Amateur Hour With this Coaching Staff

K-9

That was an awful pass by TT.

It may be an awful pass by TT, cue up the "I don't give a f**K" music. Jim Kelly threw awful passes at times too, the difference was his WR and TE were very well coached that you never never never let the other team catch your pass. If Clay couldn't catch it, he needed to bat it out. If we want Taylor to take some chances and throw under pressure, his guys need to protect him when he does, and I don't mean his OL.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like another year of pretending vs. contending with this group.

Offensively, I don't understand how Roman can go from the play designs of a week ago to seemingly having little clue this afternoon. I'm sure the tape review will show how much we missed Sammy and Shady in the passing game and I can cut him some slack for that, but that two minute offense to end the first half was beyond comprehension. NOBODY on the field or sideline had any idea of what they wanted to do and that worries me greatly moving forward. What were they doing on the sideline while the defense was on the field before getting the ball back? No excuse for that display of two minute offense. None.

Defensively, we once again lost our composure at critical times and it worries me that Rex seemed unperturbed with it in his presser. I can only hope he supported them publicly but will rip them all a new one in the film room. Brady did indeed provide a blue print and good QBs like Manning can execute the kind of offense that neutralizes our pass rush and forces our LBs to cover.

I won't say anything about the atrocious tackling all day, other than when your team scores a momentum changing TD to get within six, your defense needs to come up big with a stop if it wants to call itself a good defense. Bradham's miss will keep him in my doghouse for a long time. Embarrassing to say the least.

We are NOT a great defense and somebody on that unit needs to stand up and scream that at the top of his lungs in that lockerroom. I think they've been reading their clippings and enjoy being coddled by Ryan. Well Rex, this defense has HUGE problems when facing anything other than a poor team with average QBing. Good teams with average QBs can beat us when we play like today. Good teams with good QBs will embarrass us if we can't fix these problems.

Bottom line is, I don't think the Giants beat us as much as we beat ourselves. 99% of the time, that's a coaching issue and our staff schit the bed big time today. Amateur hour indeed.

GO BILLS!!!

Over the previous few years our OL was overmatched. No amount of scheming and coaching could overcome the lack of talent. It has become evident again that the line's problems relate to talent level. To put it mildly Henderson is struggling.There were a number of plays where he simply whiffed allowing the defender to blow up the play. Urbik is a reasonable utility backup but he is not a starting caliber of guard. Glenn's best year was his rookie year. The organization has been secretive about his offseason illnesses/injuries which I'm sure affected his preparation. But in general he has been a disappointment. There is no question that Incognito is our best lineman. Without a doubt he is a tough player but with us his of style of play is much more refined and less of a wild brawler. Without his addition this line would be sunk.

As you noted the absence of McCoy and Watkins have impacted the offense. But we are not the only team that has to handle those inevitable challenges. What was evident in the Giant game was that their DL controlled our OL. On top of that they stacked the line overwheling our line even more. Roman's response was to stubbornly run plays into the strength of the defense. As you indicated Roman called a very unimaginative game and didn't react well to the flow of the game. That was very disappointing.

I'm not a Rex fan, and never have been so. He is more of a personality than he is a thinker. He is the type of person who can wow you in an interview but over time it becomes evident that his assets relate more to style than substance. In both the Pat and Giant games the personality and demeanor of those respective teams reflected their HCs. It was evident for all to see in the Giant game that the lack of maturity and discipline is a reflection of the personality of the HC.

The test of aspiring teams is not when they handlily beat lesser teams. The test is how do you perform against very good teams. That is when the measurement is real. It is not unfair to say even for a hometeam fan that the Bills had more talent than the Giants. The Giants prevailed because they were better coached and played with more maturity and intelligence. That is very disappointing.

here's a fan with their finger on the pulse.. :thumbsup:

in regard to the OP, i'm gonna cut Roman some slack on what he could do without two very big pieces of his O. not having to account for the threat of Watkins and McCoy, coupled with some very poor field position, allowed Spags some freedom in committing his corners to support the edge because they had help over the top. that helps not there if Watkins is playing, and as much as i like the new kid, he can't cut back through pursuit like McCoy casn. the one play Roman did eventually go to the well with were those Clay drags across and out. kind of surprised they kept working considering he may have been priority #1.

I cut Roman slack for the loss of Sammy and McCoy in my op. I give him nothing for that farce of a two minute offense where he appeared to have no command and less of an idea what the situation called for; totally inept.

GO BILLS!!!

God this board is crazy after a loss. We are still 2-2 and in 6th place in the AFC.

R-E-L-A-X

The concern is not over the team's record. It is over the undisciplined and unintelligent way it is playing. The difference in the Giant game was not talent; it was coaching.

The concern is not over the team's record. It is over the undisciplined and unintelligent way it is playing. The difference in the Giant game was not talent; it was coaching.

Well said.

My concern also applies to the .500 record; Mr. R-E-L-A-X won't be relaxing when the 2-2 becomes 5-5 and then 8-8.

I'm feeling the same. The choice of the words "build a bully" while politically incorrect these days, is scary to me for a completely separate reason. Bullies act like idiots (personal fouls) and eventually get beat up by someone bigger than them (The Patriots and the Giants). So far this year Ryan has gone up against two coaches who are better than him. He has lost to both. Just saying.

