Sabres and NHL 2015-16

26CornerBlitz

Murray referenced interest in a pending College UFA who is still playing in this year's Frozen Four Tournament and reading between the lines I believe it's Caggiula.

He wouldn't mention his name for obvious reasons, but I think it was him as well...

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm aware that Stamkos is one of the best players in the league. However, I'm against signing him. A player of his caliber is not only going to have a rich contract but also a lengthy contract in the 5-7 year range. During that period of time Eichel, Reinhart and Risto will be in position to command exorbitant but worthy contracts. A Stamkos contract added to an already rich O'Reilly contract (well worth the $$) will consume so much of the cap that therer will be little financial flexibility left to deal with the emerging young talent and will also hinder the team in adding more solid players to the roster.

What I would rather see the organization do is use the Stamkos dedicated money and add two or three very good players to bolster the roster in general. That would enable this team to absorb the usual amount of injuries incurred during the season. This team still needs to add more talent to the roster in order to take the next step forward.

Disagree.

Eichel, Stamkos, O'Reily, Reinhart, Risto and one More great D....thats your core, fill in the rest.

That call can go either way and often does depending on the initial call on the ice. Didn't see anyone on here complaining about Foligno doing his best Duncan Keith impression on the face of Grabner?

I did not see that. I know the play you are talking about..but it was out of the camera angle...do you a link?

Disagree.

Eichel, Stamkos, O'Reily, Reinhart, Risto and one More great D....thats your core, fill in the rest.

I did not see that. I know the play you are talking about..but it was out of the camera angle...do you a link?

They showed the replay during the game so it must be out there somewhere, but I haven't really looked.

Disagree.

I respectfully but strenuously disagree with you on the Stamkos vs adding more players proposition.

You left out Kane as a core player. He still needs to modify his game from being less individualistic to blending in better and being more cohesive with his line mates. But in my mind he is a 30 goal scorer in this league.

Edited by JohnC

hb9K6ARm_200x200.jpgVS. nty859n6_200x200.jpg

cut.jpg

SABRES (32-35-11) at RANGERS (43-25-9)

SAT APR 2, 2016 @ 7:00 PM ET

TV: MSG-B/BELL TV

NHL.com Game Preview: Rangers aim to get back in win column vs. Sabres - New York has lost two straight with Stanley Cup Playoff berth in sight

Season series: The New York Rangers have defeated the Buffalo Sabres in each of their previous two games. The Rangers won 6-3 at Madison Square Garden on Jan. 25 and 4-2 at First Niagara Center on March 8. Derick Brassard has three goals and four assists, Mats Zuccarello has two goals and two assists, and Jesper Fast has a goal and two assists for the Rangers. Zemgus Girgensons has two goals and Jack Eichel had three assists for the Sabres.

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 341)

Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (blood clot, Oct. 8; injured reserve) – 78 games
Tyler Ennis (upper body, Dec. 31; injured reserve) – 41 games
Cody Franson (neck, Feb. 21) – 19 games
Jason Kasdorf (lower body, March 16) – 8 games
Robin Lehner (ankle, March 18) – 7 games
Evander Kane (upper body, March 29) – 2 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
N/A

UPCOMING GAMES
Tuesday, April 5: Buffalo at New Jersey, 7 p.m.
Friday, April 8: Columbus at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, April 9: Buffalo at NY Islanders, 7:30 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME

SABRES at RANGERS
This is the third and final meeting between the Sabres and Rangers this season.
Last meeting: New York defeated Buffalo, 4-2, in Buffalo on March 8
The Sabres are 1-9-0 in their last 10 games vs. the Rangers; 3-4-3 on the road.
This is the 174th game all-time between Buffalo and New York; Buffalo has a 78-62-33 series record.
The Sabres are 31-34-20 on the road against the Rangers all-time.

