Sabres and NHL 2015-16

26CornerBlitz

It's going to be an interesting offseason for this team. I can't wait to see what GMTM has going. He's not going to sit still.

It's nice to finally be at a point where we are looking for complementary players instead of the ones who are going to be your top guys. They probably need a high end d-man (good luck finding that), but other than that, it feels like the first time in ages where there is a solid core in place. I'll be very curious to see what he has up his plans, but at the same time, I'm hoping he doesn't ship too many prospects off. That feeder system needs to remain in place to retain the kind of cheap depth that wins championships.

Top Definition
When something is turned up or popping ...
John : did you go to that party last night

Daquan : yes that **** was lit

I'm left with the same exact question I had before.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only people who think a guy like Johnson is a priority are the ones who don't really know hockey. Johnson is a typical NHL backup goalie - he's nothing beyond that. He should be able to come in and win about half his games on a decent team. He'll steal a game or two and give up a game or two but he's not a franchise guy or anything close to it.

He's an Enroth, Halak, Neuvirth, etc. J.A.G. I would like to see the Sabres keep him for continuity sake and because he seems like a good dude so he won't mess up the chemistry in the room (I think Neuvirth might be a bit of a B word but that's not based on anything real) but if he walks he's nowhere near irreplaceable.

It's going to be an interesting offseason for this team. I can't wait to see what GMTM has going. He's not going to sit still.

I'm not so quick to dismiss Johnson. There is a tendency to evaluate people more on their pedigree than their ability. And goaltending has a groove much like being a running back, you have to play a lot to hit it.

My yardstick is can a goalie make the big saves late and I saw that in Johnson. But you also have to know when a goal is on a goalie or his defense. There were wayyy too many goals where the defense screwed up. I've played goalie for years and I tend to look at that. It's like saying a QB sucks when his receivers have hands of stone.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I'm not so quick to dismiss Johnson. There is a tendency to evaluate people more on their pedigree than their ability. And goaltending has a groove much like being a running back, you have to play a lot to hit it.

My yardstick is can a goalie make the big saves late and I saw that in Johnson. But you also have to know when a goal is on a goalie or his defense. There were wayyy too many goals where the defense screwed up. I've played goalie for years and I tend to look at that. It's like saying a QB sucks when his receivers have hands of stone.

I get what you're saying but Johnson is still a pretty limited guy. He had a good year and didn't give up a ton of the "forehead smacking" type goals that are the difference between regular goaltender and backup guy. He's not a great athlete with limited recovery skills and the more he plays the more likely the holes in his game are going to be exposed.

@NHL

Here are 5 questions to consider in preparation for the #NHLDraft Lottery today: http://s.nhl.com/6018BmvIK

The 14 teams that failed to qualify for the Stanley Cup Playoffs are hoping for some consolation when the 2016 NHL Draft Lottery is held in Toronto on Saturday (8 p.m. ET; NBC, CBC, TVA Sports).

The lottery will determine the order of the first 14 picks of the 2016 NHL Draft, which will be held June 24-25 at First Niagara Center in Buffalo.

In August 2014 the NHL changed the lottery format, and for the first time in 2016 the lottery drawing will assign the first three picks of the draft. Three separate drawings will be held.

The NHL also lowered the odds of success for the teams with the fewest points in the regular season. The 30th-place team has a 20.0-percent chance of winning the top pick; in 2014, prior to the changes, the 30th-place team had a 25.0-percent chance of winning.

2016 NHL Draft Lottery format, odds, details
Draft Lottery look-up table: Numeric (PDF)
Draft Lottery look-up table: By club (PDF)

I get what you're saying but Johnson is still a pretty limited guy. He had a good year and didn't give up a ton of the "forehead smacking" type goals that are the difference between regular goaltender and backup guy. He's not a great athlete with limited recovery skills and the more he plays the more likely the holes in his game are going to be exposed.

His level of athleticism is your opinion. Either way, splitting starts between Lehner and Johnson would not be the worst thing. Edited by PromoTheRobot

His level of athleticism is your opinion. Either way, splitting starts between Lehner and Johnson would not be the worst thing.

As in any sport too much emphasis is placed on athleticism when the real core evaluation issue is how well does one play. A player can shine at a combine setting and have eye popping physical traits but that doesn't mean in game situations that those traits will reflect how one performs.

In my mind Chad Johnson might not be an elite #1 goalie but he is better than your standard backup goalie. There is no doubt that the GM favors Robin Lehner as a #1 goalie. But it would be very risky to have Lehner as your top goalie especially when he has a history of injuries without having a Chad Johnson type goaltender as a backup.

Any mathematician have the odds figured out about us getting in the top 4?

I've seen the chart before but can't find it right now. I believe we can't pick at 4 but odds for 1st 2nd and 3rd are: 3%, 3.5% and 4% respectively. Now I could be slightly off but that's close to accurate at worst.