So would you say the season is over now? Before Halloween?

dayman

I think history will show that it's not over if you are .500 @ halfway point . If not , your chances of making the postseason are slim at best. If the Bills get to 4-4 it's not over, particularly the way this years AFC is stacking up. The Bills chances of winning their next game don't look too great right now. If they get their injured players back, it's possible. If it's the taxi squad we saw vs JAX no way.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think...unfortunately...it would take some major optimism to think the Bills still have a chance at the Playoffs...

It's going to take a hell of a run...I just don't think they have it in them this year...We'll see...Anything is possible... B-)

You're delirious and I'm still a fan. There's a difference between being a fan and being delusional, which you clearly are if you think this team will make the playoffs. We have mediocre QB play, a team that is about to set the NFL record for most penalties in a season, injuries up the wazoo, no running game, a mediocre defense and right now, we're the worst team in our division. The Jets gave the Patriots a run for their money and the Dolphins are a completely revitalized team with Campbell as their coach. To guarantee a playoff spot, we'll need an 11-5 record. We're not going 8-1 the rest of the way. NOT HAPPENING.

Except the fact that 9-7 will get into the playoffs in the AFC this year. I'm not saying I think the Bills will get in, but I am staying they have more than a chance to control their own destiny still. This team is 3-4 because of opponents, boneheaded penalties and injuries. All factors that can be overcome in the second half of the year. I give the Bills a 40% chance to go 6-3 the rest of the way. To give up on the Bills already to not make the playoffs, you are not a true Bills fan, IMO.

Except the fact that 9-7 will get into the playoffs in the AFC this year. I'm not saying I think the Bills will get in, but I am staying they have more than a chance to control their own destiny still. This team is 3-4 because of opponents, boneheaded penalties and injuries. All factors that can be overcome in the second half of the year. I give the Bills a 40% chance to go 6-3 the rest of the way. To give up on the Bills already to not make the playoffs, you are not a true Bills fan, IMO.

Ahhhh the old "you are not a fan". Never gets old. Well actually, yes it does.

I think history will show that it's not over if you are .500 @ halfway point . If not , your chances of making the postseason are slim at best. If the Bills get to 4-4 it's not over, particularly the way this years AFC is stacking up. The Bills chances of winning their next game don't look too great right now. If they get their injured players back, it's possible. If it's the taxi squad we saw vs JAX no way.

I think history will show that the Bills don't make the playoffs. Ditto teams without quality QBs. So maybe don't hang your hat on the history thing.

I think history will show that the Bills don't make the playoffs. Ditto teams without quality QBs. So maybe don't hang your hat on the history thing.

Not hanging my hat on that. I'd agree on the QB thing. And the fact that the Bills have the rather unenviable task of facing NE twice makes the playoffs less likely. But no, if you get to .500 midway, it's not over.

I think it will take winning 4 straight right now. I think going 3-0 in the next few weeks and then kc will get us going to the playoffs. I know it means beating the pats but that's the mindset we need to have.

If it means having to beat NE , then yes it's over.

Not hanging my hat on that. I'd agree on the QB thing. And the fact that the Bills have the rather unenviable task of facing NE twice makes the playoffs less likely. But no, if you get to .500 midway, it's not over.

I was just joking around. I've seen a fair number of posts like yours and while I can appreciate the optimism I find the cherry picking of statistics amusing. Yes, it's not technically over. In fact according to fivethirtyeight the odds of the Bills making the playoffs increased from 16% to 22% this week. Yes, being .500 at the halfway point means the Bills would have a chance to make the playoffs.

But the reality is that right now the odds of the Bills making the playoffs are not great and that the play of the team has yet to give much reason to believe that is likely to change. And even if they were to make the playoffs, then what? They're still a very long way from competing with the best in the league. But you never know and it doesn't hurt to root hard and hope.

