Edit: now confirmed rumor that Bills will release Cassel

eball

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. He was saying that Ryan has said that the best players will be kept irrespective of the position. I think it is not black and white. It is subjective and using that statement in a vaccum can distort an argument.

Yeah, I hear ya, but things get sidetracked quickly around here.

Is Bryce Brown better than Fred Jackson ?

Right now. For one game. No.

Rex all but said that.

In totality. Counting youth. Injury history. Salary. Contract. ST ability. Touches by McCoy. And other players on the roster... there is an argument to be made

I think the answer is no. But it's not as simple and not a no brainer.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I didn't say I believed him. You that if you are going to go by what he says you should look at all the relevant verbiage ... and to answer your question NO!

Precisely my point. I am not sure Ryan meant that literally and if he did, he is speaking half truths. I realize that the Ryan's honeymoon is still on-going but I still think it is worthwhile to not forget to be objective even with a new coach.

I think the answer is no. But it's not as simple and not a no brainer.

See above. Back to the topic, if Cassel is let go, it wont be because Simms is better. It will be to save money.

Cutting Cassel makes sense. No need to pay over 4 mill a season to a guy who averages 5.5 per attempt. Plus it will really piss off Schopp. Would love to here that windbags commentary if EJ somehow got on the field and threw for 400 yds in the reg season thought that would mean Tyrod got hurt and I'm certainly not hoping for that.

Maybe you can get something for EJ, but Cassel, why would anyone trade anything for him?

:wallbash: OBD did!

But you're right - I doubt he showed anything a team would give up a pick for. One downside to him only getting 4 drives in preseason.

See above. Back to the topic, if Cassel is let go, it wont be because Simms is better. It will be to save money.

Not JUST money - a ROSTER SPOT!! Simms can go to the P/S. That's huge when they have so many tough cuts to figure out.

Because he's better than half the Qbs in the league?

Say what?

In 2014 there were only about 8 QB's in the league worse than Cassel has been the last 5 years, and he's been worse than that the last 2 seasons

:wallbash: OBD did!

But you're right - I doubt he showed anything a team would give up a pick for. One downside to him only getting 4 drives in preseason.

Not JUST money - a ROSTER SPOT!! Simms can go to the P/S. That's huge when they have so many tough cuts to figure out.

Say what?

In 2014 there were only about 8 QB's in the league worse than Cassel has been the last 5 years, and he's been worse than that the last 2 seasons

We are talking about roster spots, which include backups and #3 quarterbacks included, not only starters.

This guy (in the OP) that tweeted this out could be legit. I went through his twitter timeline. He had this tweet before anyone else. He could have just gotten lucky, but who knows.

8/31 - 6:25am

Mitch Courtney ‏@Mitch_Courtney1

Tyrod Taylor will be named starter as early as Sunday. Ryan likes his "big play potential"

Glazer broke it at 8:26am

He also had one about Fred being cut but it was like 20 minutes after Carucci.

This guy (in the OP) that tweeted this out could be legit. I went through his twitter timeline. He had this tweet before anyone else. He could have just gotten lucky, but who knows.

8/31 - 6:25am

Mitch Courtney ‏@Mitch_Courtney1

Tyrod Taylor will be named starter as early as Sunday. Ryan likes his "big play potential"

Glazer broke it at 8:26am

He also had one about Fred being cut but it was like 20 minutes after Carucci.

Not sure why everyone is giving Glazer the nod as the guy who broke the story. Several people tweeted it earlier, if I remember correctly. But Glazer is the bigger name, and his tweet was the one later cited in the frenzy immediately following.

Not sure why everyone is giving Glazer the nod as the guy who broke the story. Several people tweeted it earlier, if I remember correctly. But Glazer is the bigger name, and his tweet was the one later cited in the frenzy immediately following.

Glazer was the only person I saw, probably for the reason you gave.

No, Glazer was the first.

they could be but Randell Johnson is Lawson's understudy and could replace him, and they could draft someone to take Harvin's place rather than pay him (like Braxton Miller if he shows the prowess - he will be in the PH role this year)

Plus we all ready have a tremendous amount of talent at WR.

So the question to be asked is if the 52nd player to make the roster is more valuable than Cassel at the QB position. And to a team without a undisputed starter, I would say the QB wins that marginal spot.

So the question to be asked is if the 52nd player to make the roster is more valuable than Cassel at the QB position. And to a team without a undisputed starter, I would say the QB wins that marginal spot.

I just don't think Cassel has any value once the decision was made he isn't the starter. Game plans for TT and EJ will be essentially the same, and you just can't go into a season anticipating two long-term QB injuries as a reason to occupy one of those 53 spots with a 4.5M 3rd stringer.

I just don't think Cassel has any value once the decision was made he isn't the starter. Game plans for TT and EJ will be essentially the same, and you just can't go into a season anticipating two long-term QB injuries as a reason to occupy one of those 53 spots with a 4.5M 3rd stringer.

Teams won't be afraid of EJ running the ball. He is more mobile than Cassel but he is not a running threat like Cam, Kap, Wilson , etc.

Teams won't be afraid of EJ running the ball. He is more mobile than Cassel but he is not a running threat like Cam, Kap, Wilson , etc.

4.65 40-yd dash -- he's an athlete and can certainly run the read option plays. Cassel can't. Roman wouldn't have to change the gameplan for EJ like he would for Cassel.

Anyone have any idea who is playing QB Thursday vs the Lions? They aren't really going to play Simms the whole game, are they? Will Cassel get a series or two?

Simms the whole game. Rex said so.