Watkins: "I need 10 targets... You're making me look bad."

johnwalter

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL

The main thing that pisses me off: he asked his agent to pull some strings!! That means it's all about $. He's already looking for his big contract. Go play the game Samuel.

I'd be worried about the money too!!

With that said, perhaps a more subtle approach next time, Mr. Watkins?

Getting the "agent" involved is always a weenie look.

How many passes should I throw out due to this by your estimation? For Sammy to catch up in Catch%, 33 of the 141 balls thrown his way would need to be completely uncatchable and 0 of OBJ's would have to qualify the same way.

There are so many factors that can skew these numbers that are out of the WR's hands. You'll have to account for QB accuracy and routes run. OBJ ran a lot of screens last year. Sammy, not so much.

Unreal how some people don't consider these comments inappropriate for a "professional".

Professional? Come on......3 years from now when other receivers with same talent are making 8 million a year more than him where did being a professional get him? Lets be real here people.

There are so many factors that can skew these numbers that are out of the WR's hands. You'll have to account for QB accuracy and routes run. OBJ ran a lot of screens last year. Sammy, not so much.

I do agree there should be more screens thrown to Sammy. That was one of his best things coming out of college

I want a competitor....Someone who is willing to go out there and play.

He's been used as a "decoy" since he's gotten here.

I've seen demonstrations of concentration and strength that would make you want him to get the ball more often.

He's not wrong.

We're keeping a Ferrari in the garage, occasionally bringing it out into the driveway to show off.

Ferraris need to be driven!

Sammy needs the ball!

While he's not wrong, there's a crowd that has had it out for him since the beginning, and this will do nothing to help him with that particular audience

This is true. If the Bills had drafted Odell Beckham Jr. and he said it, everyone would be on board with everything said. But since the Bills traded up to get Sammy, and paid a high price to do so, this will always be the case...

The bottom line: he is the most talented skill player on the Bills, and it's not close (sorry, McCoy). The Bills need to get him the damn ball, and they need to do it more than they're doing. This goes back to last season.

The Bills targeted Watkins 128 times out of 572 targets last season (about 23 percent of the time). in the first two games of this season, they targeted him 11 times on 49 throws (same rate, essentially). And he's usually open.

Last season, the Giants targeted Beckham 130 times on the 460 throws made in the games he played in (he missed the first 4 games) -- 28-29 percent of the time.

This season, Julio Jones has been the target about 32 percent of the time (72 out of 227).

In 2013, the Bengals' best offensive season in recent years, they targeted AJ Green 178 times on 587 throws -- about 30 percent of the time.

All of these other teams have had had better offenses than the Bills for more than one reason, but the one thing they do strive to do better than the Bills do is to get the ball into the hands of their best player.

Edited by dave mcbride

The bottom line: he is the most talented skill player on the Bills, and it's not close (sorry, McCoy). The Bills need to get him the damn ball, and they need to do it more than they're doing. This goes back to last season.

The Bills targeted Watkins 128 times out of 572 targets last season (about 23 percent of the time). in the first two games of this season, they targeted him 11 times on 49 throws (same rate, essentially). And he's usually open.

Last season, the Giants targeted Beckham 130 times on the 460 throws made in the games he played in (he missed the first 4 games) -- 28-29 percent of the time.

This season, Julio Jones has been the target about 32 percent of the time (72 out of 227).

In 2013, the Bengals' best offensive season in recent years, they targeted AJ Green 178 times on 587 throws -- about 30 percent of the time.

All of these other teams have had had better offenses than the Bills for more than one reason, but the one thing they do strive to do better than the Bills do is to get the ball into the hands of their best player.

This is it in a nutshell.

I've never understood how guys like Hoptkins, Odell, Bryant, Johnson, fitzgerald and so on can get 10 -13 targets a game on a regular basis, but we can't get 3 to our guy because they roll coverage his way... I would think defenses roll coverage to all guys that are true #1's. So why is it our guy can't get the targets? ... I agree w/ Sammy, he's a good kid, keeps his mouth shut, but you know what, we did move up to get him, start using him or Whaley just looks like a fool giving up draft picks to get a decoy..