"Conservative" play calling in the second half last week

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

**Patriots are expected to crowd the LOS in an effort to stop the run. Now we'll see what we have in TT. He is going to need to drop some deep passes in there to back them off. We know we have the skill players. Now we just need to get the ball to them. Last week was run to set up the pass. This week it should be pass to set up the run.

@SalSports

Greg Roman said the Bills used 15-17% of their game plan last week because they were up all game and special teams kept them in great spots

This is interesting.

I guess maybe it was during the first drive during the 4th quarter that I got nervous that we were getting too conservative. After all, I reasoned, they have Andrew Luck, one of the best QBs in the NFL who has led 4th quarter comebacks in the past against other teams.

I told my wife, "I hope we don't run every play."

But as the clock ticked, I embraced the running.

Because we were conservative, the scoreboard didn't indicate how lopsided the game actually looked. Buffalo was clearly the better team on that Sunday in all 3 aspects of the game.

Edited by hondo in seattle

**Patriots are expected to crowd the LOS in an effort to stop the run. Now we'll see what we have in TT. He is going to need to drop some deep passes in there to back them off. We know we have the skill players. Now we just need to get the ball to them. Last week was run to set up the pass. This week it should be pass to set up the run.

I actually expect the same game plan from the Pats as Indy. Stop McCoy with Run Blitz and Double Sammy. Maybe they'll disguise their coverage more but I don't know how the Pats can do anything more than that. Their defense looked really bad against Pitt.

While I'm okay with running out the clock, all this talk about not showing more of the playbook seems off. They could re-run plays from the 1st half that were aggressive, without exposing more of the playbook. And while I'm sure there are lot's of wrinkles needed in a gameplan, every play doesn't need to be a mysterious new invention to be effective. It's much more about execution.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I wanted only 3 things last game in the second half:

1. Felton running. Put it on film. Make teams study it.

2. Felton play action to block. Again. Make teams study it.

3. Dixon catching basic wheel routes. ...study it.

I wanted us to show a look of aggressiveness but play conservative to really shake up the film.

Ground and Confound?

Think about it, it'd work well.

If we did play action passes with Felton in the mix but used him as a blocker and as a target out of a two back set it could be good to throw off game planning. How many years have we waited until the end of the season or waited until games were a blow out in the last game or two only to find out we could get something out of using the FB as more then a blocker? I remember Sam Gash was a great change up man, teams had no answer to his 1 or 2 passes catches in the games we called his number. Same with him running.

Let Felton play a few positions. Roman is a smart guy and I hoped he would have sat there and realized what he could and could not do against the Patriots. So, why not try a few formations to mix it up. Lets show teams we could do anything on the field and they better prepare. As long as we are a Rex Ryan team we will be feared for the unpredictable.

Think about it, it'd work well.

If we did play action passes with Felton in the mix but used him as a blocker and as a target out of a two back set it could be good to throw off game planning. How many years have we waited until the end of the season or waited until games were a blow out in the last game or two only to find out we could get something out of using the FB as more then a blocker? I remember Sam Gash was a great change up man, teams had no answer to his 1 or 2 passes catches in the games we called his number. Same with him running.

Let Felton play a few positions. Roman is a smart guy and I hoped he would have sat there and realized what he could and could not do against the Patriots. So, why not try a few formations to mix it up. Lets show teams we could do anything on the field and they better prepare. As long as we are a Rex Ryan team we will be feared for the unpredictable.

I agree that this is a great strategy, especially early in the year. I remember hearing a color commentator in one of the pre-season games talking about how teams often run trick plays like reverses and things like that, late in the pre-season and early in the season, just to "get it on film" and give seasonal opponents other things to prepare for.

Agreed. How many times have you seen the Sabres, even when they were good, enter the third period with a lead, go into a defensive shell, and lose the lead. When you put yourself too soon into a situation where you give the opposition offensive impetus, confidence, and drive, and your defense gets worn down, you're asking for trouble, especially against a good team. Remember the Oilers against the Bills?

Every game in the 1998 and 1999 playoffs. "Hasek will save us."

**Patriots are expected to crowd the LOS in an effort to stop the run. Now we'll see what we have in TT.

You might also say, "now we'll see what we have in our offensive line."

There was 5:26 remaining in the 3rd Quarter when they scored that touchdown.

The 5:26 was the amount of time the Bills took for their scoring drive at the beginning of the 3rd quarter. The Colts first possession of the 3rd started at 9:34 and ended with only 54 seconds left in the 3rd. For the Colts first drive of the 3rd quarter I think Rex made sure the Colts had to work their way down the field slowly. He wanted to make sure the Bills didn't give up chunks of yardage effectively making the Colts chew up the clock.

Agreed. How many times have you seen the Sabres, even when they were good, enter the third period with a lead, go into a defensive shell, and lose the lead. When you put yourself too soon into a situation where you give the opposition offensive impetus, confidence, and drive, and your defense gets worn down, you're asking for trouble, especially against a good team. Remember the Oilers against the Bills?

Hockey and American Football are two different sports. The scoring drive for for the Colts in the 3 qtr...took the rest of the 3rd quarter. It was a smart way to go. The last thing you want is to turn the game into a shootout with Luck.

Edited by jeremy2020

I'm not so sure. The Colts drive immediately after our last touchdown took 8+ minutes; it was close to the end of the third quarter already.

Granted, I was a little nervous after Luck's easy touchdown and conversion for two.

That 2 point conversion play was disgusting... We are going to see a lot of those plays this week...