Sabres and NHL 2015-16

26CornerBlitz

I could care less about any bobbleheads and junk like that - but they do have to get the bathroom situation fixed. I thought it was just my bad luck that I'm always grabbing for empty paper towels.

I'm with you and TheBug here. I really wanted a top 5 pick this year. Now our only chance for that is to win the lottery.

Stamkos out with blood clot. How does this now fit into our plans? I don't know anything about blood clots. I think Chris Bosh got them again this year, though:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/15121487/steven-stamkos-tampa-bay-lightning-surgery-blood-clot-right-collarbone-miss-1-3-months

They can be very serious. My dad had a nasty one in his leg.

Ask Cody McCormick about them, he hasn't played since he got his.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stamkos out with blood clot. How does this now fit into our plans? I don't know anything about blood clots. I think Chris Bosh got them again this year, though:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/15121487/steven-stamkos-tampa-bay-lightning-surgery-blood-clot-right-collarbone-miss-1-3-months

Shouldn't change anything, there's a handful of athletes that had them. One of the more notables was Serena Williams who had a more serious clot in her lungs years ago IIRC. It does screw the Lightning heading in to the playoffs though.

The tanking talk is just silly. I've love to hear how you plan to get rid of Reinhart, Eichel, O'Reilly, Ristolainen, etc. for the last month of the season.

Was that a blood clot Serena had? I remember it all started with her stepping on broken glass.

I'm not for tanking - I just would like to see them lose meaningless games. I do the same thing for the Bills every year.

Hogwash!

You want to get rid of the cancer? Add more talent. Winning is not carried over to the next season....talent is.

How appealing do you think a perennially losing team is to free agents? Do you think that a player of the caliber of Kessler who had a no-trade clause in his contract with Toronto and waived it to go to the Penguins last year would have done it for a team such as Buffalo that had little chance to be a contender?

The Sabres have been going through a planned tank job for two consecutive years where in reality they were putting a mediocre AHL type team on the ice. There comes a point where you have to take the next step forward and move up the ranks and win some games.

Our GM made a trade with Colorado for O'Reilly. Do you think he would have signed a long term deal with the Sabres if he didn't believe that they were on the verge of being a serious team?

Edmonton has had a lot of top of the draft selections for the past number of years. They are again in a good position to get one of the top two picks. Where has it gotten them?

The Sabres are probably going to be in the draft position range of 8-12. They should be able to select a good prospect who will take some time to develop. That is the usual way of developing your own players. I have no problem with that. In addition, there are players on the team who are trying to earn and solidify their position on the roster. I don't think they have an interest in being involved in another contrived fade.

This team is not going to make the playoffs this year yet it is finishing strong. I'm all for it!

that is so cool!

Seeing how Hudson is on a goal per game pace, just give him the the 2017 Calder! :lol::worthy:

sounds good :D

Too bad they couldn't win only 10 more games like this one goal win... That's all it would have taken... Just 10 games, 10 one goal losses converted to 10 one goal wins... They would be @ almost a 100 points for the season.

10 games... Only 10 games out of the many goal losses they had this year.

Which leads me to... How can the Oilers still be in position for another chance @ pick one or two! They should have to forfeit another crack @ it with all their #1's!!!

It has to be coaching and goaltending.

I hope BFLo works on stabilizing the situation between the pipes... Shore that up and they are headed in right direction.

Coaching... I still think it is +70% of the hockey equation (over talent). I am not worried about our general coaching... I am worried losing Irbe as the netminder coach, that was such a strong suit we had for years...

Shows that there is something wrong with their owners and whole management (Edmonton)

Yes. Losing is a cancer and once you have it it is very difficult to get rid of it. It's easy to see the transformation already beginning.

We're still in the lottery, so having a few more balls in the jar isn't nearly as important as this core moving forward with confidence in each other.

:thumbsup:

Ottawa has plenty of talent. What they don't have is leadership.

I love having conversations with people like you. You like to pretend that there's a "one size fits all" to winning. "Just have more talent". At best it's overly simplistic.

There is a recipe to winning and talent is certainly a part of it. But there's a reason teams are constructed with a certain number of role players with very specific skill sets and generally aren't considered "talented." Part of the recipe is learning how to win, which is something the BILLS have struggled with for the last decade and a half.

Not saying there is a "one size fits all" to winning. I am saying a couple more losses this year could be more beneficial than a couple of more wins. They can learn to win next year just as well.

Edited by thebug

Not saying there is a "one size fits all" to winning. I am saying a couple more losses this year could be more beneficial than a couple of more wins. They can learn to win next year just as well.

There are three games left. The losses would mean next to nothing at this point. They cannot drop any further in the standings than they are right now. They're tied with Arizona, one point behind Montreal, and 4 behind Ottawa. Those are the only positions in play at this point (ok, if I'm including Ottawa, I should also include the longshot possibility of Calgary making up their 5 point gap). So really at this point, a couple wins probably bumps them up one slot in the draft.

