Bucky: Trading Cassel doesn’t look good right now

Is Bucky right?  

196 members have voted

1. 1. What is real issue

• Whaley is arrogant
    • Whaley is insecure
    • Bucky is self delusional , insecure and arrogant writer who just wants clicks

so once again, how do you reconcile whaley signing cassel twice and being a good gm while having that opinion of cassel?

I think there should be another poll option: "whaley is not a good (or at least great) gm".

As bad as Cassel has played in different years I can reconcile Whaley signing him by giving the two young inexperienced QB's a veteran presence on the roster. In the right situation Cassel has shown to be an effective QB to a degree, (under ex Patriots OC's) so I can understand signing him in the off season. Then once the pre season began and we all saw what we could expect to see from him in Buffalo it was the right thing to do to dump him. JMO

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think their value on the open market speaks to that cassell wasn't worth much nor was taylor. I think we can be somewhat confident in assuming manuel had little trade value since they chose to keep him over cassel. that reflects on whaley, not the players.

I'd have to guess that Manuel's trade value would be significantly higher than Cassel. Young QB with upside, high pick with starting experience. Athletic, affordable contract. Vs older vet with experience, modest success, virtually no upside. But Cassel was wanted as a stopgap until Romo's return. It's unlikely the Cowboys even inquired re: Manuel . The Cowboys also needed an answer from the Bills in short order, so the deal was done. I saw nothing in preseason that showed Cassel was any better than EJ. Can't blame the Bills for trading a guy that wasn't in next years plans anyway.

EJ hasn't played in a year and everyone just assumes he hasn't improved at all.

If he goes out sunday and can't complete a single pass, then yeah Whaley screwed up. If he gives the team a chance, then it was smart to recoup the picks

that's the threshold? not completing a single pass? sorry, i don't believe and certainly hope that the coaches, owners and anyone not named whaley that works for the bills disagree.

EJ hasn't played in a year and everyone just assumes he hasn't improved at all.

If he goes out sunday and can't complete a single pass, then yeah Whaley screwed up. If he gives the team a chance, then it was smart to recoup the picks

What if EJ plays fantastically, then he gets his 4th knee injury in the 2nd quarter?

Amazing how quickly people forget how terrible EeeeeJay was last year, yet remember how bad Cassel was years ago. Then proclaim EJ as great maybe even better than TT and also forget EJ was in street clothes just a couple of weeks ago, and it was not because of injury. Whatever!

Amazing how quickly people forget how terrible EeeeeJay was last year, yet remember how bad Cassel was years ago. Then proclaim EJ as great maybe even better than TT and also forget EJ was in street clothes just a couple of weeks ago, and it was not because of injury. Whatever!

Yawn. I'm sure Cassel's noodle arm really excited you.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Perhaps you didn't watch the pre season games but a lot of Bills fans think EJ did enough to win the starting job, as did Tyrod Taylor. I would think that out right cutting Matt Cassel a week before the season started would show how much confidence the team had in Taylor, and in EJ as the backup QB.

Let me ask a question here. How much did the Buffalo Bills value Matt Cassel to outright cut him a week before the season starts? As much as the Colts value Josh Johnson? and if the Colts could've gotten a draft pick for Johnson don't you think they would have?

EDIT: If you watched NFL insiders on ESPN Bill Polian talks about the circumstances regarding Cassel, and the fact that many in the Bills FO thought Cassel would win the starting job. Then they discovered that in fact he played himself out of the job. Which is why they initially cut him. The current QB in Dallas is Brandon Weeden who has lost his last nine starts at QB. How about we cry over the loss of the bum when he actually wins a game for the Cowboys.

Edited by Nihilarian

I assumed you meant Bucky Brooks. Someone whose football opinion is usually worth actually considering.

(and you can prob tell I no longer live in B'lo, since I have never heard of bucky gleason before 3 mins ago, after clicking the link, which was after reading about 9 posts in the thread where I began to think "waaaaaaaait a minute, maybe this is about a B'lo hack")

Perhaps you didn't watch the pre season games but a lot of Bills fans think EJ did enough to win the starting job, as did Tyrod Taylor. I would think that out right cutting Matt Cassel a week before the season started would show how much confidence the team had in Taylor, and in EJ as the backup QB.

Let me ask a question here. How much did the Buffalo Bills value Matt Cassel to outright cut him a week before the season starts? As much as the Colts value Josh Johnson? and if the Colts could've gotten a draft pick for Johnson don't you think they would have?

EDIT: If you watched NFL insiders on ESPN Bill Polian talks about the circumstances regarding Cassel, and the fact that many in the Bills FO thought Cassel would win the starting job. Then they discovered that in fact he played himself out of the job. Which is why they initially cut him. The current QB in Dallas is Brandon Weeden who has lost his last nine starts at QB. How about we cry over the loss of the bum when he actually wins a game for the Cowboys.

yeah that's it :wallbash: OMG

EJ was as good or better than Cassel the past few years. EJ is young and hasn't reached his ceiling. Cassel is not going to suddenly get better 10 years into his career. It's not hard to figure out why many would rather have EJ.

EJ was as good or better than Cassel the past few years. EJ is young and hasn't reached his ceiling. Cassel is not going to suddenly get better 10 years into his career. It's not hard to figure out why many would rather have EJ.

I sorta get your general point, but cassel was actually better than Manuel in just about every statistical category in 2013, and their yardage numbers were remarkably similar -- 1800+ for Cassel vs. 1900+ for Manuel. So what you're saying isn't really accurate. Neither played much in 2014, and neither was very good. Cassel's stats were hurt by a very bad game against NE. EJ didn't have to play againat Belichick last season (NE's pass defense was #1 in the league according to footballoutsiders). Edited by dave mcbride

I sorta get your general point, but cassel was actually better than Manuel in just about every statistical category in 2013, and their yardage numbers were remarkably similar -- 1800+ for Cassel vs. 1900+ for Manuel. So what you're saying isn't really accurate. Neither played much in 2014, and neither was very good. Cassel's stats were hurt by a very bad game against NE. EJ didn't have to play againat Belichick last season (NE's pass defense was #1 in the league according to footballoutsiders).

You make MDH's point. All things being equal one guy is at the beginning of his career the other the end. Why is it even a question who you keep?

You make MDH's point. All things being equal one guy is at the beginning of his career the other the end. Why is it even a question who you keep?

it's not! the author is suggesting it would have been smart to keep both. sure seems reasonable to me.

To bring it back to Bucky's main argument - it's not a choice between EJ & Cassel. It's a choice between Cassel & Josh Johnson.