great game. two concerns....

Webster Guy

I agree!

I agree.

1. Rex, please sit the entire team down, and let them know that stupid penalties won't be tolerated. Penalties 11 for 113 yards!

Hughes- 3 for 23 yards. offsides, personal foul, one other

Glenn- 2 for holding

Brooks-1 personal foul

Clay-1

Mulligan-1 holding

Wood-1 holding

I can pick nits all day long, but this is my single biggest complaint from yesterday. Ryan's teams have a penchant for penalties and while they didnt hurt us yesterday, they definitely will in close games. One way or the other, this better not be a chronic issue with the team

I can pick nits all day long, but this is my single biggest complaint from yesterday. Ryan's teams have a penchant for penalties and while they didnt hurt us yesterday, they definitely will in close games. One way or the other, this better not be a chronic issue with the team

The chop block on Clay, the roughing the punter (declined), and the facemask on Hughes were all BS calls.

In Jerry's defense the one offsides should have been a delay of game on the colts iirc.

IIRC there was movement on the Bills D-line, then the Colts center moved the ball, and then Jerry Hughes jumped, all this as the clock was running down. I don't think that should be held against Hughes. I don't even know if a penalty was specifically charged to Hughes by the referee, or if all concerned (the announcers/viewers) have just assumed that Hughes was who the penalty was called on.

Edited by HoF Watkins

The chop block on Clay, the roughing the punter (declined), and the facemask on Hughes were all BS calls.

Fair enough - take them out and there were still too many IMHO. I like the tackling discipline and general ball security, which both point to good coaching. But penalties are things which should be largely controllable.

1. Jerry Hughes seems to be continuing his dumb and undisciplined play. Three penalties for 40 yards. Rex if you do ONE thing this week, please sit him down and explain that he isn't worth having on the field if he continues to play like this. What a freaking joke. Stop jumping offsides, stop getting 15 yard personal fouls you hack. This guy is going to cost us a game if this keeps up, and it's been a problem for a long time not just yesterday.

Unfortunately, I believe that is just the kind of risk you take with a player like Hughes. He is a high risk, high reward type of player who plays with a lot of emotion and aggression. It is part of what makes him so good and his quick burst caused a holding penalty or two as well as drawing a flag. I think if you try to hard to "tame" him you will also take away the thing that makes him such an impact player on this defense. Unfortunately, he also has a reputation now which draws extra attention from the officials, but I guarantee you, opposing Defenses are thinking about him too.

Fair enough - take them out and there were still too many IMHO. I like the tackling discipline and general ball security, which both point to good coaching. But penalties are things which should be largely controllable.

Ehh, yes and no.

The offensive ones, for sure. You cant have OL holding and killing drives.

But on defense, where you want your guys playing on the edge of insanity, I'll take a couple of offsides and even a personal foul for a hit. Bruce was always good for 2-3 offsides every game. It's going to happen on our DL when they are pinning their ears back and getting after the QB.

It's that mentality that got us to 24-0. Once we went into prevent mode halfway through the 3rd qtr, the penalties dwindled/ended.

Unfortunately, I believe that is just the kind of risk you take with a player like Hughes. He is a high risk, high reward type of player who plays with a lot of emotion and aggression. It is part of what makes him so good and his quick burst caused a holding penalty or two as well as drawing a flag. I think if you try to hard to "tame" him you will also take away the thing that makes him such an impact player on this defense. Unfortunately, he also has a reputation now which draws extra attention from the officials, but I guarantee you, opposing Defenses are thinking about him too.

Exactly! :thumbsup:

The chop block was a bad call, but the other two were entirely fair. The Bills need to do better on penalties. I also thought the offensive linemen held more than they were actually called for.

I can recall a guy by the name of Bruce Smith getting a lot of off sides calls, and not many personal fouls tho.

Perhaps Rex needs to talk to both the players and the league FO about the BS calls.

The holding calls gotta stop as they are usually drive killers.

We need to step on their throat,when we are up. Not stall ball. Belicheat steps on your throat when he`s up. Never enough points. Kinda looked Marronish at the end. Holding on. They were stacking the line. Play action would have killed them in the 4th quarter. We are gonna get a rb hurt with this .

What an awesome home opener win against a great Colts team. We've said for the past few years if we could somehow find a good qb this team is ready to win it all and it looks like we might have one in TT.

