[closed]At what point will you call Sammy Watkins a bust?

dayman

So like...week 5 of year 3? That's what when we can reasonably stop waking up praying for him to play ball for us consistently?

He's started 19 out of 21 possible games for the team. He won 3 games almost by himself last season. He makes everyone on offense better just by being on the field... that's not consistent enough for you?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bust? No.

Disappointment so far this year? Sure. Plenty of time to turn that around though.

We almost dropped one today that would have thrown us in a spiral. There isn't plenty of time. It's extremely frustrating and Sammy gets a pass. Everyone knows the kid is super talented...but it's always a month away to make him click for us on a dominating level.

Bust? No.

Disappointment so far this year? Sure. Plenty of time to turn that around though.

See now I can get on board with this

Sammy Watkins is supposed to be special and we gave up picks for a special player

But

He had a fine rookie season......and has missed....what...3 games due to injury?

So be dissapointed if you want.....but Bust? Not in the near future

So like...week 5 of year 3? That's what when we can reasonably stop waking up praying for him to play ball for us consistently?

If you want to call Watkins a bust this year, go right ahead.

I have not seen any real reason to call him a bust. He had a damn good rookie season.

We almost dropped one today that would have thrown us in a spiral. There isn't plenty of time. It's extremely frustrating and Sammy gets a pass. Everyone knows the kid is super talented...but it's always a month away to make him click for us on a dominating level.

Let me ask you this (as I watch ODB walk off the field with a hammy)

Lets just say that Watkins plays this week......lets say his is what....87 percent.

Now....lets say he reinjures the ankle and isnt avalable for what should be a MUCH tougher opponent in the bengals

Would you be bitching then?

I have seen the offense, and I appreciate and have heard this statement over and over the last few weeks. Great. It still doesn't matter. It's pathetic to sit there and say he goes out there and pulls some coverage and that's a success for him...this is a pathetic response to a real discussion about Sammy and his consistent injuries and lack of consistent production. We need and traded for a star...Sammy isn't a star by any stretch.

Take off your Bills glasses and watch the league. Learn what a difference maker on offense really looks like. It isn't Sammy.

I can go with you on your vision... but not on the whole bust v non bust convo. Someone who a team invests in like that should have megatron capabilities. And in the words of my buddy, Buddy, be open when he isnt open. You have to make things happen despite being the focal point of the defensive game plan. All the injury talk is annoying. Its always something with him. But in the right situation Sammy is a 1500 yd caliber reciever... but as i have said to a friend earlier. The coach has no idea what he built. This is NOT and i repeat NOT a power run team. Just because you have a fullback and 8 rbs. This is a west coast talent. Small line save for the tackles who can move. And we have McCoy Harvin Clay and Watkins who are YAC yard mavens. Watch highlights of any of them. And you will see that they work great with the ball in their hands. Slants Drags Comebacks and Flats are the key to the success of this team. Quick hitters are what would do it for us. Edited by Agent 91

Let me ask you this (as I watch ODB walk off the field with a hammy)

Lets just say that Watkins plays this week......lets say his is what....87 percent.

Now....lets say he reinjures the ankle and isnt avalable for what should be a MUCH tougher opponent in the bengals

Would you be bitching then?

Not really. We aren't beating the Bengals either way, "saving" Sammy Watkins until he feels like it's the first day of training camp isn't a strategy I can get on board with. Dude just needs to play. It isn't optional with him. Even if he just goes out there and pulls coverage and that is all he does...he needs to go out there and do that...every week. If he breaks down to where he literally can't go, then so be it. But we need him out there every game. And frankly, we need him out there doing more than pulling coverage, banged up or not. There are only 16 games...and we almost flushed the season down the toilet today.

Edited by Rex'sOffense

Have you seen the offense minus Sammy the past two weeks? He has a huge effect on the game whether hes putting up big stats or not.

So, basically what you are saying is that the Bills don't really have a viable #1 WR that can help pull all the coverage their way if Sammy isn't on the field. Not the #2 pick at WR In Robert Woods nor the 6 million dollar WR in Percy Harvin.

