At 2-0 will you believe?

Coastie

They were 2-0 last year, 3-0 in 2011 and 4-0 in 2008.

I'm very pleased with the win, but it's a long season that will have ups and downs. I'll believe they can reach the playoffs when they clinch a spot.

Yes. After 15 years I'm astounded how any Bills fan can approach a marathon NFL season in any other way.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They were 2-0 last year, 3-0 in 2011 and 4-0 in 2008.

I'm very pleased with the win, but it's a long season that will have ups and downs. I'll believe they can reach the playoffs when they clinch a spot.

Yes...But the difference here would be that we would have beat last years AFC Finalists in back-to-back weeks.

I don't like to break up anyone's rainbows here, but there are no easy games this year for this team. Tennessee looked like a gimme before the season started and now Marcus Mariota looks like the best QB in the draft this year, and perhaps the best since Andrew Luck. Blake Bortles might be playing lights out by the time the Bills play the Jags.

This first game the Bills played with a lead, and the defense kept the Colts in check all day after that. Playing from behind is an entirely different animal, and will certainly show every little flaw in the offense. Needing to throw every down is considerably different from running almost every down and then looking for a specific opportunity when to pass the ball.

This years team doesn't have a powerhouse offense just yet, and although the Bills have a lot of weapons the team still lacks the knowledge that they have that supreme pocket passer that can make playing from behind work. The Bills O line looked very shaky with so many penalties, and lack of top run blocking on that right side. Things can change after a few games with some key player growth.

Still so many unknowns about this years team on both sides of the ball. The Bills need to make the playoffs before I'll believe.

I don't like to break up anyone's rainbows here, but there are no easy games this year for this team. Tennessee looked like a gimme before the season started and now Marcus Mariota looks like the best QB in the draft this year, and perhaps the best since Andrew Luck. Blake Bortles might be playing lights out by the time the Bills play the Jags.

This first game the Bills played with a lead, and the defense kept the Colts in check all day after that. Playing from behind is an entirely different animal, and will certainly show every little flaw in the offense. Needing to throw every down is considerably different from running almost every down and then looking for a specific opportunity when to pass the ball.

This years team doesn't have a powerhouse offense just yet, and although the Bills have a lot of weapons the team still lacks the knowledge that they have that supreme pocket passer that can make playing from behind work. The Bills O line looked very shaky with so many penalties, and lack of top run blocking on that right side. Things can change after a few games with some key player growth.

Still so many unknowns about this years team on both sides of the ball. The Bills need to make the playoffs before I'll believe.

If you are holding off our excitement because Blake Bortles may turn a corner I don't know what to tell you.

Nihilarian's argument that they will have to run the offense totally differently if they get in a hole is a fair one. But I don't see this team being in a hole more than once maybe twice this year. One of the most explosive offenses in the NFL just mustered a whole 14 points against this defense. Teams are not going to be putting us in a hole unless we commit multiple turnovers. That might happen a couple of times a year and we will more than likely lose those games.... but otherwise I can't see a team putting us far enough behind so as to make us one dimensional on offense.

We had the Colts 24-0 down in the 3rd on Sunday. I don't see the Bills being in that kind of hole all season to be honest.

2-0 would have us beating the SB Champs and the team they faced in the AFC Championship last year the first two weeks of the season. If we then roll Miami, the other AFC East team that the bobble heads were talking up this offseason, then it's on like a mofo!

Exactly. 2-0 or 3-0 against this schedule wouldn't be the usual misleading good start.

If you are holding off our excitement because Blake Bortles may turn a corner I don't know what to tell you.

My point was there are no gimmes in the NFL, and nothing is a given even against scrub QB's like Bortles or a bad team like the Jags. Case in Point, last year the 2-12 Raiders beat the 8-7 Bills who were vying for a playoff berth. That Bills defense ranked #4 stopped the leagues best QB in Aaron Rodgers, shut down Peyton Manning, and then choked against a rookie QB in Derek Carr.

Nihilarian's argument that they will have to run the offense totally differently if they get in a hole is a fair one. But I don't see this team being in a hole more than once maybe twice this year. One of the most explosive offenses in the NFL just mustered a whole 14 points against this defense. Teams are not going to be putting us in a hole unless we commit multiple turnovers. That might happen a couple of times a year and we will more than likely lose those games.... but otherwise I can't see a team putting us far enough behind so as to make us one dimensional on offense.

We had the Colts 24-0 down in the 3rd on Sunday. I don't see the Bills being in that kind of hole all season to be honest.

Last year the Bills had the #4 defense in the NFL, and led the NFL in sacks. They were an outright terror to most teams, and yet still got behind in may games.

My point being is the Bills can get behind against any team, and then will need to change the offensive philosophy from running to passing. We really don't know what will happen once the Bills get a score or two behind.

Lets also not forget that things will change once teams are able to game plan more specifically against a running QB in Taylor. Kaepernick stunk it up last year, and this weekend Russell Wilson was sacked 6 times by the lowly Rams who finished 6-10 last year. Just sayin on any given Sunday...