I was just joking around. I've seen a fair number of posts like yours and while I can appreciate the optimism I find the cherry picking of statistics amusing. Yes, it's not technically over. In fact according to fivethirtyeight the odds of the Bills making the playoffs increased from 16% to 22% this week. Yes, being .500 at the halfway point means the Bills would have a chance to make the playoffs.

But the reality is that right now the odds of the Bills making the playoffs are not great and that the play of the team has yet to give much reason to believe that is likely to change. And even if they were to make the playoffs, then what? They're still a very long way from competing with the best in the league. But you never know and it doesn't hurt to root hard and hope.

I wouldn't say I'm particularly optimistic. And it's not cherry picking stats. The stats are what they are, it strips out emotion. Emotion is likely the reason that you ( nor I) have a less optimistic bent. Past failures color our visions of the season yet ahead. I'm not sure what factors that computer program uses to come up with it's stats, but general NFL history ( not Bills history) shows that teams do indeed turn things around and go on a run. I have a Garda time seeing the Bills doing it for the reasons you mentioned, but the truth is it could. Our teams history just makes us think it doesn't happen to our team. But in fact, it's not over.

I meant a hard time. Garda time? I hate the iPhone sometimes .

I wouldn't say I'm particularly optimistic. And it's not cherry picking stats. The stats are what they are, it strips out emotion. Emotion is likely the reason that you ( nor I) have a less optimistic bent. Past failures color our visions of the season yet ahead. I'm not sure what factors that computer program uses to come up with it's stats, but general NFL history ( not Bills history) shows that teams do indeed turn things around and go on a run. I have a Garda time seeing the Bills doing it for the reasons you mentioned, but the truth is it could. Our teams history just makes us think it doesn't happen to our team. But in fact, it's not over. I meant a hard time. Garda time? I hate the iPhone sometimes .

Actually I try to take emotion out of situations and look at them realistically and I'm doing that here. Saying that sometimes teams with mediocre records at the midpoint turn around their seasons and make the playoffs is true, but misleading. It happens, but the odds of it happening with any one specific team are very low. That's reality. That the Bills have given me precious little reason to think they'll turn things around is also reality. That's subject to change (obviously) but it's where things stand.

What a dumb thread.

What does "season over" even mean?

As if in the event the Bills squeak into a wild card spot that they would be a legit Superbowl contender or something.

The season was over before it started.

The whole goal this year was always to build a solid foundation for the future. If Tyrod plays well down the stretch the season is a success.

• 2 weeks later...

We're 3-4. A lot of football left, but we probably have about 2 (maybe 3) losses to give for the entire rest of the season now if we want to compete for playoffs.

We've got a much improved Dolphins team and the Pats again, and a good Jets team twice. Plus a Cowboys team that will be healed by the time we play them, as well as a slew of other games we could potentially drop. Best case scenario I can realistically forecast would be:

W - Dolphins (use the bye as an excuse to do this)

L - @Jets (best case scenario we split and win the home game)

L - @Pats (can't beat them, never do)

W - @Chiefs (fair to say we win)

W - Texans (who really knows but this is best case scenario)

W - @ Eagles (again, best case scenario here)

W - @ 'Skins

L - Cowboys (really don't think we're winning this one, at least not this one and the next one v. the jets)

W - Jets

That would put us at 9-7. I doubt we make the playoffs with that, and this was me being about as optimistic as possible.

Rex lasted 7 games. This season is over.

Alright we got a win that I did not feel we would get immediately after the Jacksonville game. Fair to say the Jets are pretty close to us despite the win (more than fair given the way it played out), but when predicting an inevitable split it changes considerably after you win first matchup (on the road especially).

Looking back...I definitely still feel strongly about the 2 game win streak coming off the Pats game. I have no idea what the Eagles or Cowboys games will be like, and I know the second Jets game will likely be tough (real tough) again. We should beat the Skins.

I officially adjust best case scenario to 10 wins and declare best case scenario playoffs in light of the current state of the AFC.