Lets not even discuss how often Watkins has been battling injuries over the last two seasons. While he was almost never 100% last season, and now has missed games this year.

The real issue in my view is Sammy the type of WR who can take over a game and put up huge numbers like a superstar WR should? The answer is, so far, not really. Or is his real use as a decoy to draw double coverage while not really earning that double coverage? Three draft picks used for this one player, and its not out of the world of reality to question his actual worth at this time.

Sammy Watkins will always be compared to Odell Beckham Jr, and look at tonight while being double covered with a lot of the coverage's attempting to take Beckham out of the game, and yet so far tonight 7 rec for 121 yards, 1 TD.

Just saying.

It's too soon to call Watkins a bust, but the Bills have had terrible luck drafting WR'a over the last 5-10 years. Robert Woods has been very disappointing. I hope the Bills shut Watkins down until he's 100% healthy. It stinks that we could have had Beckham, though.

First point. Wood was up and coming last year. Anything but disappointing. And just insert name for the bills rookie wr... you dont use him right. You will get the same result.

Not really. We aren't beating the Bengals either way, "saving" Sammy Watkins until he feels like it's the first day of training camp isn't a strategy I can get on board with. Dude just needs to play. It isn't optional with him. Even if he just goes out there and pulls coverage and that is all he does...he needs to go out there and do that...every week. If he breaks down to where he literally can't go, then so be it. But we need him out there every game. And frankly, we need him out there doing more than pulling coverage, banged up or not. There are only 16 games...and we almost flushed the season down the toilet today.

Turn in your bills jersey and gtfoh

If he's on the field and you throw him the ball enough, he will make plays, and some of those plays will be dominating, we've all seen that... it won't take a month for that, just get him the ball. Now, I do think the O will be a lot better overall a month from now the more they work together.

Our top three wide receivers (Watkins, Harvin and Woods) have been disappointing so far this season. While I do not think that Watkins is a bust, his lack of availability so far this season is frustrating. Woods seems to have regressed and I am not sure if Harvin was injured in the game today, but he has not done anything in the last couple of games.

The reality is that Watkins needs to be healthy and play like a top WR if people are going to forget about, or at least focus less on, the cost of trading up to get him.

So, basically what you are saying is that the Bills don't really have a viable #1 WR that can help pull all the coverage their way if Sammy isn't on the field. Not the #2 pick at WR In Robert Woods nor the 6 million dollar WR in Percy Harvin.

Lets not even discuss how often Watkins has been battling injuries over the last two seasons. While he was almost never 100% last season, and now has missed games this year.

The real issue in my view is Sammy the type of WR who can take over a game and put up huge numbers like a superstar WR should? The answer is, so far, not really. Or is his real use as a decoy to draw double coverage while not really earning that double coverage? Three draft picks used for this one player, and its not out of the world of reality to question his actual worth at this time.

Sammy Watkins will always be compared to Odell Beckham Jr, and look at tonight while being double covered with a lot of the coverage's attempting to take Beckham out of the game, and yet so far tonight 7 rec for 121 yards, 1 TD.

Just saying.

This is a quality post and I'm glad to see some posters here are willing to say this kind of thing. The bottom line is we all love Sammy and nobody really wants to come out and criticize the guy b/c of that and b/c we all know he's talented and could blow up for us any day. But at some point...the dude has to go out and earn it. And it's just a flat out fact (fair or not to him, I say fair) that he needs to go big and go big often to earn it. He hasn't done it, and it doesn't look like he's poised to do it anytime in the foreseeable future. This kills our potential on offense.

I think McCoy has been more of a bust this year then Watkins. Watkins is the reason the team did so well the first week. Other teams have to account for him, which opens up Harvin. Then you couple McCoy being out and pretty much defenses can stop the run, thus stop the Offense. The Titans bottled up a crappy offense today which made the defense stay out way to long. Taylor has to play every game like he did today in the 3rd/4th QTR when Watkins and/or McCoy are out.