Credit where credit is due (Whaley)

finn

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Whaley has done a really great job. The whole time. I don't know why people have been unhappy with him at any point in time. I realize he couldn't get a QB before Tyrod, but you can't get a QB just cause he's the best of a crappy bunch. You need to continue to build (which Whaley did) then find a QB you like (Tyrod). I legitimately think we have one of the most talented teams in the NFL. I think credit needs to be given to Buddy Nix. He began assembling a strong core for this team and got some key building blocks for us. You can't make an elite team immediately and for that I think buddy is short-changed

Seems like Nix did a good job in turning around the drafting of the team. Outside of the Spiller draft in 2010 (which wasn't fully prepared by him) Buddy's drafts from 2011 to 2013 added a lot of solid talent to the team. Gilmore, Aaron Williams, Dareus, Glenn, Kiko, Searcy, Bradham, and Robert Woods were all added during Nix's drafts from 2011 to 2013. Of course there were busts like the 2010 class (which wasn't prepared by him) and EJ but after Nix got here the teams drafting improved greatly.

Edited by billsfan89

Yes he is, but how do you know there's no power left to be had? Are you employed in the Bills organization?

Who would get an earful from a sponsor? Would it not be somebody involved with marketing? Like Russ Brandon, or a subordinate of Brandon?

Why is it time to dispense with that storyline after you provide some weak counter-arguments.

I can assure you that there is no power struggle at OBD. They are all very much on the same page.

I agree with everything being stated about Whaley, first top level GM that's been here in quite awhile. This thread talks about how are we going to be able to re-sign all these players. Taking it another direction.

What about re-signing Whaley?? Read in another thread he's a FA after this year, GM contracts typically expire May 1st, but still less than a year away. Haven't heard anything about contract talks. Makes me a little nervous, does ne not want to be here, did the talk of bringing in an outside football guy annoy him to the point h wants to go elsewhere? Could he be pulling a John Butler and not signing an extension? On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being certain we're going to lose him, I'll put my fear level at around a 3 or 4, but as time goes on, that will go up if he doesn't sign. Or is it just a formality?? Or was the other post wrong about the contract expiring next year??

I wouldn't equate a lack of news with inaction.

I believe your arguments of surreptitious back-stabbing are the weak ones. More power than president?

Any whining member of the marketing team could have leaked the "rogue" comment to Tim Graham.

The most important people involved -- the Pegulas, Rex, Russ -- have done nothing but praise Whaley.

See here (but admittedly it could be both).

What's weak about leaking negative attacks on Whaley to the press? It happened, I'm not making it up.

And who has enough sway in the marketing department for Graham to use them as a source? Are there that many? Would Graham listen to a low-level employee?

Pegula may be in charge but there was no house-cleaning. Most of the whiny little girls from the Ralph era are still there. The team and coaching staff is better, but there is still plenty of left-over.

I can assure you that there is no power struggle at OBD. They are all very much on the same page.

Perhaps, but there were negative leaks to the press. Where there's smoke there's fire. It's not like there was friction last year before the season started between the old guard and the new guard.

No team is remotely close to the Patriots in terms of the personnel needed to effectively execute that game plan as the Pats did. I hope they try to dink and dunk on us. Rex won't let that crap happen again.

You're absolutely right about the Patriots quality (alas!) but it's still a blueprint for success against our D and other teams will try it until we prove we can eat them for brunch if they do.

What's weak about leaking negative attacks on Whaley to the press? It happened, I'm not making it up.

And who has enough sway in the marketing department for Graham to use them as a source? Are there that many? Would Graham listen to a low-level employee?

Pegula may be in charge but there was no house-cleaning. Most of the whiny little girls from the Ralph era are still there. The team and coaching staff is better, but there is still plenty of left-over.

Perhaps, but there were negative leaks to the press. Where there's smoke there's fire. It's not like there was friction last year before the season started between the old guard and the new guard.

There is no tension in the building currently. There really isn't a "new guard" in the building. There is a new coaching staff which was hired by the old guard. The same people that have power had power when RW owned the team.

Oh, please. I'm sure much of the marketing department doesn't give a hoot about football, and they're only concerned with "relationships" and making money through advertising. I'd bet any number of them were PISSED when Fred was cut, right as M&T announced a new campaign. Graham likely had his pick of "sources" for the #rogue comment. It doesn't mean schitt about the football operations or Whaley's standing.