My topic was wrong. I'm still not thrilled with the way the Bills are positioned (even at our current #5 playoff spot--until Sunday anyway)...but I failed to take into account the poor state of the AFC at the time (something a few posters pointed out then--props). The bottom line is if we can stay healthy and play well enough to win...w/ the Jets on our schedule twice (at the time of the post) we need only out-win one of the banged-to-hell-up Steelers or still-the-raiders Raiders.

Go Bills. Happy to look back on this topic and feel like things are going better than best case scenario.

PS: It helps that the Dolphins were actually as fraudulent as I say they are after few beers at the bar...but it's tough to believe what has happened with them. Even though we pulled off the win though...I think the Jets are better today than I thought at the time I made this topic.

Edited by Rex'sOffense

I think it is safe to be optimistic, so long as Tyrod stays healthy. If he played the Jaguars game, we would be 6-3, and only likely need 3 of 7 games to make the playoffs. Now we need 4 of 7. This place will likely melt down again after the Pats game, but I'm hoping we put up a fight in primetime.

We have the tiebreaker against the Jets for now. Next tie breaker if we split is divisional record which we are 3-1 right now. They are 1-2.

Tie breaker for conference opponents is conference record and Pittsburgh is 2-4 in conference and Oakland is 4-3. We are 5-3 in conference. KC and Houston are big time games we can't drop.

I think it is safe to be optimistic, so long as Tyrod stays healthy. If he played the Jaguars game, we would be 6-3, and only likely need 3 of 7 games to make the playoffs. Now we need 4 of 7. This place will likely melt down again after the Pats game, but I'm hoping we put up a fight in primetime.

We have the tiebreaker against the Jets for now. Next tie breaker if we split is divisional record which we are 3-1 right now. They are 1-2.

Tie breaker for conference opponents is conference record and Pittsburgh is 2-4 in conference and Oakland is 4-3. We are 5-3 in conference. KC and Houston are big time games we can't drop.

That Jacksonville game is going to haunt us all year long. In the win column, in the tiebreaker race, you name it.

Alright we got a win that I did not feel we would get immediately after the Jacksonville game. Fair to say the Jets are pretty close to us despite the win (more than fair given the way it played out), but when predicting an inevitable split it changes considerably after you win first matchup (on the road especially).

Looking back...I definitely still feel strongly about the 2 game win streak coming off the Pats game. I have no idea what the Eagles or Cowboys games will be like, and I know the second Jets game will likely be tough (real tough) again. We should beat the Skins.

I officially adjust best case scenario to 10 wins and declare best case scenario playoffs in light of the current state of the AFC.

My topic was wrong. I'm still not thrilled with the way the Bills are positioned (even at our current #5 playoff spot--until Sunday anyway)...but I failed to take into account the poor state of the AFC at the time (something a few posters pointed out then--props). The bottom line is if we can stay healthy and play well enough to win...w/ the Jets on our schedule twice (at the time of the post) we need only out-win one of the banged-to-hell-up Steelers or still-the-raiders Raiders.

Go Bills. Happy to look back on this topic and feel like things are going better than best case scenario.

PS: It helps that the Dolphins were actually as fraudulent as I say they are after few beers at the bar...but it's tough to believe what has happened with them. Even though we pulled off the win though...I think the Jets are better today than I thought at the time I made this topic.

Interesting.

I guess it's fair to say that you decided to dig up your own old thread, and disclaim it, before anybody else did?

Nice work. :lol: Except...please...did you really think you'd be able to play this off? If so, perhaps you don't realize one of my main funcitons here: I tell the truth, and tough schit if you don't like it.

You're in more trouble now...than if you had just sweated it out and hoped everybody forgot your ridiculous OP.

And the fun part, for me, is that you don't know where this is going next. I mean, well, you could have just deleted this thread.

Anybody who reads this, before it gets deleted, gets a gold star.

Edited by OCinBuffalo