Gilmore on Gronkowski

Agent 91

Just an honest question. What about that matchup leads people to believe that this is the ideal pairing. Wouldnt it be better to put Lawson who has proven that he can stay with smaller faster guys while nullifying Gronkowskis length and coming in a mere 20-25 pounds lighter. I think a second option would be Bradham. I just dont think I like the idea of safeties and certainly cbs matched up with the big guy.

Any ideas would be greatly welcomed.

Edited by Agent 91

The Bills will mix up coverages on Gronk. This has been Rex's pattern. The primary question is who covers him in the red zone?

Straight double; no disguise.

Lawson + Graham

Most likely means that NE**** will run the ball, as they typically like to do, but that's fine with me.

The Patriot's use a Tight End cloaking device. The reason it is so effective is it only works on Defensive players. Everyone one else can see them. I think Gilmore is unaware of this.

This conclusion was developed in the late 90's when Ben Coates went consistantly uncovered during Bill's games. NE has a tendency to over use it when they are close to the goal line.

Gilmore is big, physical, and corners tend to really do well on tight ends despite fans fearing the size issue.

I recall in the jimmy graham tag discussion that when covered by a corner his targets dropped, when targeted his catch percentage dropped 5-10% (or something similar), his ypc dropped. He essentially went from elite passing stats against anyone but a corner to his comp being like the 63rd best receiving threat against a CB. (63 being made up but it was in that bad 2 to good 3 range, if I recall)

Part of the "you don't pay a tight end like a wr" argument was that their numbers go down pretty noticeably if a defense ever commits to using a corner on them while a Dez or Johnson or... puts up those top numbers against the top pass defender. In the graham data it was even small corners like grimes that did fine against him.

I wouldn't do it alllll day but in multiple TE sets, sure thing I am.

Edited by NoSaint

If the Bills force the Pats into going to Chandler and Amandola, that would be a step. They can play, but they're ordinary good players, not the breakout/YAC monsters that Gronk and Edelman are.

true, I'm thinking more of right there in the end zone with Chandler. Like last week he had the 1yd TD.

If the Bills force the Pats into going to Chandler and Amandola, that would be a step. They can play, but they're ordinary good players, not the breakout/YAC monsters that Gronk and Edelman are.

Yea - manny against chandler, Darby/Robey against Edelman/amendola and Gilmore picking up gronk is my ideal. In a 2 TE 2 wr set.

i assume they will have Chandler out there at the same time in the red zone... What do you do with both?

In the RZ, I have no problem playing Aaron on Chandler. If Brady**** has enough time to throw a jump ball to ScoChan, something's wrong.

Yea - manny against chandler, Darby/Robey against Edelman/amendola and Gilmore picking up gronk is my ideal. In a 2 TE 2 wr set.

My only worry there is that NE**** will run the ball to the edge, where Gronk will be able to seal against Gilmore

In the RZ, I have no problem playing Aaron on Chandler. If Brady**** has enough time to throw a jump ball to ScoChan, something's wrong.

My only worry there is that NE**** will run the ball to the edge, where Gronk will be able to seal against Gilmore

To the first part, I'm pretty sure chandlers feet never leave the ground when he jumps, so we have that going for us.

To the second, obviously down, distance and formation all play a role but we do have safety and linebacker help running in that setup, and our line should help disrupt the running game too.

Because Gilmore is our best physical pass defender and Gronkowski is their game breaking weapon that I want to take away. Belichick did it very effectively using Talib on Jimmy Graham and that is kind of the template for what I would do.

It wasn't even just talib- several teams went that way and graham struggled.

Physical? Since when did holding jerseys and avoiding tackles become physical?

Rose coloured glasses for sure.

Gilmore is in year 4. He is there, making the plays that are asked of him. Nothing more, nothing less.

You can't be talking about Gilmore

Have you watched his first 3 years?

Again, he is there doing his job. He gets beat sometimes and breaks up plays the other times. Im not knocking him. Its just funny to see the rose coloured glasses.

Save this thread please. He will not make a probowl. If so, I will eat crow.

Gilmore getting schooled by Watkins:

Gilmore is in year 4. He is there, making the plays that are asked of him. Nothing more, nothing less.

