Whaley's Roster Construction Close to Completion

@ChrisBrownBills

Doug Whaley's roster construction close to completion. Full story - #Bills - http://ow.ly/SUrYq

1001-whaley-roster.jpg

Last week there weren’t many outside observers who could understand how the Bills felt they were a better team by trading veteran backup quarterback Matt Cassel. Never mind that the team already felt they were stable at quarterback without him when he was one of the team’s final cuts in early September only to return at what was presumed to be a reduced rate. So when general manager Doug Whaley pulled the trigger sending Cassel to Dallas three weeks later the move didn’t add up for the critics.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It started with Buddy and it's being tied up nicely with Doug Whaley. This team has oodles of talent, we have a 2nd round pick as the AFC Defensive Rookie of the Month and a 5th round running back running lights out and a 3rd rounder as our starting RG. You can nit-pick all you want, but this team is better than it has been in a long, long, long time. Now with ownership that will actually pay to retain talent, you can see things are looking up.

A new challenge is going to be keeping talent and replacing talent that we lose. I am not saying we are going to lose a lot of guys, But I would say it will be hard to keep all of them. I wasn't expecting Incognito to play so well. I thought he would be just a one year player for us. Looks like we will want to re-sign him now too, which is just another person to add to our list for the offseason.

It will be pretty difficult to keep bradham, harvin, incognito, Glenn, etc know that we also have too look down the road in re-signing Gilmore and possibly a franchise QB.

A lot of it will depend on how much the cap goes up. If it goes up a good amount, then maybe with some creativity we can keep our stars mainly intact

I will always remain skeptical until I see consistency on the field. Too many ups in recent years were inevitably followed by disappointing downs. I'm encouraged so far, but reluctant to get too excited just yet.

I will always remain skeptical until I see consistency on the field. Too many ups in recent years were inevitably followed by disappointing downs. I'm encouraged so far, but reluctant to get too excited just yet.

You can't tell there's something different going on?

A new challenge is going to be keeping talent and replacing talent that we lose. I am not saying we are going to lose a lot of guys, But I would say it will be hard to keep all of them. I wasn't expecting Incognito to play so well. I thought he would be just a one year player for us. Looks like we will want to re-sign him now too, which is just another person to add to our list for the offseason.

It will be pretty difficult to keep bradham, harvin, incognito, Glenn, etc know that we also have too look down the road in re-signing Gilmore and possibly a franchise QB.

A lot of it will depend on how much the cap goes up. If it goes up a good amount, then maybe with some creativity we can keep our stars mainly intact

This is the tricky part!

Say we are going to lose guys- we are. Good teams lose a lot but let non-vital ones walk and replace them with productive, cheaper draft picks and only give the big bucks to true cornerstones.

It started with Buddy and it's being tied up nicely with Doug Whaley. This team has oodles of talent, we have a 2nd round pick as the AFC Defensive Rookie of the Month and a 5th round running back running lights out and a 3rd rounder as our starting RG. You can nit-pick all you want, but this team is better than it has been in a long, long, long time. Now with ownership that will actually pay to retain talent, you can see things are looking up.

The Truth! Whhooooooo!!!

I'm more concerned about losing Harvin, Incognito right now.

I don't even want to think about what happens if Tyrod Taylor becomes the next Russell Wilson play, and pay. http://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2015/3/18/8236345/tyrod-taylor-contract-details-buffalo-bills-qb-nfl-free-agency-2015

You can't tell there's something different going on?

Of course, but I've thought that before. I certainly think this is considerably more encouraging that any time in the last 15 years, but 15 years will do that to you. Daring to dream has just led to bitter disappointment and resignation, and I don't want to feel that all over again!

This can be done because the Bills have an awful lot of talent playing at a below market rate. Sammy Watkins, Roberts Woods, Tyrod Taylor, Cordy Glenn, Seantrel Henderson, John Miller, Preston Brown, Nigel Bradham, Ronald Darby are all below market rate.

Now we will end up losing 2-4 of these guys over the next 3 years. But with the great drafting we should be able to replace and even upgrade a few of these. Plus the fact that we will lose free agents puts us in the Patriots and Ravens model of getting comp picks free!

The only thing I hate is that there is one team that happens to be ahead of us that we need to find a way to pass while we have this cheap talent.

That's why the draft is so important...Good players cheap for 4-5 years

sorry to say it, but constructing a winning team never ends imo.

Why are you sorry to say that? It's a true statement.

didn't want to sound negative.

fixed it

Ok, I didn't take it that way. Whaley knows what he's doing and seems to have the freedom to do what he wants. He has a good staff and we are finally drafting well just like the Polian days.

Of course, but I've thought that before. I certainly think this is considerably more encouraging that any time in the last 15 years, but 15 years will do that to you. Daring to dream has just led to bitter disappointment and resignation, and I don't want to feel that all over again!

There is nothing similar to those situations and this one, starting at the top with ownership.

Meh -- what fun is that? Get excited while you can.