@BuffaloSabres

1f3a5.png@duffersabres gives you a little preview of what to expect in the next #BeyondBlueAndGold: http://bufsabres.co/5WIcmp

Ce_MKOeXIAAV0SA.jpg

Foligno praised for "best all-around game" by Coach Bylsma. Find out what he's doing so well http://bufsabres.co/0QDvzC

Ce_NnbrW4AAKDz3.jpg

Jason Kasdorf practiced with the team today & is feeling good. 1f3a5.png His post-practice comments: http://bufsabres.co/16KxSM

Ce_cseAWwAAhz4X.jpg
Coach Bylsma provides injury & other updates ahead of our game against NYR tomorrow: http://bufsabres.co/EqRrXr
Ce_mJUkUkAEp2E4.jpg
@NYRangers

VIDEO: #NYR @HLundqvist30 takes a look ahead to tomorrow's game against the Sabres: http://nyrange.rs/1RS1l9T

VIDEO: #NYR d-men Kevin Klein & Keith Yandle speak after practice today: http://nyrange.rs/1oqoJ0f

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Back when their were only 2 Canadian teams, Montreal and Toronto. The story on how Montreal lost out on a tie breaker for the last playoff story is pretty interesting. I just found it on wikipedia. I know how people love that site, but I'll trust the info.

1970 would have had 3 Canadian teams, right. Both BFLo & Vancouver came into the The League in 1970... So:

MTL

TOR &

VAN

Thanks for all the info! &... Doc for pulling that stat.

From that wiki page:

The Rangers and Red Wings were scheduled to play a nationally televised 2 pm ET Sunday match at Madison Square Garden. Roy Edwards was supposed to have been Detroit's starting goaltender, but his "headaches and chest pains" forced coach Sid Abel to press Roger Crozier back into service for the second time in 18 hours. The Rangers peppered Crozier with a franchise-record 65 shots on goal en route to a 9–5 triumph and a four-goal lead over Montreal. New York coach Emile Francis even replaced his goalie Eddie Giacomin with an extra attacker when the score reached 9–3, but it only resulted in a pair of empty-net goals for the Red Wings.[2]

65 shots on Crozier?!? I don't think his lack or rest was the problem!

I respectfully but strenuously disagree with you on the Stamkos vs adding more players proposition.

You left out Kane as a core player. He still needs to modify his game from being less individualistic to blending in better and being more cohesive with his line mates. But in my mind he is a 30 goal scorer in this league.

Look at the Chicago model..Kane is good player, but don't think he is "core" . Think Buefuflyn(sp) ..that dude was a beast of their first cup team...gone that summer.

1970 would have had 3 Canadian teams, right. Both BFLo & Vancouver came into the The League in 1970... So:

MTL

TOR &

VAN

I would hope so. Took me a long time to find!

no not really, I just looked earlier in this thread

MTL

TOR &

VAN

If only I had included a link that explained the whole thing...

MTL

TOR &

VAN

Wrote Montreal-based NHL.com historian Dave Stubbs: “Teams from this country clearly didn’t bring their Eh-game.”

Look at the Chicago model..Kane is good player, but don't think he is "core" . Think Buefuflyn(sp) ..that dude was a beast of their first cup team...gone that summer.

I have a different model for you: the Boston Bruins. They had four good lines when they won the cup. The advantage of having a more well rounded roster is that when the inevitable injury factor comes into play the team will be in a better position to absorb the injuries with a more well rounded roster compared to a thinner roster.

The Sabres are in a good cap situation next year to handle a bountiful contract that Stamkos would call for. But that isn't the problem as I see it. He is the type of elite player who would require a seven year contract. The Sabres will not be cup challengers for the next two to three years. When we get in that position down the line Risto, Eichel and Reinhart will also be at the point where they will also require gilded contracts. Add those contracts to the O'Reilly contract then we will be in a tight cap situation where more players will have to be released than if we didn't have the burden of a Stamkos type contract.

I'm not going to lament the signing of Stamkos if that materializes. If Murray wants to sign him then I trust his judgment. But my point is simply that there are a variety of ways of building a roster. There are going to be some very good young scoring forwards available through trade because of cap issues for other teams. My preference is adding two or three good players rather than one star player.