Former SU/Buffalo Bills HC Doug Marrone Won Today

The simple line is that Marrone quit. We do not know the full story and seeing how things are going now there could have been a lot more to it; Whaley giving Marrone few options made him more money, lack of the FO to invest in Marrone's idea and strategy, etc.

I am not convinced that Marrone did not have a good pulse for this team and insist that he be a disciplinarian; this team needs it this year more then anything.

Marrone is missed, surely.

The Buffalo Bills would be in year three of the Doug Marrone era. And with decent momentum. And very good players.

What do the Buffalo Bills do? They create a situation where Marrone leaves.

Now the Bills have a blow-hard Head Coach who replaced Marrone. And the Buffalo Bills are actually going backward where they could have been going forward with Doug Marrone.

No one can argue any of this. This is what most, not all, Bills fans here in Syracuse, think.

The Buffalo Bills would be in year three of the Doug Marrone era. And with decent momentum. And very good players.

What do the Buffalo Bills do? They create a situation where Marrone leaves.

Now the Bills have a blow-hard Head Coach who replaced Marrone. And the Buffalo Bills are actually going backward where they could have been going forward with Doug Marrone.

No one can argue any of this. This is what most, not all, Bills fans here in Syracuse, think.

Do these "brilliant" Syracuse fans have any explanation for why Doug Marrone was (a) not hired to be the head coach of any other team, (b) couldn't even get a coordinator job in the NFL or college, © had to settle for becoming a position coach for one of the worst teams in the NFL, or (d) presides over one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL?

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/10/rex_ryan_trolls_doug_marrone_with_his_captain_choices_for_bills_game_against_jag.html

Another benefit to being a Buffalo Bills fan here in Syracuse, New York is that we have Matthew Fairburn as the Buffalo Bills beat reporter for the Syracuse Post-Standard.

Above linked article Fairburn was the first reporter to call out Rex Ryan for taunting former SU Orange/Buffalo Bills and current Jags OL coach Doug Marrone.

Rex Ryan is a clown. Doug Marrone took the money and ran and took a low level coaching gig until something better comes up.

GO SU ORANGE!

GO BUFFALO BILLS!

Today's game did get me thinking about whether or not Marrone knew something and maybe that's why he bailed (that and the $4Mil).....Like maybe he knew that Whaley wasn't willing to invest in a top tier QB or something like that....it was probably the money though.

Marrone bailed because Pegula wouldn't give him an extension on his contract. It was the right move by Pegula m

Marrone bailed because Pegula wouldn't give him an extension on his contract. It was the right move by Pegula m

Marrone ( who I think was below average) put an out in his contract due to the unsettled ownership situation. DM rubbed many at OBD the wrong way and he knew it. The team changed hands and he saw a rare opportunity to " double dip" and collect his out pay from Bills while taking a new HC job. It backfired on him as he interviewed for NYJ job, the interview did not go well, and his stock took a hit around the league. He was not as hot a HC candidate as he thought. By most accounts, TP was surprised at DMs departure and was ready to talk contract extension. It was a case where DM thought he could collect two salaries for a year. That's it. He quit on his team and I'm glad he left.

Born and raised in Syracuse, but I don't live there anymore. I was sad to see Marrone go. He was really unpopular, but I think he had the Bills moving in the right direction. I was hoping to see what he could do in year three.

Last year with Marrone, we murdered the Jets. We absolutely slaughtered them. So what do we do? Bring in the coach of the Jets! And for 5 years no less. Only in Buffalo. Get used to Rex guys, he will be here for awhile.

Edited by Idandria

Marrone ( who I think was below average) put an out in his contract due to the unsettled ownership situation. DM rubbed many at OBD the wrong way and he knew it. The team changed hands and he saw a rare opportunity to " double dip" and collect his out pay from Bills while taking a new HC job. It backfired on him as he interviewed for NYJ job, the interview did not go well, and his stock took a hit around the league. He was not as hot a HC candidate as he thought. By most accounts, TP was surprised at DMs departure and was ready to talk contract extension. It was a case where DM thought he could collect two salaries for a year. That's it. He quit on his team and I'm glad he left.

That's all true as well. That clause is in virtually every Team President, GM and HC contract, but it is rarely used due to the rarity of ownership change. It also happened in Cleveland with their regime when Lerner sold to Haslam. In this case Marrone was looking for a bunch more money wherever he could get it - from the Pegulas or from double dipping. He overplayed his hand. The Pegulas didn't buckle and the Jets didn't bite.

My theory is that Marrone quit because he knew EJ would ruin any chance he had at success and didn't trust Whaley to bring in another viable option.

He and his buddy Polian were going to essentially neutralize Whaley and do whatever they wanted. When it didn't work out he either had to make nice with the guy he fought with all season and almost got fired or take the $$ and run.

Rex was able to get his way and get his players signed because he is Rex and reports directly to the owner, not the GM.

Just my opinion.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Everyone would have been better off if Marrone would have stayed at Syracuse in the first place.

The SU program might be competitive in the ACC right now and recruiting better. Who knows what might have happened if a different Head Coach and offensive coordinator would have walked in to a young and talented team a few years ago. They might be in year three with continuity.

He quit on us, or did you forget?

Yep, took the 4 mill, and bailed.

Probably from reading the hype he would be the next HC of the NY Jets.

I for one am glad Marrone, Hackett are gone from Buffalo. I just wish the owners had done a more careful search for a new HC. Dan Quinn looking darn good in Atlanta. Todd Bowles looking darn good in NY

The idea here was for the Buffalo Bills to beat not only the Jacksonville Jaguars but also to beat former Buffalo Bills head coach Doug Marrone who now coaches the OL at Jacksonville.

That didn't happen.

We Buffalo Bills fans here in Syracuse, New York are the smartest, most knowledgeable, least rose-colored glasses wearing Buffalo Bills fans that exist.

And we Buffalo Bills fans here in Syracuse, New York could have told anyone that losing Doug Marrone was going to be a bad thing. I think we did.

And we Buffalo Bills fans here in Syracuse, New York could have told you that Rex Ryan is a bum and was going to be a bad hire for the Buffalo Bills. I think we did.

Strong Suggestion: When it comes to the Buffalo Bills all anyone needs to do is just ask any Buffalo Bills fan(s) here in Syracuse, New York what we think. We know the Buffalo Bills better than anyone - especially Buffalo Bills fans in Buffalo and Rochester.

:worthy:

LOLOLOLOL

This is almost as bad as people who think EJ should be the starting qb of the Bills!!!

EJ gives the jags 21pts and Marrone is the hero? Please tell me more about how Syracuse Bills fans are so smart!