We need Jim Schwartz back.

MClem06

They need a QB, their best players on the field and they need a defensive scheme that maximizes the defensive line.

Whaley has negleted the QB position pretty much his entire time as assistant GM and now as GM. He panicked and failed miserably having Manuel so high on the draft board he created for Buddy Nix.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say Whaley failed at QB, the market has been bad for Qb's Free agent Qb's that are top 10 haven't been available... who is the best draft pick Qb we could of got in the last two years ? David Carr, mariota, winston, hoyer, fitz.... let be real its hard to get a top guy I don't doubt he didn't try but theres no market....

who would be the new GM? Who would have drafted Darby, Preston Brown, brought in Incognito, Tyrod, Harvin, McCoy, etc. Whaley has done a great job. The hiring of HC's has been a disaster, and really not something Whaley has been involved with.

This!

Is Tyrod that bad of a QB? What 5 QB's in the AFC are playing remarkably better before the injury?

Brady, Dalton, Rivers?

I still have faith in Rex. His defenses were never the issue in NY. I would have fallen over at the start of the season if you told me the D would be our issue right now.

Rex said "different philsophies" Right, Schwartz way works though.......

As a where are they now moment, Schwartz took a consulting position with the NFL's officiating department to provide a coaches perspective on officiating decisions.On October 6th it was reported Schwartz declined the opportunity to replace Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle. Is anyone else thinking he should be head coach of this team today? At 3-3 (barely) we are still alive but these players are truly uninspired and lacking discipline. We know we have talent on D but even Mario says the coaches aren't putting them in the position to do damage. Bring Back the Schwartz. Make him an offer he can't refuse.

I can't remember why he still isn't here but we sure could use that scheme back.

If they lose to Jacksonville I'd fire Whaley, and Rex & Thurman. Hire Schwartz as interm head coach and leave Roman as OC. I know that's pretty aggressive, but we have the best roster in the NFL and can barley get out of our own way.. Clearly the players are depressed, and I think Buffalo is growing sick of Rex.. Honeymoons over, win or get the heck out of town..

Pegula signed Rex to a 5 year, $25 million contract. I realize Pegula is super rich, but I don't think he's just gonna eat that contract after a few games. Get used to Rex, he will be around for awhile.

Rex said "different philsophies" Right, Schwartz way works though.......

Does no one remember rivers completing like every single pass in the chargers game last year? Or the pats blasting us at home? As of right now - weve had 3 good performances, 2 poor performances, and 1 somewhere in the middle.

We had 2 first half shut outs and 1 game where we gave up 3 in the half. There are definately ways in which this scheme can be good. They just need to execute better from the coaches on down. Rex called a crap game, and the defense played just about as crappy as the game he called. We missed tackles, missed gaps, and played soft coverage. The coach isn't responsible for that.

Schwartz's d would have been shredded in the pats game and cinci game too. Those teams look legit.

Edited by dneveu

Does no one remember rivers completing like every single pass in the chargers game last year? Or the pats blasting us at home? As of right now - weve had 3 good performances, 2 poor performances, and 1 somewhere in the middle.

We had 2 first half shut outs and 1 game where we gave up 3 in the half. There are definately ways in which this scheme can be good. They just need to execute better from the coaches on down. Rex called a crap game, and the defense played just about as crappy as the game he called. We missed tackles, missed gaps, and played soft coverage. The coach isn't responsible for that.

Schwartz's d would have been shredded in the pats game and cinci game too. Those teams look legit.

Bu by the end of the year, nobody was shredding us, including Brady. I know it didn't count, but we kept him out of the end zone. You think Tom liked that?

If they lose to Jacksonville I'd fire Whaley, and Rex & Thurman. Hire Schwartz as interm head coach and leave Roman as OC. I know that's pretty aggressive, but we have the best roster in the NFL and can barley get out of our own way.. Clearly the players are depressed, and I think Buffalo is growing sick of Rex.. Honeymoons over, win or get the heck out of town..

i'm on board with this plan

Is anyone else thinking he should be head coach of this team today? At 3-3 (barely) we are still alive but these players are truly uninspired and lacking discipline. We know we have talent on D but even Mario says the coaches aren't putting them in the position to do damage. Bring Back the Schwartz. Make him an offer he can't refuse.