I agree about Ryan. He has built a team in his image. If you want to be a "bully" you need to be a smart "bully". This team acts more like a gang of undisciplined "thugs" not smart bullies. Ryan has not shown to be a smart coach. He is a lot of bluster but not much action to back up the words. He is undisciplined in his words and actions, and his players are following his example.

Many players on defense are taking a step back in development from the Schwartz era. Not that I would want Marrone back, but I think this D was much better under Schwartz.

We have the raw talent on this team, but I am beginning to think Ryan is hurting the overall talent development of this team. And he has been completely out-coached two weeks. I look back at the talented Jets teams that failed under Ryan and worry he will do to the Bills what he did to the Jets.

We have the talent now, but we need a talented coach who can instill motivation and discipline in that talent. The Bills are beating themselves, not getting beat.

I agree, and its not to early to recognize bad coaching, bad schemes with mistakes made by the coaching staff.

In two games the team looked great, and in two games they looked unbelievably bad especially on defense (which is Ryan's forte)

17 penalties this last game, and those gave the Giants 7 first downs! The Bills offense had two first downs at the half.

So, how does this play out? Does Rex have the ability to turn it around (penalties, can't check his emotions like an adult, performance accountability vs. making excuses for his team, etc.), or does Roman get promoted and Rex rides off into the sunset in the clown car? Or, some other scenario?

Probably too early to tell, but some really disturbing early evidence that this could go really bad.

HB

So, how does this play out? Does Rex have the ability to turn it around (penalties, can't check his emotions like an adult, performance accountability vs. making excuses for his team, etc.), or does Roman get promoted and Rex rides off into the sunset in the clown car? Or, some other scenario?

Probably too early to tell, but some really disturbing early evidence that this could go really bad.

HB

That was too funny, and got a real laugh from me. Clown car seems appropriate after this last game, and the games with dropping Jerry Hughes into pass coverage. No wonder the guy has anger issues...

This is becoming an urban legend. The players on the field were far more responsible for the loss than any coach. Plays were there to be made and they didn't make them or the NYG player in front of them just made a better one. Easley falls down in the EZ, Bradham misses an open field tackle he should make 90% of the time, TT doesn't see Felton open in the EZ, Carp misses a chip shot, NYG bobble a KO off at the goal line and no Bills get there for the tackle. KW lines up over center on a FG attempt and turns 3 Pts into 6. How is this " coaching"? You can talk all you want about PF penalties, but the Bills still would have won this game if they just made plays that were there in front of them. Coaching can put you in position to win, but guys still have to make the plays.

This is becoming an urban legend. The players on the field were far more responsible for the loss than any coach. Plays were there to be made and they didn't make them or the NYG player in front of them just made a better one. Easley falls down in the EZ, Bradham misses an open field tackle he should make 90% of the time, TT doesn't see Felton open in the EZ, Carp misses a chip shot, NYG bobble a KO off at the goal line and no Bills get there for the tackle. KW lines up over center on a FG attempt and turns 3 Pts into 6. How is this " coaching"? You can talk all you want about PF penalties, but the Bills still would have won this game if they just made plays that were there in front of them. Coaching can put you in position to win, but guys still have to make the plays.

The margin between winning and losing is small. Plays are always there to be made and are not made. That applies to both teams on the field. That's the nature of the sport. But that is not the central point most of the commentators are making. One can debate whether a particular PF penalty affected the game or not but even that isn't the issue. What is apparent is that this team is not playing smartly and not playing with sufficent discipline. If you don't believe that is an issue then you are in the minority.

Even the loud and brash HC who when asked about the penalties made the dumb comments about how he was proud of his team's efforts has recognized how ridiculous those comments were. He backtracked on those silly comments and acknowledged that the team needs to play with more discipline.

I strongly believe that from a talent standpoint that the Bills were the better team. The winning margin for the Giants is that they played smarter and with more discipline. That is a function of coaching and leadership.

The Bills are a fringe wildcard playoff team. They are not good enough to overcome self-destructive behavior on the field. The margin of error between being a playoff tam and not is smaller than you think.

After the Patriots and Giants debacles I'm convinced we are merely pretenders, yet again, and we will not be going to the playoffs for a 16th year.

I have no explanation for this franchise but my Sundays are much free-er the rest of this football season. I'll watch them but I won't go out of my way if there are better things I can be doing. I lost all faith again.

Hopefully the light switch comes on and the 2nd half of the season will be salvageable

Why is no one wanting to credit the play of the NY Giants. The Giants dominated on both sides of the line and controlled the line of scrimmage. They played better football than the Bills...For Eli to throw the ball in 1.78 seconds requires a lot of accuracy.

It may be an awful pass by TT, cue up the "I don't give a f**K" music. Jim Kelly threw awful passes at times too, the difference was his WR and TE were very well coached that you never never never let the other team catch your pass. If Clay couldn't catch it, he needed to bat it out. If we want Taylor to take some chances and throw under pressure, his guys need to protect him when he does, and I don't mean his OL.

A WR can tackle a defender & we get the down over minus 10 yds.

I cut Roman slack for the loss of Sammy and McCoy in my op. I give him nothing for that farce of a two minute offense where he appeared to have no command and less of an idea what the situation called for; totally inept.

GO BILLS!!!

And no sense of urgency. Do we really need to huddle up?

^^This. We're all aware of where we stand in the conference, etc. But to blatantly ignore the hellacious disciplinary problems of its team and, furthermore, the coach promoting it, is terrifying...