Andrew Luck faced Rex Ryan's Jets in 2012 as a rookie and was crushed 35 to 9 by a 6-10 Jets team. Looks like Ryan just might have Lucks number with all the disguised coverage's he utilizes.The Patriots, Dolphins, have faced Rex Ryan's defensive schemes the last 6 years and recently defeated them. Things might go differently this week with Tom Brady who is used to seeing that type of scheme 2x a year, who knows.

Granted, a new year with different players so nothing is set in stone just yet because there are still to many unknowns.

Edited by Nihilarian

The Bills always start off pretty good.

It's when that game #3 rolls around where you see the Bills run into a fully prepared opposition and in years past, get smacked around. I'll believe if they don't suffer a let down and go in there and beat Miami.

Even next week, the Patriots are relying on exactly one game of data. That's it. You can only prepare so much based off such limited information for a team with personnel and scheme so new. I doubt the Patriots know the Roman offense all that well and are cramming as much as they can. Sure, the Pats have played Ryan's defense but Ryan's defense never had so many playmakers, and as a result, creative options.

There probably hasn't been a single game in this matchup in the last 15 years where the teams have been so evenly matched.

Edited by dpberr

I clearly still suffer the lingering effects of broken dreams over the years. I came late on Sunday afternoon to watch the game (tape delayed). My son was watching the game live, so I was careful not learn the score and ran to the basement to watch the game. My son is a diehard Bill's fan like me and he didn't look happy, so I wasn't very hopeful. I watched the first three quarters waiting the for the wheels to fall off, just wondering what would go wrong this time. At 24-0, I felt pretty good, but I still couldn't shake that bad feeling.

It turns out my son was hiding his elation because he knew I wouldn't want the surprise ruined. Can anyone recommend a good councellor?

In my head I see a team that is built to win with dominating defence and an improved and apparently capable offence. Too many traumatic Sundays over the past 15 years have taken their toll.

My point was there are no gimmes in the NFL, and nothing is a given even against scrub QB's like Bortles or a bad team like the Jags. Case in Point, last year the 2-12 Raiders beat the 8-7 Bills who were vying for a playoff berth. That Bills defense ranked #4 stopped the leagues best QB in Aaron Rodgers, shut down Peyton Manning, and then choked against a rookie QB in Derek Carr.

Last year the Bills had the #4 defense in the NFL, and led the NFL in sacks. They were an outright terror to most teams, and yet still got behind in may games.

My point being is the Bills can get behind against any team, and then will need to change the offensive philosophy from running to passing. We really don't know what will happen once the Bills get a score or two behind.

The Bills didn't need to change their offensive philosophy last year.... Marrone thought we have the second coming of Dan Marino back there we were throwing so much. We didn't get into many holes that forced us to change philosophy but it didn't matter anyway because our philosophy was flawed to begin with.

The Bills always start off pretty good.

It's when that game #3 rolls around where you see the Bills run into a fully prepared opposition and in years past, get smacked around. I'll believe if they don't suffer a let down and go in there and beat Miami.

Even next week, the Patriots are relying on exactly one game of data. That's it. You can only prepare so much based off such limited information for a team with personnel and scheme so new. I doubt the Patriots know the Roman offense all that well and are cramming as much as they can. Sure, the Pats have played Ryan's defense but Ryan's defense never had so many playmakers, and as a result, creative options.

There probably hasn't been a single game in this matchup in the last 15 years where the teams have been so evenly matched.

If we win this week, I think you are right about a possible let down. How the team comes out against Miami will be very telling. If they come out and try to crush Miami from the first snap, oh baby I will take back much of what I have said about Rex Ryan. If they come out flat then I can only hope they take it as a learning lesson.

If they lose to the Pats, especially if it is a close loss, I think Miami bears the wrath.

Every season since 1973, I start with hope, I start with dreams of the Bills winning a Super Bowl but if the Bills start 2-0 this season I think for the first time in 10 years I will actually BELIEVE we can make it to the Super Bowl. Not saying we will, not even saying it is probable but I am saying for the first time in recent memory I will able to look at my team honestly and say we can win it all.

I know two games is not a lot but what will push me over the edge into belief is we played five games against teams with ten wins or more last year and won three of them. So I am like Fox Mulder I guess, I want to believe and if we can pull off the win this week, I will.

we will let you know IF they get to 2 and 0. Don't count your chickens before they hatch. They have to play against the GENIUS and also a hall of fame quarterback this Sunday. 2 and 0 will be a major accomplishment if it happens. At this point the Bills are only 1 and 0 just like EVERYONE else in their division.

Which is exactly why we should judge based on rosters and what we have seen. Based on those two things it is much more likely that the Bills are good than bad. Obviously, nothing is certain but the information that we have leans heavily towards a them being a really good team. Edited by Kirby Jackson

The Bills didn't need to change their offensive philosophy last year.... Marrone thought we have the second coming of Dan Marino back there we were throwing so much. We didn't get into many holes that forced us to change philosophy but it didn't matter anyway because our philosophy was flawed to begin with.

Yea I agree, and for the life of me I can figure out why the team just abruptly started throwing more then passing during that Chargers game. Then continued with that pass happy theme for the rest of the year.