I can't remember why he still isn't here but we sure could use that scheme back.

No, I don't think he should be here as Head Coach, but I said in the Rex hiring threads that Hue Jackson as HC (or Kubiak) with Jim Schwartz staying on as DC was preferable for me. I was the biggest Schwartz homer on this board last year and got sick of defending him against the "anyone could do that with this talent" mob. I didn't think that was true then and it is being proved not true now.

However, I reconciled myself to the Rex hire on the basis that he knows defense. There was, however, always this nagging doubt - what if Schwartz was actually the perfect fit for these players? I am afraid my gut was right. Jim Schwartz should still be coaching this defense.

could be. The Bills have a great roster. Hopefully Ryan is told to fire Thurman and bring in Schwartz. Or, can Rex and Thurman, and have Roman HC, Schwartz DC, and whoever Roman wants as OC.

Not happening, but would love it if it did :thumbsup:

This thread is ridiculous. Can we please see how Rex responds to his players saying they are not being put in a posistion to win. We are 3-3 and the hardest part of our schedule has passed.

This is the part that I think is interesting.

Mario has been pretty quiet since coming to Buffalo. The fact that he said some things out of frustration after the Bengals game is significant.

Mario has been around a while, and he has a lot of experience. If he thinks the current defensive schemes really aren't as clever as Rex seems to think they are, I would take that seriously.

Perhaps Mario is unwilling to adapt, or perhaps Rex is on the cutting edge of defensive schemes and other people are having trouble keeping up.

Whatever the situation, I hope Rex, Mario, and the rest of the defense get on the same page quickly.

Ryan's defense is usually referred to as "high risk, high reward" because he always overloads something and there is always a hole somewhere. Always an unbalanced line or rolled coverages. We have 4 very good linemen on D but even though he claims we are "multiple" he runs a 3-4 or 3-3-5.. On the other hand the "wide 9" run by Schwartz was all about spreading out, not giving up the outside runs and rushing the passer. The reason it worked so well is because we have great athletes that can tackle and close in space. Rex's scheme has been figured out. Mediocre qb's are able to audible to take advantage of it. We had a couple bad games under Schwartz but it was more the fault of the offense. All this being said, we had a better scheme under Schwartz. We won't get him back. Rex is Rex. We are now the Jets. Frustrating because you only need to overload things on defense if you need to cover a deficiency in skill. We don't have skill deficiencies / we don't need to leave things for offenses to exploit. - in my opinion

Edited by SJDK

ruby-slippers-copy.jpg

If Only !!

Yes, our defense was much better under Schwartz. We know. Everyone knows. He's never coming back. Move on

But i really miss him.

He almost smiled at me at Wegmans.

He might come back, and everything will be good again.

yes, he will come back. i cannot wait.

or your version, which is spot on.

Rex needs to get his act together and let Thurman start calling the plays. Dennis aint no dummy. This defense struggling is on Rex 100%

Ryan's defense is usually referred to as "high risk, high reward" because he always overloads something and there is always a hole somewhere. Always an unbalanced line or rolled coverages. We have 4 very good linemen on D but even though he claims we are "multiple" he runs a 3-4 or 3-3-5.. On the other hand the "wide 9" run by Schwartz was all about spreading out, not giving up the outside runs and rushing the passer. The reason it worked so well is because we have great athletes that can tackle and close in space. Rex's scheme has been figured out. Mediocre qb's are able to audible to take advantage of it. We had a couple bad games under Schwartz but it was more the fault of the offense. All this being said, we had a better scheme under Schwartz. We won't get him back. Rex is Rex. We are now the Jets. Frustrating because you only need to overload things on defense if you need to cover a deficiency in skill. We don't have skill deficiencies / we don't need to leave things for offenses to exploit. - in my opinion

He's over scheming for sure, but these guys aren't executing at all. Poor angles, bad tackling, they look slow. Bernard and Lewis had their way with our line backers. Call whatever defense u want and they'd still get beat.