Matt Cassel re-signed, will be #2 QB

YoloinOhio

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

years? How long is his rookie contract? 10 years? When the time comes if the situation remains like it is what is a chance of a Bills extension? i say zero.

He wasted his first two seasons with a clown show coaching staff. He's shown growth in one offseason under Roman. Let's unwad our panties and take it a year at a time, shall we?

Well, for whatever it's worth, I share your opinion.

I was struck by something Roman said in an interview, something to the effect of "testing" the offense line by not making adjustments against the D, so that in a game with adjustments it will be easier. Rex has said some similar things about the D, testing the DBs instead of giving them help as would be done on game day.

I think in OTAs and early TC they saw EJ was a project, got the flick that he hadn't really had decent coaching, and said "OK, we'll develop him over the spring/summer and see. If he improves, we'll keep at it, if he doesn't, *snip snip snip*. I think EJ has been with the 3's against our 1's D because that's where he got what he needed most - having to read and interpret a complex D and react properly to pressure.

I think the QB have their roles: TT is the starter, EJ is the long-term backup plan if TT doesn't have all that after a decent series of games or goes down with injury, and Cassel is the capable vet who will do everything he can to help TT out, who can be game-ready with minimal snaps during the week and can come in mid-game if needed.

EJ just sounds too calm and positive for a guy who is buried deep on a team's depth chart. He sounds like a guy who has a role and knows what it is.

But I could be wrong.

I don't think Ryan and Roman have any expectation of playing Manuel this year, or intention to start him if Tyrod gets hurt. But I have a hunch that EJ will end up playing and starting before the year is out.

Regarding scout teams... didn't Tyrod run the scout team in Baltimore as the #2 QB?

Yes, he did. But the roles of the #2 and #3 QB (if a team carries one) are basically whatever the coaches say they are.

Edit: and scanning the rosters, I don't think the Ravens usually kept a #3 QB, why should they with a well-established proven-durable starter?

Edited by Hopeful

Yes, he did. But the roles of the #2 and #3 QB (if a team carries one) are basically whatever the coaches say they are.

And keep in mind, currently the Bills also have Trick-shot Tanney on the PS. He could get some scout team work, too.

I can't wait until the Tie Rod people turn on him, as they did when their golden boy Orton failed. It is, what it is. I for one would love Taylor to shut me up and take us to the playoffs.

I can not imagine someone who calls himself a fan expressing this hope. As you imply, people will only turn on Tyrod if he plays badly and we lose because of his playing.

Why would a fan express eagerness for this to happen?

And keep in mind, currently the Bills also have Trick-shot Tanney on the PS. He could get some scout team work, too.

I thought the plan was to cut him and sign O'Leary

Not trying to be argumentative because, like most Bills fans, I've had enough of this QB competition and am just glad that we have a winner, but I don't think EJ will develop as a number 3 QB. If he was 2nd string he would get some reps with the offense. As a third stringer he will run the scout team and will have to mimic the throwing styles of the QBs the Bills will play - I think that is disastrous for his development.

ChevyVan, can you expand a little more on this?

I thought the point of the scout team was to mimic the "look" of the offense they're about to face - the formations they use, the snap counts, the timing.

I never heard of the scout team QB trying to "mimic the throwing styles of the QB (their team) will play". I would think that would be very difficult and counter-productive, because the opposing QB in question may be very good indeed and changing the actual throwing style week by week would, it seems to me, degrade even a great QB's performance much less the scout team guy.

Anyway, I never heard of this mimic the throwing styles thing, but then, there's a lot I've never heard of.

I can not imagine someone who calls himself a fan expressing this hope. As you imply, people will only turn on Tyrod if he plays badly and we lose because of his playing.

Why would a fan express eagerness for this to happen?

I thought the plan was to cut him and sign O'Leary

I thought he was released from the PS yesterday to add Noel.

I thought so, too. I haven't seen any definitive report he has been cut and he is still listed on the PS at BB.com. But I'm not sure he will last, that's why I said "currently the Bills have..."

He wasted his first two seasons with a clown show coaching staff. He's shown growth in one offseason under Roman. Let's unwad our panties and take it a year at a time, shall we?

His new coaching staff has him third on the depth chart. So that is Marroons doing? or..........

You make it sound like they pulled the kid off the street, handed him a football, and said learn this. he has been coached his entire football life. his offensive scheme in college in simple terms was dumbed down to play to his strengths. or so I am told.

if he had undeniable starting talent and could read defenses, on and on.Guess what in year three he would be a starter not buried on the depth chart. Did he improve? it sure looks like he did. Was it enough? Apparently not. Doubtful the coaches are saying one or two more years and he will be ready. because that is what it appears you are implying. if TT flames out I would expect a QB chosen next year and early.

That will tell everyone all they need about EJ's future with the Bills. I am not against the kid, but the excuses are borderline crazy here. he was a huge reach in a crappy year for QB's. There is no disputing that.

Edited by Best Player Available

@FieldYates

Source: Matt Cassel now has a base salary of $2M, with chance to earn up to $4.15M thru incentives. His old deal had $4.15M base salary.

You're quite welcome.

That sounds fair to all parties. At a guess, The Texans offered him about the same amount but without the incentives (or the #2 spot which makes it seem plausible he might earn them)

But that third stringer is expensive, counting for 2.5 million. ;-)

Since it's guaranteed $$ as is next years salary, it's on our books whether he's here or not (unless we trade him). Cheaper to keep him.

ChevyVan, can you expand a little more on this?

I thought the point of the scout team was to mimic the "look" of the offense they're about to face - the formations they use, the snap counts, the timing.

I never heard of the scout team QB trying to "mimic the throwing styles of the QB (their team) will play". I would think that would be very difficult and counter-productive, because the opposing QB in question may be very good indeed and changing the actual throwing style week by week would, it seems to me, degrade even a great QB's performance much less the scout team guy.

Anyway, I never heard of this mimic the throwing styles thing, but then, there's a lot I've never heard of.

I think the biggest things that go against the theory that being QB of the scout team somehow prepares you well as a starter is 1) you are not even running your own offense and 2) you are running another teams offense with backup players who wouldn't even be on the field with you on game day if somehow you do become starter. This negatively trumps any supposed advantage of 'more reps' IMO

Edited by stevewin