:lol: You clearly didn't watch the last quarter of the '14 season where Gilmore was arguably a top 3 CB in the NFL. And his performance against the Colts was outstanding, all pro type performance. To say so isn't wearing rose colored glasses, it's just reality.

I want to thank Fredex22 for voicing his opinion on Gilmore here. I'll add him to the list.

What list you ask? The list of posters here who are fans of the game but clearly don't know the game very well. Because anyone that knows football well knows Gilmore is a very good talent.

Edited by JM57

Sorry JM57

:lol: You clearly didn't watch the last quarter of the '14 season where Gilmore was arguably a top 3 CB in the NFL. And his performance against the Colts was outstanding, all pro type performance. To say so isn't wearing rose colored glasses, it's just reality.

So you sayin that being a 10th overall pick and in the last quarter of his 3rd year he was a top CB in the league. To me that is just doing his job.

JM57, thank you for putting me on that meaningless list of yours and keep on rockin in the free world. ( BTW, when will I see you on the sidelines? )

The two most important players on the Gronk factor tomorrow

- Manny Lawson.....many is the only bills player on our team that has both coverage ability AND has the size in order to affect Gronk.....he should be involved all day in bracketing Gronk has he comes off the line wherever he is at.

- Marcel D. .......while our DE's will no doubt create pressure from the outside......Brady will then want to slightly climb the pocket to buy a couple of precious seconds keeping his eyes downfield. When he does this he needs to run right into Marcel and his loving grasp. Brady needs to be made to be REALLY uncomfortable in the pocket forcing him to get rid of the ball fast....which means short throws....which we need to make sure we are surely tackled with no run after catch OR knock the ball away OR create the turnover

And then we need our DL to shut down their running game

THis is when they even have the ball which we should ensure they dont by long time consuming drives with points at the end of those drives.

Methinks you need to learn more football.....so that you can understand what you are watching.

Gilmore is a EXTREMEY physical corner.....aside from that dropped int last week he played exactly how you would want from a pro bowl corner

Edited by John from Hemet

Then uses practice to make his case lol. Ive never seen Gilmore avoid making a tackle. That's one of my favorite things about him. He will come up and tag someone in run support

I used one video that I saw awhile ago. Gilmore has been notorious for holding penalties and missing some easy plays. At the same time he has made some good plays.

Can you read? He is just doing what is expected of him. Nothing close of a Revis or Sherman.

I used one video that I saw awhile ago. Gilmore has been notorious for holding penalties and missing some easy plays. At the same time he has made some good plays.

Can you read? He is just doing what is expected of him. Nothing close of a Revis or Sherman.

"Can you read?" Yea I read the nonsense you posted, that's why I responded. Gilmore is absolutely a physical corner.

That isn't really up for debate. Physical football players generally get called for penalties more than others, it's something he's had to adjust to

coming out of college where corners are allowed to be a little more physical.

"Can you read?" Yea I read the nonsense you posted, that's why I responded. Gilmore is absolutely a physical corner.

That isn't really up for debate. Physical football players generally get called for penalties more than others, it's something he's had to adjust to

coming out of college where corners are allowed to be a little more physical.

No, no, don't you get it. He's just "doing his job" since he was picked at 10. :lol::lol:

Have you watched his first 3 years?

Again, he is there doing his job. He gets beat sometimes and breaks up plays the other times. Im not knocking him. Its just funny to see the rose coloured glasses.

Save this thread please. He will not make a probowl. If so, I will eat crow.

Gilmore getting schooled by Watkins:

Yeah, no way is Gilmore physical enough for Gronk...

http://m.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Stephon-Gilmore-breaks-up-long-pass-to-Gronkowski/7301efd9-a9dc-4bde-8c93-fc3b90616a25

Not one person in here said anything close to this

Oh well, to each there own. I think hes ok, that is about it. Hopefully this year, he will change my mind.

Lets talk about this topic after the game. I will be around and if he has a good game, the Bills have a good chance of winning.

Edited by fredex22

You're on a roll in this thread, it's a silly stance to make but I'll ask a followup:

What would Gilmore need to do on the field to play better? Give me specifics.

Actually......I would like to see more interceptions.

It does not take away from the fact that Gilmore is a VERY good corner.....but if he could come up with a few picks that would probably get him in the pro bow