 100%

They have Carrington who can play DE , IK and Lawson. hughes would know why he was sitting an extra down or set.

Agree he is best playing 110% full on. But he does hurt the team too often.

I think that Crossman does need to go. As it is the special teams. That are the worst on the team.

for penalties yes. because they are field changers.

drives me nuts

I wonder what pressure he gets from his teammates. I'd be ticked if we were set to get off the filed, only to have a drive continue and turn into points.

this good sir is really how to solve the problem isn't it?

He needs to meditate or open an Eastern philosophy book or go see a therapist. He is mentally imbalanced.

There was a time in the NFL that was an asset at the position.

heck we all need to do those things!

and half of us fans are not balanced. and that's being generous

What the Bills should do is put a collar on him and set up an electronic fence on sideline so like a dog he gets cautious when he approaches sideline but the NFLPA would probably object.

yep. make me puke. the shock collar and invisible fences. but at least our dogs dont get hit by cars anymore. or flagged for 15

Edited by 3rdand12

What do you think?

Worth it. No question. I'm sure he knows that his penalties are a problem. Passion does count for something, its just an area that really needs to be worked on.

jerry hughes isn't even in the top 3 of defensive lineman on his own team.

he will get you beat with his mental lapses. he has twice as many drive extending personal fouls (6) as sacks (3).

his $10.5 salary cap hit for the next three years is much too high.

He isnt top 3? He and meatball are the only productive dl and im a big bad wolf fan.

Every good D has (or should have) that one player who is good for 1 personal foul penalty a game. The guy that plays on the edge of insanity, and sometimes crosses over it.

If it werent for all the other stupid penalties, and non-penalties, that get called on us this wouldnt be such a big deal.

I understand how and why it can be frustrating sometimes, but his regular play is worth it.

I had a whole row of jabronies in front of me yesterday calling for him to be cut... until the 2nd half happened. Then it was immediately "I always liked that Jerry Hughes, he should be on the field every play!"

He's this year's Brandon Spikes. And if he was playing in the same scheme and had the sexy sack numbers, no one would have much of a problem with it.

EDIT: My ONLY problem with his play is that he didnt make his personal foul COUNT. If you are going to hit the QB 5 yards out of bounds and draw a flag, then at least take out his knee. :devil:

To your edit. Thats exactly my sentiment. Make it count make them know who you are

Jerry Hughes is the player on the Buffalo Bills that I would most like to punch in the face. Jerry Hughes is also the player on the Buffalo Bills that I would most like to purchase a blowjob for from any woman of his choice.

Somehow thats for to be a conflict of interest lol