Cassel released

FluffHead

If EJ Manuel and Matt Cassel reversed their salaries, then I think EJ would have been cut.

I also believe Whaley wants to keep EJ Manuel so that people don't accuse him of drafting a 1st round bust. He tends to defend his trades and draft picks rather than admitting his mistakes.

For the record, experience has taught me over the years that pre-season performances by QB's mean NOTHING! I've seen every Bills QB play since 1960.

There are a lot of conclusions being drawn about these QB's based on insignificant data. I still haven't seen EJ Manuel do well against a decent defense in a regular season game. Until proven otherwise, Manuel is still a questionable 1st round pick. If he never becomes a solid stater in the NFL then it is certainly a wasted pick. Time will tell. The odds favor bust over boom at this point.

I don't think its that straightforward.

Rex is on record saying that all three QBs would compete on the field for #1.

If the salaries were reversed but the on field performance was still

Cassel- nice completion % but zero success at passing for a score

EJ- Best pass of all the QBs in the first three games with his long TD pass against NC

- Clutch performance throwing for 2 scores in the Cleveland win

-Highest achievable QB rating against Pitt with 2 pass 2 TDs and led the team to 3 TDs

cutting him would have been explainable contractually, but Rex's word would have taken a hit among players.

The facts on the ground made the Cassel cut logical. The contract made it a no-brainer.

The simple fact is that the reporters who gave Meh an inside track to the #1 job and the fans who threw EJ under the bus when his failed improvement was easily attributable to poor training under Merrone's regime simply proved they have no football brains.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ChrisBrownBills

The #Bills made final moves to get to 53 - DT Red Bryant, QB Matt Cassel, C Dalton Freeman, S Jonathan Meeks, LB Kevin Reddick.

We must pick up someone for interior OL depth. Urbik is the only one we have right now.

Regarding Cassel, the right thing to do, he was the disaster option but the two young QBs stepped up making him an overpriced option. Tea leaves, lol.......

I think that was a very deliberate part of EJ's development and installing the offense. I thought the former at the time, though I'm not sure I posted it. The latter is in hindsight - I really thought they would keep Cassel.

I think Roman was using the vet QB to "teach" the offense against the 3's on D, and using the 1's on D and the backup OL to put more pressure on EJ and teach him to read and react quicker.

Honest Rex did keep telling us not to "read too much into" who got what snaps, now, didn't he?

Good points, they did mention that EJ was slower at picking up the offense than the other 2, so that would make sense.

No, actually, it wouldn't surprise me if the pecking order after the Panthers PS game was in fact Cassel, TT, EJ (though obviously not in stone). To both TT & EJ's credit (+ Roman et all), the next 2 games changed a lot of minds. I don't think Cassel did anything wrong, the other 2 just really shined.

This is far more credible to me than any media conspiracy theory.

Throughout, I've said over and over that a media conspiracy was ridiculous, and not the cause of this outcome.

What wasn't? An inherent bias that was based on constantly supporting the choice, made by the media long ago, that EJ, to quote Mike Schopp "is horrible, horrible, horrible". All contrary info since that choice has been marginalized, or just flat out ignored, while at the same time, anything Cassel did was not only overly praised, but the ensuing "analysis" was also held up as the finest example of being "objective".

Many posters here saw it for what it was: bias, not an agenda. The thing about bias: the people who have it usually don't realize it.

Some in the media, like Sal Capaccio have done some introspection, realized their bias, and made the correction. Others will never even admit they were wrong, and will cling to Matt Cassel being cut as the wrong move....

....just like they never let go of the Watkins trade "costing" us a chance to draft a QB this year...at 19. :wallbash: They will just stop talking about it, and will never be accountable for it.

This isn't conspiracy. This is either bias, incompetence, petulance, intrasigence, or ingorance of the NFL game. Or, perhaps a combination of all.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Article written by Chris Brown:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/EJ-Manuel-earns-backup-job-at-QB/d0200155-2b22-42d8-88cc-0d1268fa1294

See paragraph 2:

With the release of Matt Cassel Friday along with a host of other player cuts in advance of the league deadline to get the roster down to 53 players, Manuel was awarded the backup quarterback job.

CB states Cassel was cut Friday, meaning yesterday.

Edited by BillsinChesterSprings

Throughout, I've said over and over that a media conspiracy was ridiculous, and not the cause of this outcome.

What wasn't? An inherent bias that was based on constantly supporting the choice, made by the media long ago, that EJ, to quote Mike Schopp "is horrible, horrible, horrible". All contrary info since that choice has been marginalized, or just flat out ignored, while at the same time, anything Cassel did was not only overly praised, but the ensuing "analysis" was also held up as the finest example of being "objective".

Many posters here saw it for what it was: bias, not an agenda. The thing about bias: the people who have it usually don't realize it.

Some in the media, like Sal Capaccio have done some introspection, realized their bias, and made the correction. Others will never even admit they were wrong, and will cling to Matt Cassel being cut as the wrong move....

....just like they never let go of the Watkins trade "costing" us a chance to draft a QB this year...at 19. :wallbash: They will just stop talking about it, and will never be accountable for it.

This isn't conspiracy. This is either bias, incompetence, petulance, intrasigence, or ingorance of the NFL game. Or, perhaps a combination of all.

Don't worry about it, I don't read you.

