Jeremy White: Bills vs. Dolphins All-22 Review

26CornerBlitz

Edit: Just rewatched it and I changed my mind. I was thinking he went and started blocking the CB that was covering McCoy. Great play there.

Shouldn't matter. He can't block on a passing play before the ball is caught. That was OPI

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't matter. He can't block on a passing play before the ball is caught. That was OPI

Perhaps by the letter of the rules, yes.

That said, Gronk blocks 8-10 yards downfield on at least 5 pass plays per game (before the ball is caught) and is never called...other teams should be doing the same.

Very true. In my mind, I imagine the refs see that as the CB also looking to make contact in the first 5 yards and knock the WR off their route versus going after a different CB and straight up blocking them.

When it happened, I was hoping there was no yellow on the field. I see teams doing this more and more. I wonder if the NFL is going to bring it up to the refs and if we'll see it called more frequently throughout the year. It's a fine line between a penalty and good play.

That said, Gronk blocks 8-10 yards downfield on at least 5 pass plays per game (before the ball is caught) and is never called...other teams should be doing the same.

Totally understand. It annoys the crap out of me when they* get away with it, and I can't be a hypocrite about my complaints.

Green Bay ran the same type of play near the goal line at least twice last night. Once there was a penalty called on the other time no penalty. The crew last night explained the rule as the WR cannot block before the ball is in the air. Rogers, like Brady, is getting the ball off very quickly. On McCoy's touchdown, I thought it was very close, with the block coming maybe just a fraction early. They got the benefit of the doubt on that play, but it has worked against them often enough, so I will take it.

It was definitely an illegal pick.

The league needs to decide whether it is going to enforce that rule or not. Because you're right, Green Bay was running picks all night and rarely getting called. New England runs it 18 times a game. It's not legal. Sometimes it's called, sometimes not. It's maddening.

It was definitely an illegal pick.

The league needs to decide whether it is going to enforce that rule or not. Because you're right, Green Bay was running picks all night and rarely getting called. New England runs it 18 times a game. It's not legal. Sometimes it's called, sometimes not. It's maddening.

I don't see Watkins contact with Shady's man at all unless you are telling me you think they were going to play a switch (in which case I think the DB on Watkins messed up because he was playing outside leverage). Watkins contacts his man after 5 yards in what could easily be a route. Yes this is a pick route. But it is not egregious at all.

I don't see Watkins contact with Shady's man at all unless you are telling me you think they were going to play a switch (in which case I think the DB on Watkins messed up because he was playing outside leverage). Watkins contacts his man after 5 yards in what could easily be a route. Yes this is a pick route. But it is not egregious at all.

I agree.

If anything, Watkins just shouldn't have extended his arms-- that typically prevents it from being called.

Malarkey. If this had been Edleman and Gronkowski you'd be pitching ten fits. And you'd be right.

Malarkey. If this had been Edleman and Gronkowski you'd be pitching ten fits. And you'd be right.

Have you Edelman/Gronk picks? They force contact with the DB. This DB takes a longer path to make a play on the ball because of Sammy's route, but he is not contacted. This was just poor coverage on a pick play. But this pick was not egregious at all.

If this were Edelman/Gronk I would be pissed our coverage was playing so far off. Oh wait I am pissed at our coverage in that game.

EDIT: Also if you think this should be flagged then I don't know what to do about any crossing routes. The nature of having all the route runners start on one side and try to get open in 2-4 seconds is that they will cross paths and be in clos proximity to each other.

Edited by YattaOkasan

When I saw it live I thought for sure it was a pick, but looking at the gif I can see why they didn't call it. That was Watkins guy and if you look at the DB he's trying to jam Watkins and gets in his way. There was never a pick and if anything it looks like Watkins couldn't get away from the DB, even though he's clearly not the intended receiver.

Ladies and Gentlemen.....Greg Roman! clap.gif

I'll third that

Patriots 63 holds every snap, I mean every snap. can we do that too?

I became aware of Roman's offense the day the 49ers shellacked the Bills in 2012. I know their roster was better than ours and our defense was far from great but I felt we had no defensive answers to counter what they were doing on offense.

I might be wrong about this, but I feel with Roman we will beat the not so great teams with good scheming and playcalling alone, regardless of individual performance.

I don't want to take anything away from Taylor, who was amazing against the Phins, but Roman's gameplan in how to attack the Dolphins was flawless.

E Wood has received a lot of flack recently. Some Deserved. He was fantastic on Sunday, especially on some of the big plays. Check out the first touchdown on Clay's catch and run. Wood knocked 3 players off balance on the play, including Pro Bowlers Suh and Wake. This may have been his best, but you see several big time blocks on game changing plays in the all 22.