Sabres and NHL 2015-16

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

simply put, you are wrong and as Tom would say an Idiot to boot!

how in the world where you drink your booze is more important than how much booze you drink is beyond me. It is, quite frankly, beyond common sense. You are either too drunk to drive or you are not.

I don't give a rats behind if you drank with your priest as you were discussing world peace..over the limit is over the limit.

In short, i could not care less where you drank the booze, only that you drank too much and put others at risk.

How you can argue with that outside of appearances is beyond me.

Go Sabres

1. I've never said a single thing about "where anyone drank their booze.".

2. I never said a single thing about "how much booze anyone drank."

3. I never said a single thing about the relationship between "where you drink your booze being important than how much booze you drink"

My entire point since your first post is that societal norms on drinking and driving have changed dramatically since 1974. For whatever reason, you're having a hard time getting that - which is just as ridiculous as the strawmen you put in the post I'm currently responding to.

But you go ahead and be offended by something that happened over 40 years ago, while calling someone else an idiot. Good for you.

Ironically, I believe he drove into a Tim Hortons

Did he really?

Was his ride a De Tomaso Pantera?

http://www.sportscarshop.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/1974-De-Tomaso-Pantera-Lusso049.jpg

What is it with hockey players crashing and burning their exotic cars? A few come to mind:

Pelle Lindbergh (Porsche 930 Turbo):

http://bestcarmag.com/sites/default/files/3989200porsche-930-04-550ca773d1d81.jpg

Dany Heatley (Ferrari 360 Modena):

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6d/Ferrari_F360_Modena_-_Flickr_-_The_Car_Spy_(20).jpg

Even Jonathan Toews at one time crashed his AMG Mercedes into the Ell on Wabash in Chicago:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--Tp86snbJ--/17ef6l536hil3jpg.jpg

The trend seems to live on: 1974, 1985, 2003, and 2012... Was there a crash and burn in the 1990's? Yeah, but that was the 1997 Red Wings limo crash, can't fault them for being responsible! :wallbash:

Great. Another guy who drove drunk.

People make mistakes. You never did anything dumb that you regret in your early 20's?

I know I did.

It doesn't make him a bad person. It just means he made a foolish decision.

He seems like the type of guy that learns from mistakes and holds himself accountable.

1. I've never said a single thing about "where anyone drank their booze.".

2. I never said a single thing about "how much booze anyone drank."

3. I never said a single thing about the relationship between "where you drink your booze being important than how much booze you drink"

My entire point since your first post is that societal norms on drinking and driving have changed dramatically since 1974. For whatever reason, you're having a hard time getting that - which is just as ridiculous as the strawmen you put in the post I'm currently responding to.

But you go ahead and be offended by something that happened over 40 years ago, while calling someone else an idiot. Good for you.

my apologies as I misunderstood your post and thoughts. My mistake. I was wrong last night and will admit my reading comprehension was off with a few too many at the bar. On the bright side, I did walk home!

That being said, I do agree norms have changed since the 70's. But I also never remember a time where it was okay to drive drunk.

Again, my apologies for not understanding your argument, as I said I thought it a good discussion point.

Edited by plenzmd1

my apologies as I misunderstood your post and thoughts. My mistake. I was wrong last night and will admit my reading comprehension was off with a few too many at the bar. On the bright side, I did walk home!

That being said, I do agree norms have changed since the 70's. But I also never remember a time where it was okay to drive drunk.[/b\

Again, my apologies for not understanding your argument, as I said I thought it a good discussion point.

Societal attitudes toward drinking and (domestic abuse) have dramatically changed since the period of time of the Horton crash forty years ago. Your point out that there was never a time where drinking drunk was acceptable. That isn't an accurate reflection of the time. During that Horton era people did drink and drive but had the false perception that they weren't drunk when in reality they were impaired.i.e. in the category of being drunk.

Someone gave the example of the Russerts loading a case of beer into their car before taking a trip to Cleveland for a baseball game. They thought nothing of it. I guarantee you that if the driver would have been stopped by the police on the way back home (guarantee it they were drinking going to the game, at the game and back from the game) the driver would have been deemed driving drunk.

The simple point that many are making against your strict standard towards Horton and his accident is that the general standard of what was acceptable or not with respect to driving and drinking was different at that time. No one is saying that what Horton did was right or wrong or smart.

Edited by JohnC

i get what AD and EEI are saying, but i i respectfully disagree. I started driving in 79, so not that much after this accident...and driving drunk was driving drunk. Not saying i never did it, i did. But i never went 110MPH. Again, just brought it up for to see what others felt, think its an interesting discussion.

and you may think this is some crazy contradiction or being the ultimate hypocrite...but i have no problem, and i mean zero, with drinking in the car as the Russerts did. Not where you drink the booze that matters, its how much you drink in my mind! I have a roady plenty of times, but it is one or two. Can't understand the difference if i had it in the bar or my home as opposed to my car seat.

So, we'll say that it was different for you & perhaps your family. My own experience was much, much different. I'm not proud to say that I am extremely lucky to be alive. The times were different from law enforcement too. Friend and I were driving home after a full night/morning of drinking, probably Sunset Bay. Cop pulls us over and we talked our way out of him getting a ticket. He allowed ME to drive the car. You remember those times much differently than I lived them. Not proud, but, the truth.

So, we'll say that it was different for you & perhaps your family. My own experience was much, much different. I'm not proud to say that I am extremely lucky to be alive. The times were different from law enforcement too. Friend and I were driving home after a full night/morning of drinking, probably Sunset Bay. Cop pulls us over and we talked our way out of him getting a ticket. He allowed ME to drive the car. You remember those times much differently than I lived them. Not proud, but, the truth.

Yup. A cop helped push our car to the gas station when we ran out of gas at 3AM after a night out.

Sorry for taking this thread off kilter.

From the sounds of things, looks like I did not miss much last night. Man, even the players said it was boring.

The New Jersey Devils are the most boring sports franchise ever. They almost made me turn off the game just by existing. Even when they were winning cups they were hard to watch.

Sorry for taking this thread off kilter.

From the sounds of things, looks like I did not miss much last night. Man, even the players said it was boring.

It was excruciating and grusome to watch. The Devils more than any other team play a brand of hockey that suffocates the game. There is no flow to the game and few serious scoring opportunities materialized. Not only is it joyless to watch on TV it also sedates the fans in the arena creating a very sterile environment.

It was excruciating and grusome to watch. The Devils more than any other team play a brand of hockey that suffocates the game. There is no flow to the game and few serious scoring opportunities materialized. Not only is it joyless to watch on TV it also sedates the fans in the arena creating a very sterile environment.

And it's still happening even after Lou left. Hopefully it's just a a few remnants left from his days and the product will change over the next few years.

And it's still happening even after Lou left. Hopefully it's just a a few remnants left from his days and the product will change over the next few years.

The Devils are in a rebuilding mode. When your team lacks talent your team then lacks the ability to make plays. The only way that you can compete in that type of circumstance is play a very tight and limited type of game. We went through the same grueling process over the last two years. So I am sympathetic to their plight.

It was the perfect setting in the arena to catch up with a friend we haven't seen in ages. 14 combined shots through 30 minutes!!!

People make mistakes. You never did anything dumb that you regret in your early 20's?

I know I did.

It doesn't make him a bad person. It just means he made a foolish decision.

He seems like the type of guy that learns from mistakes and holds himself accountable.

I meant it as a joke. We're in the middle of this Tim Horton drunk driving debate, and somebody brings up the guy who drove drunk into a Tim Hortons!