There are three games left. The losses would mean next to nothing at this point. They cannot drop any further in the standings than they are right now. They're tied with Arizona, one point behind Montreal, and 4 behind Ottawa. Those are the only positions in play at this point (ok, if I'm including Ottawa, I should also include the longshot possibility of Calgary making up their 5 point gap). So really at this point, a couple wins probably bumps them up one slot in the draft.

I'm talking about the last 10 or so. Meaningless wins against the Marlies etc etc......

I'm talking about the last 10 or so. Meaningless wins against the Marlies etc etc......

We can't let those Marlies think they have a chance of beating us in the future. They need to know their role very early in their careers.

Who do you want to see miss the playoffs more...Philly or Boston. Kinda like picking a way to die, there is no good answer.

I am hoping Philly misses actually. They will continue to try and middle no matter what, which i think is great for the Sabres.

If Boston gets in, maybe they stay the course with the current roster and i also think that is good for the Sabres next year.

I am not a stat head, but wonder what the advanced guys say about the Bruins year...is it sustainable or was it like Colorado and Calgary last year? I don't know the stats, but i cant believe that little prink Marchard can continue to score goals like he did this year.

@TheHockeyWriter

Evaluating Evander Kane's First Season in Buffalo - http://wp.me/p17Rp0-15nh

#hockey #THW
CfM1ss0W4AASXBx.jpg

Evander Kane’s first season in Buffalo has come to an end a week early with an apparent hand injury. Kane’s season had a lot of twists and turns as he became familiar with a new team. After seeing the 24-year-old play a full season in blue and gold, fans now know what they can expect.

The Canadian-born forward fit the role the Sabres were looking to fill fairly well. The club wasn’t expecting Kane to lead them in scoring or be the best player on the roster. As opposed to Winnipeg where Kane was the go-to guy, for the Sabre, he was expected to be a top six forward who played with energy and put the puck in the net.

Who do you want to see miss the playoffs more...Philly or Boston. Kinda like picking a way to die, there is no good answer.

I am hoping Philly misses actually. They will continue to try and middle no matter what, which i think is great for the Sabres.

If Boston gets in, maybe they stay the course with the current roster and i also think that is good for the Sabres next year.

I am not a stat head, but wonder what the advanced guys say about the Bruins year...is it sustainable or was it like Colorado and Calgary last year? I don't know the stats, but i cant believe that little prink Marchard can continue to score goals like he did this year.

Well if it's any consolation to you, whichever team gets in will get steamrolled by the Craps. Actually though, part of me wants to see both get in. The Detroit streak needs to end. I just don't see the continuity from that team stacked with HoFers, even with Datsyuk and Zetterberg there.

I hope BFLo works on stabilizing the situation between the pipes... Shore that up and they are headed in right direction.

Buffalo is tied for 10th best overall save percentage in the league....

Check out the "in praise of goalie coach" section of this article:

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2016/04/02/oreilly-criticism-completely-misguided/

Buffalo is tied for 10th best overall save percentage in the league...

Check out the "in praise of goalie coach" section of this article:

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2016/04/02/oreilly-criticism-completely-misguided/

Those are solid numbers for sure, but is it just me or have the Sabres goalies let in more than their share of softies? Reimer and Bernier were famous for that. Playing well but always letting in that clunker at just the wrong time!

Well if it's any consolation to you, whichever team gets in will get steamrolled by the Craps. Actually though, part of me wants to see both get in. The Detroit streak needs to end. I just don't see the continuity from that team stacked with HoFers, even with Datsyuk and Zetterberg there.

good point...but i dont hate Detroit the way i hate the Bruins and Flyers. Too much time out being in the West i guess.

Those are solid numbers for sure, but is it just me or have the Sabres goalies let in more than their share of softies? Reimer and Bernier were famous for that. Playing well but always letting in that clunker at just the wrong time!

I think you are correct. Johnson would play great in some games 1st and 2nd, then give up a softie in the 3rd.

Lehner did it as well, like vs Edmonton. By all rights, Sabres should have been blown out that game but he keeps them in it with great saves, then gives up the stinker in OT. So how do you judge the performance?

4-4: SABRES DEFENSEMAN CASEY NELSON ON WGR (7:23)

Nelson on his first few games - It's been exciting, a big learning experience so far. The guys (in the room) have been unbelievable so far

Nelson on toughest part of transition - these guys are harder to handle, bigger, faster, stronger. These guys can do it all. #Sabres

Nelson on Mark Pysyk - He's helped me out a lot. Since I got in, he's helped me in the offensive zone. #Sabres

Nelson on decision to join Buffalo - Everyone looks at depth charts, and the #Sabres were a nice fit

@TheHockeyWriter

Jack Eichel's Case for the Calder Trophy - http://wp.me/p17Rp0-15nw

#hockey #THW

Watch any team for a long period of time and the "softies" will accumulate, it's just the nature of the position. Lundqvist had a terrible night against the Sabres, I wouldn't hesitate to start him in the next game.