No, actually, it wouldn't surprise me if the pecking order after the Panthers PS game was in fact Cassel, TT, EJ (though obviously not in stone). To both TT & EJ's credit (+ Roman et all), the next 2 games changed a lot of minds. I don't think Cassel did anything wrong, the other 2 just really shined.

This is far more credible to me than any media conspiracy theory.

all I am saying is that with the 20/20 vision of retrospect a smart football brain would have assessed

1. Take Rex at his word that all 3 QBs were candidates for the #1 job with the results to be proven on the field in practice and in games.

In addition to this more objective assessment, subjectively it was clear that Ryan had great hopes for TT (but these hopes had yet to emerge), Rex had hopes for Cassel as a player proven to lead a team to the playoffs BUT real doubts existed as to whether he was good enuf to be the man (it was clearly Meh's job to take but he had not shown enuf recently to be given the job. Also, EJ was always a hopeful project but these hopes had not been realized due to his inconsistent play. Nevertheless, he clearly was a quality guy, good athlete and though he had disappointed the old regime were clearly idiots so he gets a shot.

2. After initial practices and game 1-

No one had taken the job of the 3.

Cassel- Has shown he can perform consistently though inadequately. Only remains #1 on depth chart because neither TT nor EJ has taken the job.

TT- Showed signs of life after game 1(though little besides he keeps looking to pass when flushed.

EJ- Great bomb for a score but occaissional teeth grating misfires. Showed best upside so far

Bills reporting and fan chatter- Starting to get excited and but mindlessly keeps hope in Meh despite little objective evidence. Also, mindlessly remains disappointed in EJ.

3. After Game 2

Poor practices have braintrust satisfied Cassel is not the answer but in the absence of EJ and TT neither taking the job or playing themselves of the roster Meh is not an unreasonable plan B. Coaching staff decides to give all 3 a go with starters and EJ earns the first look in game 3 with his two scoring passes to win game 2.

Reporters and fans with little football knowledge judge Meh still #1 though he has done little to take the job. Coaches say who cares they have work to do.

4. After Game 3

T-Mobile takes the job. EJ performs outstandingly and wins the #2 job. Meh disappoints so badly (he not only did nothing to take the job but is lucky that bad hands by a Pitts DB didn't cost him a pick 6.

A number of reporters and some foolish fans still have Meh as #1 when in reality its only matter of time until he is told don't let the door hit him on the way out.

I think it is clear in retrospect that anyone who wants to claim superior analysis or knowledge about the Bills should have seen tis coming. I don't claim perfect knowledge but at least I know what I don't know.

Only surprised by Red Bryant.

And that O'Leary is still on the team.

Agreed. This is a bad move. O'Leary wouldn't make most PS's.

Bryant was a great signing.

Bad move Rex.

all I am saying is that with the 20/20 vision of retrospect a smart football brain would have assessed

1. Take Rex at his word that all 3 QBs were candidates for the #1 job with the results to be proven on the field in practice and in games.

In addition to this more objective assessment, subjectively it was clear that Ryan had great hopes for TT (but these hopes had yet to emerge), Rex had hopes for Cassel as a player proven to lead a team to the playoffs BUT real doubts existed as to whether he was good enuf to be the man (it was clearly Meh's job to take but he had not shown enuf recently to be given the job. Also, EJ was always a hopeful project but these hopes had not been realized due to his inconsistent play. Nevertheless, he clearly was a quality guy, good athlete and though he had disappointed the old regime were clearly idiots so he gets a shot.

2. After initial practices and game 1-

No one had taken the job of the 3.

Cassel- Has shown he can perform consistently though inadequately. Only remains #1 on depth chart because neither TT nor EJ has taken the job.

TT- Showed signs of life after game 1(though little besides he keeps looking to pass when flushed.

EJ- Great bomb for a score but occaissional teeth grating misfires. Showed best upside so far

Bills reporting and fan chatter- Starting to get excited and but mindlessly keeps hope in Meh despite little objective evidence. Also, mindlessly remains disappointed in EJ.

3. After Game 2

Poor practices have braintrust satisfied Cassel is not the answer but in the absence of EJ and TT neither taking the job or playing themselves of the roster Meh is not an unreasonable plan B. Coaching staff decides to give all 3 a go with starters and EJ earns the first look in game 3 with his two scoring passes to win game 2.

Reporters and fans with little football knowledge judge Meh still #1 though he has done little to take the job. Coaches say who cares they have work to do.

4. After Game 3

T-Mobile takes the job. EJ performs outstandingly and wins the #2 job. Meh disappoints so badly (he not only did nothing to take the job but is lucky that bad hands by a Pitts DB didn't cost him a pick 6.

A number of reporters and some foolish fans still have Meh as #1 when in reality its only matter of time until he is told don't let the door hit him on the way out.

I think it is clear in retrospect that anyone who wants to claim superior analysis or knowledge about the Bills should have seen tis coming. I don't claim perfect knowledge but at least I know what I don't know.

Yeah I think we all got it. No need for the refresher.

Red Bryant's issue is he is out of gas at end of year.

Bills may sign him later after game 1 when they do not need to pay him for every week.

Hope so.

What I feel most encouraged by is that the BB brass decided against going the safe route w/ business as usual; that is to say, we all knew what we had with Meh Cassel, and the coaching staff knew there would be a fan revolt if we had another Captain Checkdown, "game manager". It also means we are not content to go with that tired approach of all defense, ground & pound, blah blah blah. Too much talent here to squander with Cassel.

Exactly...well-said