Two things that need to be fixed this week:

1. Jerry Hughes seems to be continuing his dumb and undisciplined play. Three penalties for 40 yards. Rex if you do ONE thing this week, please sit him down and explain that he isn't worth having on the field if he continues to play like this. What a freaking joke. Stop jumping offsides, stop getting 15 yard personal fouls you hack. This guy is going to cost us a game if this keeps up, and it's been a problem for a long time not just yesterday.

2. Tyrod was quick to praise his Oline, but it seemed there was a big discrepancy between the left side of the line--which played well-- and the right side, which seemed to cave in most every play. I haven't re watched the game but it seemed like Miller and Henderson weren't holding up at all, and Indy isn't known for a fearsome D line.

Did anyone else get the sense that our O line is only half fixed?

I brought up this concern about Hughes like 2-3 months ago and if I recall correctly a few people dismissed the concern. This is a major problem brewing here. Getting multiple calls in the first game will get him even more attention. He'll even be less apt to draw holding calls. I get that he's intense, and you have to take the bad with the good at times. My problem is simply that it will rear its ugly head at a catastrophic time. If Rex is only sitting him down about this for the first time, then he's not doing a very good job in that area. Maybe Rex wants him going over the edge a little now to set a tone? I didn't really even see specifically what happened, from the end of the upper deck.

Dumb penalties and poor O-line play were my two big concerns. McCoy was a third minor concern. He did not look as good as billed. Is he not 100%? Sit him till he is.

Thought Shady did OK when they got him the ball in space? 46 yds. Would have had >100 combined yards with the TD that was nullified by penalty, had 97 as it was, about 1/3 of the yards not delivered by Tyrod's wheels. He did OK. Want more from him, get him some blocks. Shady is a back who needs blocks to maximize his potential.

We need to step on their throat,when we are up. Not stall ball. Belicheat steps on your throat when he`s up. Never enough points. Kinda looked Marronish at the end. Holding on. They were stacking the line. Play action would have killed them in the 4th quarter. We are gonna get a rb hurt with this .

A fair point, except that what really killed them was all the holding calls on first down.

I brought up this concern about Hughes like 2-3 months ago and if I recall correctly a few people dismissed the concern. This is a major problem brewing here. Getting multiple calls in the first game will get him even more attention. He'll even be less apt to draw holding calls. I get that he's intense, and you have to take the bad with the good at times. My problem is simply that it will rear its ugly head at a catastrophic time. If Rex is only sitting him down about this for the first time, then he's not doing a very good job in that area. Maybe Rex wants him going over the edge a little now to set a tone? I didn't really even see specifically what happened, from the end of the upper deck.

He'll be fine. Rex gave him a game ball by the way. Not sure what his final grades were, but it must have been pretty good. I think folks are really underestimating his level of play and what he brings to the defense.

Flagrant personal fouls are one thing. A ticky tack facemask that was an accident is not the same thing. It's not cause to say "this guy is detrimental to the team and does not help us win". Look a little closer at what he's doing on the field. Not just the sack numbers. He got a game ball for a reason. He was a force, controlled the edge, and ate up blockers.

Definitely want the penalties to get cleaned up as much as anyone. Not going to publicly start crucifying one of our best, hardest working, and driven players as an individual to do so. But that's just like, my opinion, man.

What an awesome home opener win against a great Colts team. We've said for the past few years if we could somehow find a good qb this team is ready to win it all and it looks like we might have one in TT.

2. Tyrod was quick to praise his Oline, but it seemed there was a big discrepancy between the left side of the line--which played well-- and the right side, which seemed to cave in most every play. I haven't re watched the game but it seemed like Miller and Henderson weren't holding up at all, and Indy isn't known for a fearsome D line.

I'll accept Hughes' penalties as long as he's effective, which he was. I'll also excuse that one offsides penalty where he was watching the play clock and it looked like a close delay-of-game call against the Colts. That's a good gamble.

The right side of the line is a rookie and a 2nd-year player. It remains to be seen if that is a "fix" or not.

Last week the Bills rushed off of the edges a lot. Now that Marcel is back it's going to be right up the middle. Drive the OLmen right back into Brady on one play, then shoot between the center and tackle on the next. Next, run a stunt with the DE crossing behind the tackle and going up the gut to the QB. This is going to fun to watch. I'm OK with some penalties as long as Brady is getting smacked around like a red headed stepchild.

Dumb penalties and poor O-line play were my two big concerns. McCoy was a third minor concern. He did not look as good as billed. Is he not 100%? Sit him till he is.

Disagree.

He looked fine. Barely played any preseason. Sitting him would be counter productive. He's an all star.

Take it easy man. He's a sack master and a steal. Where is Sheppard?