Yes he is, but how do you know there's no power left to be had? Are you employed in the Bills organization?

Who would get an earful from a sponsor? Would it not be somebody involved with marketing? Like Russ Brandon, or a subordinate of Brandon?

Why is it time to dispense with that storyline after you provide some weak counter-arguments.

if some in the front office want him gone then common sense says its the people in the front office that want him gone that need to go

personally I do not believe the leaks theory. I believe it was pure media driven to try and conjure up a story that never existed and get the hits that such negativity brings from the can't look away crowd

I haven't been a big fan of Whaley, but I'm impressed by what he's done this past year. Some of the best-performing players on the roster were added this off-season. Our best wide receiver is Harvins; the best cornerback is Darby; the best offensive lineman is Incognito; the best running back is Karlos Williams; our best tight end is Clay; and of course the best quarterback is Taylor.

All of them are not only the best at their position on the Bills; they rank among the best in the league.

That's pretty good shooting!

While Whaley has made many great moves, don't underestimate the influence of Rex in the Harvin hire and Incognito hire and even Tyrod. These are all Rex's guys. At the same time, Rex did not bring in aged veterans like Landry.

While Whaley has made many great moves, don't underestimate the influence of Rex in the Harvin hire and Incognito hire and even Tyrod. These are all Rex's guys. At the same time, Rex did not bring in aged veterans like Landry.

Agreed. Not knocking Whaley, who has made some great personnel moves himself, but Richie, Tyrod and Percy were Rex ideas.

Agreed. Not knocking Whaley, who has made some great personnel moves himself, but Richie, Tyrod and Percy were Rex ideas.

You still have to have a GM and HC working in harmony.......which was a big problem at Rex last stop.

I think even if those players were not Rex picks....he still was involved in the decision to bring them in.....and there is no DOUBT that Whaley has been sharp on draft day.

You still have to have a GM and HC working in harmony.......which was a big problem at Rex last stop.

I think even if those players were not Rex picks....he still was involved in the decision to bring them in.....and there is no DOUBT that Whaley has been sharp on draft day.

To take it a step further I think that it was an issue with Whaley and the previous HC as well.

To take it a step further I think that it was an issue with Whaley and the previous HC as well.

Marone has taken a lot of criticism for the way he left the organization. I have no problem with his inglorious departure via the buyout clasue that was permissable within his contract. Marone didn't agree with a lot of what Whaley was doing regarding personnel. He had a different vision on how to build a roster. One way to look at the situation is that instead of contending with the conflict that existed and would continue to exist he left by his own volition.

There is no doubt that DM was acting in his own perceived interest. But he acted in the organization's interest (intentional or not) by not wanting to be in a situation he didn't want to be in. Is Rex a better HC than Marrone? That isn't the right question. He is a better HC for this organization than DM was because of his willingness to work with the staff instead of in conflict with the staff.

No HC and GM are going to agree on everything. They have different perspectives on their roles that can't always be reconciled. However, Rex knows how to work through conflicts and disagreement where because of his stubborn and inflexible personality DM wasn't able to manage differences of opinions.

Marone has taken a lot of criticism for the way he left the organization. I have no problem with his inglorious departure via the buyout clasue that was permissable within his contract. Marone didn't agree with a lot of what Whaley was doing regarding personnel. He had a different vision on how to build a roster. One way to look at the situation is that instead of contending with the conflict that existed and would continue to exist he left by his own volition.

There is no doubt that DM was acting in his own perceived interest. But he acted in the organization's interest (intentional or not) by not wanting to be in a situation he didn't want to be in. Is Rex a better HC than Marrone? That isn't the right question. He is a better HC for this organization than DM was because of his willingness to work with the staff instead of in conflict with the staff.

No HC and GM are going to agree on everything. They have different perspectives on their roles that can't always be reconciled. However, Rex knows how to work through conflicts and disagreement where because of his stubborn and inflexible personality DM wasn't able to manage differences of opinions.

Totally agree and this is a really good post John. Marrone is a good football coach IMO (just an insecure individual). His team was prepared and played a physical style. His personality was his problem.

I think Whaleys done a great job. For one he's aggressive and your gonna have some misses when your aggressive. Not many holes on this team and its the deepest its been in years. Most weapons we've had on offense since 1990.

Edited by Billsmovinup