Cost difference of cutting/trading a QB - only 1.35m

VABills

Isn't EJ's rookie contract fully guaranteed? How would cutting him negate that?

I am not an expert on this but on Spotrac, cutting EJ at this point would cost us $5.250 million in dead cap. Keeping him for the next 2 years will cost us $5.250.

Whereas cutting Cassel at this point would cost us $600,000 in dead cap (Saving the $4,150 million salary). We would have to pay him an addition $4 million at least to keep him next year, totaling $8.150 million in cost.

Cutting Cassel would save us far more than cutting EJ. ($4-8 million vs potentially $2.8 million if Manuel plays for another team)

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/matt-cassel/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/e.j.-manuel/

Edited by What a Tuel

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By releasing him now, the Bills save 4 mil on this year's cap. Any cap savings will rollover into next years cap, increasing the total money the Bills are allowed to spend. Cutting him now rather than letting his contract play out essentially allows the Bills to spend $4 million more on players next season. This is essentially why Jackson was released as well and why a player like Manny Lawson could be on the bubble. The more the Bills save this year against the cap, the more they can spend next year. With so many guys needing extensions, the Bills need all the cap they can get for next season.

This really was never an issue when the Bills were owned by Wilson. Actual cash spending was more important than what we were spending against the salary cap. With an influx of cash due to Pegula owning the team, we should expect the Bills to trying to "game" the cap in any way they can.

Edit: Also, the negative numbers represent how much more money we can spend in 2016

OK thanks for breaking that down. 4 million is significant but it's a hard thing to do to not have a veteran QB on the roster. A tough decision.

Logic is wrong here. This is all about 2016 salary cap implcations.

Keep both = 7.15 mil cap number this year; 2.8 cap number in 2016(EJ)

2016 cap effect: -4.75 mil(cassel contract coming off books; EJ under contract for 2016)

Keep Cassel; cut EJ: 7.15 mil cap number(includes ~2.4 mil EJ dead money) this year; 2.8 cap number in 2016(EJ dead money)

2016 cap effect: -4.75 mil(cassel gone; ej dead money)

Keep EJ; cut Cassel: 3 mil cap number this year( includes 600k Cassel dead money); 2.8 cap number in 2016(EJ)

2016 cap effect: -4.75 mil(cassel gone; EJ still here); reduces 2015 cap number by 4.15 mil which will rollover into 2016

Net 2016 cap effect: -8.9 mil

That extra 4 mil is a starting G or resigning Bradham or half of resigning Glenn.

This is year one for this coaching staff. They are not sacrificing mid 20s homegrown talent for a year of Cassel insurance(or Fred Jackson for that matter).

This! The original case completely ignores the cap implications of cutting EJ early on the future cap. So while you may save a small amount still owed EJ, the dead cap money gets accelerated at completely the wrong time.

BTW, the other argument I love is the, we need to bring another guy in just like Tyrod, you know, with similar talent and ability. Yes, they're all over the damn place. Just go pick one off the strong-armed, mobile QB tree! LOL!

OK thanks for breaking that down. 4 million is significant but it's a hard thing to do to not have a veteran QB on the roster. A tough decision.

They might think they can snag a veteran who gets cut this week. And not pay him over 4 mil. They chose Taylor to start. That means he will get at least a month to figure things out if he does not start off well.

Also, this is Ryan's 1st year here. They have to be thinking about the big picture a little bit right now.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong (like you wouldn't do it anyway), but isn't the only important thing the cap money? EJ's money is guaranteed so cutting him saves no cap money, where as cutting Cassel before the start of the season saves like $4mm. Have at me.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong (like you wouldn't do it anyway), but isn't the only important thing the cap money? EJ's money is guaranteed so cutting him saves no cap money, where as cutting Cassel before the start of the season saves like $4mm. Have at me.

Your and idiot.

That sounds right to me though. People are using EJ's entire contract as this year (though they are correct if he is cut) instead of just basing this year alone side by side.

If they're not going to keep both, then keep EJ for his potential. Pretty simple to me, but I'm just a fan.

I'll be irked if we let either of em go. EJ the physical prototype 1st round pick who's clearly getting better as time marches, and Cassel the only QB we have who you can be certain will get the ball out on time and accurately. Dropping either one seems to do more harm than good. Edited by Aaron

You're wrong. If someone picks him up, there are certain minimums at least they have to pay. Anything Ej is paid by another team, if he is cut, is reduced from the Bills cap and out lay. So if EJ is cut and someone pays him 2M a year then the Bills are off the hook for that 2m.

So you agree too I take it then.

Yes, do you have a problem with that?

You're wrong. If someone picks him up, there are certain minimums at least they have to pay. Anything Ej is paid by another team, if he is cut, is reduced from the Bills cap and out lay. So if EJ is cut and someone pays him 2M a year then the Bills are off the hook for that 2m.

Well, if EJ sucks as much as you think, why someone pick him up, much less pay him $2mm?

$4.15m versus $1.20m is the comparison and $2.95m is not chump change as the OP would allude. The Bills are trying right now to free up enough cap space to get the deal done with Dareus. Notwithstanding the notion of cutting EJ, the Bills save $4.15m of this years cap by getting rid of Cassel, if they so choose. Nobody could convince me that that's NOT a decent chunk of money for what amounts to a 3rd string quarterback.

In 2015, Cassel would be the 3rd highest paid qb not anticipated to start, behind Chase Daniel and rg3

LOL. I literally laughed out loud. Good call.

Yes, do you have a problem with that?

If my wife was a football fan I would probably be a Colts/Broncos fan. She's got something for Peyton. Can't say I blame here.

"Chicken parm you taste so good"

So let me get this straight, he doesn't save $5mil, he only saves $4.15 mil? do I have that straight???

OK!!

Where I come from $4.15 mil is close enough to call it $5mil!! But hey yup you are correct!

The point was that everyone thinks cutting Cassel saves 5 million. It doesn't and the cost difference is minimal on cutting or trading either.