Amateur Hour With this Coaching Staff

K-9

They're not amateurs. They've been around the block. This goes more to ability. I hope they can bounce back - and STAY there.

sorry, I think you are completely incorrect. Outreached and outclassed.

sorry, I think you are completely incorrect. Outreached and outclassed.

sorry, I meant outcoached & outclassed

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^^This. We're all aware of where we stand in the conference, etc. But to blatantly ignore the hellacious disciplinary problems of its team and, furthermore, the coach promoting it, is terrifying...

What I find very troubling is that Rex's behavior that is on display is who he is. That's how he has acted as a DC with the Ravens and a HC with the Jets. He's being authentic, not being a phony with his comical bravado. The bluster and bully persona are ingrained traits that follow the family line, starting with his father. The old school thuggish behavior endorsed by his father when he was a coach is outdated in today's NFL. I'm not referring to hard nosed football; i'm referring to the extra curricula activity that is no longer tolerated.

Very often organizations go in the opposite direction with respect to personality in selecting leadership after a problematic departure. Doug Marrone was a stern and arrogant person who was very unlikeable. It's not a pleasure to work with that type of unpleasant personality. So it was understandable why the organization went in the opposite direction when searching for a replacement. Where Marrone was taciturn--Rex was exuberant. Where Marrone was unapproachable---Rex was engaging. Where Marrone challenged and questioned the decisions of his bosses and acting as if he was in authority---Rex knows how to better work with his bosses and is more dexterious working within the lines of authority.

It's not surprising that when Rex was fired by the Jets they hired Tod Bowles who is a much more serious type of person and who is more of a disciplinarian than the dispatched HC. Many people within the organization believed he lost control of his team. The same type of dynamic happened with the 49ers and Harbaugh. Harbaugh was a terrific HC but from within the organizatiion he was both challenging and exhausting to work with. So his replacement was the opposite type of person.

My fear is that the same type of dynamic happened with the Bills and the Pegulas with their new hire. Let's hope Rex is more adaptable and adjusts his approach to the situation for the betterment of the team and his own self-interest.

What I find very troubling is that Rex's behavior that is on display is who he is. That's how he has acted as a DC with the Ravens and a HC with the Jets. He's being authentic, not being a phony with his comical bravado. The bluster and bully persona are ingrained traits that follow the family line, starting with his father. The old school thuggish behavior endorsed by his father when he was a coach is outdated in today's NFL. I'm not referring to hard nosed football; i'm referring to the extra curricula activity that is no longer tolerated. ...

This is true. Buddy Ryan was the originator of the bounty concept back in the day and fully enjoyed the public discussion about it. I remember the hoopla over 'The Bounty Bowl' in the late 80s especially. Even later, with the Cardinals, he placed bounties on Brian Mitchell of the 'Skins. Buddy was the original bully.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

It may be an awful pass by TT, cue up the "I don't give a f**K" music. Jim Kelly threw awful passes at times too, the difference was his WR and TE were very well coached that you never never never let the other team catch your pass. If Clay couldn't catch it, he needed to bat it out. If we want Taylor to take some chances and throw under pressure, his guys need to protect him when he does, and I don't mean his OL.

Good for Jimbo, TT is no Jimbo. There are times where the WR/TE/RB won't be able to do such thing, I won't blame them if they can't, unless they show lack of effort which was not the Clay case. You can't make them aware of that, they will "protect" if they are in good position.

On what planet was that an awful pass?

My goodness Bills fans are dumb after a loss.

Underthrown and on the wrong shoulder, awful pass and thanks for the nice words, have a nice day.

Looks like another year of pretending vs. contending with this group.

Offensively, I don't understand how Roman can go from the play designs of a week ago to seemingly having little clue this afternoon. I'm sure the tape review will show how much we missed Sammy and Shady in the passing game and I can cut him some slack for that, but that two minute offense to end the first half was beyond comprehension. NOBODY on the field or sideline had any idea of what they wanted to do and that worries me greatly moving forward. What were they doing on the sideline while the defense was on the field before getting the ball back? No excuse for that display of two minute offense. None.

