Do you think our defense will be better or worse this year?

Rubes

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone responding to this thread with a concern that Rex's "system" won't fit our players as well as Schwartz's just hasn't done his research.

eball.......if there was a league for prediction makers.........you might be drafting number one overall this spring B-)

Like many, I was excited when they brought Rex in as HC, since that meant we'd very likely continue with the trend the last couple of years of outstanding defense, and perhaps even get better.

Although the defense will be similar to what we had with Pettine, that defense had some definite weaknesses. Last year's defense with Schwartz was solid, but Rex's system is a bit different, putting more pressure on the DBs, so the results may not be the same.

There's a lot of talk from the Bills that they are expecting great things from this defense, and they expect to be #1 overall. On the cusp of the season, I'm interested to hear if people think we'll actually improve compared to last year, or not. Obviously there are many different measures that could be used, but taking all of those measures into account, what is your sense of how the defense will perform this year?

Personally, I expect some really good things, but I'm worried about our CBs not holding up in this system. I think the first quarter of the season may be less than stellar for the defense, but with improvement as the year goes on. I'm sure it's the cynic in me, and I don't have a lot of solid evidence to base this on, but I'm not really expecting a top 5 defense this year. I think they could be...but my concern about our DBs in general makes me doubt it.

They are going to need to make changes to the roster. If they add the right pieces, they have a shot to improve.... If they just draft a few dbs in the late round and don't do anything about the d line and linebacker situation except let Mario walk, expect bottom 10. Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I know you guys are having fun piling on and all, but I think what we learned isn't that the players don't necessarily fit Rex's system -- it's that some of them didn't want to.

In any event, I'm just as surprised as anyone that the defense turned out the way it did.

Carry on.

has to be better

#1- former rex player Jason Taylor said Rex's D is the most complicated and difficult to master he ever played in. time will improve this.

#2- we had the worst LB"s in the league. nowhere to go but up.

#3- Mario checked out along time ago. whoever is there will be better.

#4- will probably add a true NT (with dareus & kyle as DE's in the 3-4).

Thanks for digging this up, a whole lot of crow to eat here, LOL! I loved the comment about Rex being a genius about defense.

Love to hear some specific incidents of on the field brilliant play calls or in game decisions that have showed Rex's "genius" ; outside of lots of bravado and talk.

Rex is a hack who will force his scheme on our players, some players will immediately become jaded and eventually quit on him if we aren't winning/performing, and we'll end up dismantling this defense.

Edited by FireChan, Yesterday, 09:41 PM.

<_<

I didn't make a prediction in this thread. But if I would have, I would have guessed that Rex's D would be roughly about as good as Schwartz's, so I admit to being fully and completely wrong about my expectations for the defense heading into the season.