Edit: now confirmed rumor that Bills will release Cassel

eball

I'd be shocked. We gave up a 5th and a 7th in a trade for him. Maybe a trade to get something, even a 7th back. But with no veteran on team, it just wouldn't make sense.

Why do you say we have no veteran on the team. Taylor is in his 5th year & Manuel is going into his third year. They both should be considered vets to somewhat of a degree.

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the way from starting QB to perhaps 3rd string. In less than 1 year.

EJ may develop. He may not, but he's not developing fast enough to supplant a guy who's thrown less than 40 regular season passes.

Capital B, Capital S.

Extatic? Look, you guys need to put away your jump to conclusions mats for a second. Cassel was better than Manuel throughout camp according to everyone. Did EJ look great against Pittsburgh? Absolutely. Was that enough to convince the coaches that he can translate that play to the regular season and that Cassel- who only played FOUR SERIES and didn't even look that bad himself- is expendable? I guess we'll see.

The reality is that for 5 of the previous 6 seasons, Cassel has apparently looked good enough to be named the starter for the team he was on, only to flame-out +/- get injured. Again I have no idea what they saw in him when they were deciding on a QB to add other than he had 2 good seasons in the 7 since he first got playing time.

Id have the same opinion in April, and have complained about moving on from tjax waaaaaay to early for that reason, but at final cuts you have to make moves that go beyond simply worst case scenario. we cant commit 5m to a guy as a just in case to a just in case. theres a reason that literally no other team in the league will have a $5m third stringer. its advocating buying a bomb shelter at expense of putting meals on the table. how many spare tires do you load up on before hitting the road for important destinations?

if he were firmly number 2, and who knows, maybe he is.... itd be a different discussion.

I think that those that believe EJ is most likely going to fail(and is still not as good as Cassel) will find this logic difficult to comes to terms with.

I'm standing by the idea that they are willing to trade EJ for the right price, or cut Cassel when the next deadline hits.

But who would give anything for EJ except maybe a very late pick? He's a lot cheaper than MC so might as well keep him as backup. That has more value than a 6th round pick IMO.

Yup. Still an odd statement because a few of them are likely to be valuable contributors who the Bills would like to resign (I'm thinking Harvin and Lawson, for example).

The Bills can't re-sign Harvin if they want to keep their own guys. Harvin is here on basically a one year loan.

Id have the same opinion in April, and have complained about moving on from tjax waaaaaay to early for that reason, but at final cuts you have to make moves that go beyond simply worst case scenario. we cant commit 5m to a guy as a just in case to a just in case. theres a reason that literally no other team in the league will have a $5m third stringer. its advocating buying a bomb shelter at expense of putting meals on the table. how many spare tires do you load up on before hitting the road for important destinations?

if he were firmly number 2, and who knows, maybe he is.... itd be a different discussion.

How many teams in the history of the league have had both a 15 year playoff drought AND one of the best rosters in the league head to toe? I don't really care what everybody else decides- 4m is nothing compared to knowing we'll have competent quarterback play this year.

That kind of thinking gets you in trouble. You can't make the right move because (insert reason here.) They traded for Cassel to make sure they had a contingency plan. Plans change.

Yup...you need to make your decisions based on looking forward, not back.

Don't hold your losers hoping they make the money back -- move it to a better investment.

How about this scenario?

-Tyrod tears an ACL week 1

-EJ is shaky

It takes us one game to go from excitedly cutting the vet to realizing we just blew the playoff run over $4m we probably don't need.

I know it doesn't seem like it but I'm truly as high on Tyrod and EJ as the next guy- just don't understand the rush to remove the only known commodity at the most important position.

Ground and pound with Matt Simms? That is unless he didn't get run over by a truck and all the RBs don't tear knee ligaments, of course. Edited by YoloinOhio

So you disagree with me? You think if Garrapalo (sp?) was entering his second season on the Bills, Bills fans would be like, "yeah he is not as good as Matt Cassel." He was a second round pick himself and looked pretty decent when he played last season. Or do you think maybe, just maybe, Bills fans would encourage people to be patient and see if he can develop. But instead, I'm fighting a crusade because I called out a guy for declaring that Matt Cassel is "better" than Jimmy Garrapalo (sp?)

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I believe I'm in the minority with this opinion: Randell Johnson has looked terrible to me this preseason.

You are not. I thought he played well the first game but was atrocious vs Cleveland and was not great vs Pittsburgh either. For me he went from pretty sure of a roster spot to being on the bubble.

32 at his position is not old. It's not young, but 32 is not old. 34-35 is old. I think he is a critical piece for the Bills to resign at the right price for 2-3 years.

32 is not old for an NFL linebacker? I don't know about that one. Lawson has been around for quite awhile now.

I think that those that believe EJ is most likely going to fail(and is still not as good as Cassel) will find this logic difficult to comes to terms with.

if the coaching staff disagrees, they disagree though. we dont know that, but if they cut him it would seem pretty telling that it would be the case. im discussing this purely in a hypothetical that cassel is at 3 though (or completely even with EJ too, i suppose)

i dont see how anyone could put cassel substantially higher than EJ at this point though. maybe that youd pick cassel between the two if forced to choose.... but a wide gap?

Edited by NoSaint

So you disagree with me? You think if Garrapalo (sp?) was entering his second season on the Bills, Bills fans would be like, "yeah he is not as good as Matt Cassel." He was a second round pick himself and looked pretty decent when he played last season.

I would definitely say that, Metz, being the individual Bills fan that I am...

I'm also not afraid to say that Meh is just as good as EJ right now, arguably slightly better, but with less potential...obviously.

How is that BS? He lost out on the job to a guy who has thrown less than 40 career passes. What he said is factually correct.

Alright, but if Tyrod had not played exceptionally well, EJ would have won the competition and most everyone would have been pleased with his marked improvement.

It may be a matter of semantics, but I think it's better to say Taylor won rather than EJ lost. I think this is more accurate because EJ's performance in the pre-season games was exemplary. He could not have played much better.

Alright, but if Tyrod had not played exceptionally well, EJ would have won the competition and most everyone would have been pleased with his marked improvement.

It may be a matter of semantics, but I think it's better to say Taylor won rather than EJ lost. I think this is more accurate because EJ's performance in the pre-season games was exemplary. He could not have played much better.

Other than hitting tents, camera men, etc...

How about this scenario?

-Tyrod tears an ACL week 1

-EJ is shaky

It takes us one game to go from excitedly cutting the vet to realizing we just blew the playoff run over $4m we probably don't need.

I know it doesn't seem like it but I'm truly as high on Tyrod and EJ as the next guy- just don't understand the rush to remove the only known commodity at the most important position.

Then the Bills finish in a position to draft a better QB then originally planned

CBF