Defensively, we once again lost our composure at critical times and it worries me that Rex seemed unperturbed with it in his presser. I can only hope he supported them publicly but will rip them all a new one in the film room. Brady did indeed provide a blue print and good QBs like Manning can execute the kind of offense that neutralizes our pass rush and forces our LBs to cover.

I won't say anything about the atrocious tackling all day, other than when your team scores a momentum changing TD to get within six, your defense needs to come up big with a stop if it wants to call itself a good defense. Bradham's miss will keep him in my doghouse for a long time. Embarrassing to say the least.

We are NOT a great defense and somebody on that unit needs to stand up and scream that at the top of his lungs in that lockerroom. I think they've been reading their clippings and enjoy being coddled by Ryan. Well Rex, this defense has HUGE problems when facing anything other than a poor team with average QBing. Good teams with average QBs can beat us when we play like today. Good teams with good QBs will embarrass us if we can't fix these problems.

Bottom line is, I don't think the Giants beat us as much as we beat ourselves. 99% of the time, that's a coaching issue and our staff schit the bed big time today. Amateur hour indeed.

GO BILLS!!!

you have lost your mind K-9.

A WR can tackle a defender & we get the down over minus 10 yds.

And no sense of urgency. Do we really need to huddle up?

its actually a complicated offense for a very young team who has 4 players subbing in for first week starters.

so probably. And Coughlin is no ones fool. he knew how to mess with TT.

^^This. We're all aware of where we stand in the conference, etc. But to blatantly ignore the hellacious disciplinary problems of its team and, furthermore, the coach promoting it, is terrifying...

I think that quote has been misconstrued terribly to be quite honest.

Rex knows its not cool. But he knows its not a level field. He needs to correct his message though. and maybe he partially has. We have no idea what is said in the locker room. He sat A Williams for minute when he lost his mind. Hendy actually had his hands up in his shoulder pads when Aaron tried to walk off away from him.

Fourth game under the new regime. Bumpy crazy fun.

Try to enjoy the ride folks!

I don't see what all the fuss is... Wanna go back do the last 15 years all over.

Jeesh.... Try something new, we are two games in sitting @ 2-2 and all people can do is try and find perfection. My God, @ least this is all refreshing.

whats with you engineering types? using some crazy logick.

i think its a riot. love it.

and i dont like losing one iota. seriously.

you have lost your mind K-9.

its actually a complicated offense for a very young team who has 4 players subbing in for first week starters.

so probably. And Coughlin is no ones fool. he knew how to mess with TT.

Right. Like you're a bastion of rational thought immediately following that debacle on Sunday.

Still, two days after the event, I am discouraged by Roman's lack of proficiency with the two minute offense. He has joined Bradham in my dog house.

GO BILLS!!!

Right. Like you're a bastion of rational thought immediately following that debacle on Sunday.

Still, two days after the event, I am discouraged by Roman's lack of proficiency with the two minute offense. He has joined Bradham in my dog house.

GO BILLS!!!

: )

Brother i am rarely a bastion of rational thought.

This is true. Buddy Ryan was the originator of the bounty concept back in the day and fully enjoyed the public discussion about it. I remember the hoopla over 'The Bounty Bowl' in the late 80s especially. Even later, with the Cardinals, he placed bounties on Brian Mitchell of the 'Skins. Buddy was the original bully.

GO BILLS!!!

I remember when he first got the job with the Eagles. He went on the Philly radio and TV shows and he talked trash. He was a riot. He was the toast of the town and the fans embraced his roughneck attitude. But in the end his mouth couldn't match his performance and he was sent packing.

When he was the DC for the star studded Bear defense the players on his unit loved him. Not Ditka, the HC, who had to be held back from kicking his fat ass in. Buddy had no reservatiions in having his unit mug players on offense in practice. He didn't care if the players on offense got hurt because they weren't on his unit. Buddy was a neanderthal, and he was proud of it.

