Bucky: Trading Cassel doesn’t look good right now

Is Bucky right?  

196 members have voted

1. 1. What is real issue

• Whaley is arrogant
    • Whaley is insecure
    • Bucky is self delusional , insecure and arrogant writer who just wants clicks

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone still think that Cassel is a better QB for this team than EJ, or that we should have had 3 QBs on the 53 when the starter was healthy? I thought this was over. Whaley is a good GM who has built the most talented roster the Bills have had in 10-15 years. Cassel isn't a good QB, has no arm strength and is getting worse with age. He would not have been an asset though he he may have provided some vet knowledge in TC. He did that. Bye Matt. IMO.

Where is the choice, this is a stupid poll with idiotic choices?

Bucky is Bucky. Like him, hate him, he's suppose to write things like this to get readers.

Exactly add none of the above. I will take EJ over Cassel any day of the week. Looking forward to seeing if he improved. We may be surprised.

I don't think Cassel would necessarily have started over Manuel if he was still on the team (although he might have; he was #2 when he was traded), I personally think it was a pretty dumb move to unload him given the lack of a backup should Taylor go down (which he did) and his new deal. But I also thought releasing Jackson was an ill-advised move too.

It's a mixed bag with Whaley; there's no getting around that -- or so it appears to me. Some of his moves do have me wondering. I can't imagine Greg Roman was thrilled to see his #2 qb traded, fwiw.

Edited by dave mcbride

Not voting because the choices are kinda lame.

Statuesque Cassel wouldn't survive long behind the current state of the Bills offensive line along with the decrepit state of the Bills RB situation. The Bills did the right thing in trading away a square block from a round hole. A blind man could have seen he wasn't a fit in a Bills uni.

Then the Bills FO must be supremely confidant in EJ's ability to dump Cassel. Although EJ is being put in a very, very difficult situation against the undefeated Bengals considering the current state of the offense. I hope he tears them up with Clay, Sammy, Percy, and Robert!

On a side note i'm very glad that the ex Patriot QB is long gone from Buffalo, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to hear that good old Matt also gave some info about his new team to his old team the cheaters.

Disagree, IMO Cassel would have been Bradyesque, and Manningesque, (both statues by the way) at getting the ball out in about 2 seconds. FWIW, MC, not nearly as gifted physically as EJ or TT, has shown the ability to read the coverage pre snap and know where to go with the ball pre snap. That's something that both EeeeeeeJ and TeeeeT seem to be lacking.

Not voting because the choices are kinda lame.

Statuesque Cassel wouldn't survive long behind the current state of the Bills offensive line along with the decrepit state of the Bills RB situation. The Bills did the right thing in trading away a square block from a round hole. A blind man could have seen he wasn't a fit in a Bills uni.

Then the Bills FO must be supremely confidant in EJ's ability to dump Cassel. Although EJ is being put in a very, very difficult situation against the undefeated Bengals considering the current state of the offense. I hope he tears them up with Clay, Sammy, Percy, and Robert!

On a side note i'm very glad that the ex Patriot QB is long gone from Buffalo, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to hear that good old Matt also gave some info about his new team to his old team the cheaters.

I like taylor, but he holds the ball for an eternity compared to a lot of other starters. He creates some of his own sacks.

I don't think Cassel would necessarily have started over Manuel if he was still on the team (although he might have; he was #2 when he was traded), I personally think it was a pretty dumb move to unload him given the lack of a backup should Taylor go down (which he did) and his new deal. But I also thought releasing Jackson was an ill-advised move too.

It's a mixed bag with Whaley; there's no getting around that -- or so it appears to me. Some of his moves do have me wondering. I can't imagine Greg Roman was thrilled to see his #2 qb traded, fwiw.

I don't understand this Dave. Manuel is the backup who has started 14 games in the NFL, and some of them looked good, and some of them not so good. Kinda the definition of a backup no?

Or, are you saying we dont have a 3rd? If that is the case, i will again ask who has a 3rd worth a damn in the NFL?

Edited by plenzmd1

I don't understand this Dave. Manuel is the backup who has started 14 games in the NFL, and some of them looked good, and some of them not so good. Kinda the definition of a backup no?

Or, are you saying we dont have a 3rd? If that is the case, i will again ask who has a 3rd worth a damn in the NFL?

No -- I meant backup to the backup. Given TT's game, him getting injured is always a real possibility. Sorry I wasn't clear. I just think the Bills are a team that is best served with 3 qbs.

The Cowboys!

Look -- if TT is down for 4-6 games (worst case scenario, I know) and Manuel is terrible (within the realm of possibility given past performance), then who do you turn to? When your qb goes down, you aim to play .500 ball with your backup. I hope we can do that, but nothing is certain. The cowboys thought they could with weeden, but that didn't turn out to be the case. Cassel is superior to Weeden.

Anyone who is upset over the Cassel situation is delusional.... If you are a GM, you do not bank on a 3rd string quarterback getting you into the playoffs. Most teams carry only 2 quarterbacks. If they are both injured, well I don't care who your 3rd stringer is, they will not carry you to the playoffs or win many if any games.

Same line as with Fred Jackson. I've heard so many people saying oh how bout now not having Jackson doesn't that suck... you're right, we should keep 6 running backs on the roster to assume that the top 5 would be injured by week 6.

There is not a single team in the NFL that maintains it's power ranking or it's season expectations when they lose their starting qb.... super bowl contenders drop to playoff births, and playoff bubble teams drop to outside looking in.

Anyone who is upset over the Cassel situation is delusional.... If you are a GM, you do not bank on a 3rd string quarterback getting you into the playoffs. Most teams carry only 2 quarterbacks. If they are both injured, well I don't care who your 3rd stringer is, they will not carry you to the playoffs or win many if any games.

Same line as with Fred Jackson. I've heard so many people saying oh how bout now not having Jackson doesn't that suck... you're right, we should keep 6 running backs on the roster to assume that the top 5 would be injured by week 6.

There is not a single team in the NFL that maintains it's power ranking or it's season expectations when they lose their starting qb.... super bowl contenders drop to playoff births, and playoff bubble teams drop to outside looking in.

You're ignoring some facts here. Rightly or wrongly, cassel was the 2nd string qb on the roster when he was traded. Manuel was not suiting up. Also the bills chose to keep bryce brown over jackson. Jackson was not a 6th rb.

More broadly, is it heresy to say that while whaley has done well at certain aspects of team building, a few moves make one wonder?

Edited by dave mcbride

The Cowboys!

Look -- if TT is down for 4-6 games (worst case scenario, I know) and Manuel is terrible (within the realm of possibility given past performance), then who do you turn to? When your qb goes down, you aim to play .500 ball with your backup. I hope we can do that, but nothing is certain. The cowboys thought they could with weeden, but that didn't turn out to be the case. Cassel is superior to Weeden.

But, they didn't before trading for Cassell right? Tha'ts kinda my point.

Now, it is also the problem with having a a kickoff guy. 3rd QB or kickoff guy?

I dont know whats up with Cassel, but there was probably more going on behind the scenes than meets the eye.

I wonder if they had kind of an agreement when he re-signed here that if there was an appealing spot for him and a trade was to be had then Whaley would do right by him?