Buddy and Rex are more noted for exercising their mouths than they are for exercising their brains. The word cerebral is not in their dictionary. I have to give Buddy credit for being smart enough to hustle the owners into giving him a five year contract. Not bad for someone who is not known for his intellect!

: )

Brother i am rarely a bastion of rational thought.

Of course not. Otherwise, how could you have recognized my insanity?

Doesn't mean I'm wrong about Roman, though. Until he demonstrates command of our two minute offense, I will remain convinced he's out of his depth.

GO BILLS!!!

sorry, I meant outcoached & outclassed

I apparently didn't make my point clearly, they were outcoached. Totally. They are not amateurs because they are experienced and very well paid. They just weren't as talented on these days. And there is a track record as well....

Of course not. Otherwise, how could you have recognized my insanity?

Doesn't mean I'm wrong about Roman, though. Until he demonstrates command of our two minute offense, I will remain convinced he's out of his depth.

GO BILLS!!!

Until i see proper play execution i will say the team is still working at it. It only take one whiff to ruin a series. Whether it be Urbik ( who struggled mightily) or Henderson who killed us more than once or a TE missing the chip.

Thank you for recognizing my recognition, you keen bastard you.

Go Bills Indeed !

I apparently didn't make my point clearly, they were outcoached. Totally. They are not amateurs because they are experienced and very well paid. They just weren't as talented on these days. And there is a track record as well....

I recall some of my work buddies getting all silly about the final score ( which i never predict, i just hope for the win).

I said we should be worried. Coughlin has seen it all. Ginats are very physical. be vewwy vewwy careful.

Learning game. unfortunately : (

I won't say anything about the atrocious tackling all day, other than when your team scores a momentum changing TD to get within six, your defense needs to come up big with a stop if it wants to call itself a good defense. Bradham's miss will keep him in my doghouse for a long time. Embarrassing to say the least.

I can't understand how a RB can bounce among the defensive backfield like a pinball and get five or more yards after he should have been wrapped up. The Pats game and the Giants game were full of this.

I like the way Bradham plays so I am not going to get too upset about a missed tackle, but Antoine Winfield would have made that tackle. He knew how to go for the ankles and wrap a guy up. I used to love to see him bring down guys who weighed 50 pounds more than he did. Don't they teach things like that anymore?

I can't understand how a RB can bounce among the defensive backfield like a pinball and get five or more yards after he should have been wrapped up. The Pats game and the Giants game were full of this.

I like the way Bradham plays so I am not going to get too upset about a missed tackle, but Antoine Winfield would have made that tackle. He knew how to go for the ankles and wrap a guy up. I used to love to see him bring down guys who weighed 50 pounds more than he did. Don't they teach things like that anymore?

I think the sheer lack of practice time in pads has a lot to do with the poor tackling, not just with us, but throughout the league. That's no excuse as we are quite capable of it as evidenced by our tackling vs. Indy. I just can't believe Bradham screwed the pooch in such an absolutely critical situation. All the momentum we had by scoring the previous series to pull within six, was just sucked out of the stadium.

Great players and great defenses force a three and out in that situation. We are posers.

GO BILLS!!!

I think the sheer lack of practice time in pads has a lot to do with the poor tackling, not just with us, but throughout the league. That's no excuse as we are quite capable of it as evidenced by our tackling vs. Indy. I just can't believe Bradham screwed the pooch in such an absolutely critical situation. All the momentum we had by scoring the previous series to pull within six, was just sucked out of the stadium.

Great players and great defenses force a three and out in that situation. We are posers.

GO BILLS!!!

I have to agree. Bradham has missed critical plays. Duke Williams has struggled mightily, and i can forgive Rambo due to exp. ( no i can't) we have a couple of players that are making crucial errors in the secondary.

K-9 you have gone after coaching a little bit. I am a huge Donnie Henderson fan, But maybe i am blinded. Because these 3 have made game changing mistakes.

Maybe its at the LB level and i dont catch it till the safeties need to react but. with one on ones LB Bradham and S Duke have made some glaring mistakes. and both have enough years under their belts to expect better.

and the of course they make some awesome plays too which drives ya nuts