Fred Jackson expected to sign with Seattle(update-signed)

YoloinOhio

I get it. Almost every Bills fan loved Fred. He was one of my favorites through a decade of yuck. But the bleeding hearts already...stop. Nobody is bigger than what's best for the team. Some have said they hope he wins the SB this year if he goes to Seattle? Why? I wish him well, but I'm always for the Buffalo Bills to win. For the fans, for the region, for the team. Good luck Fred. Thanks for your efforts. Now let's go Buffalo!! We want the Superbowl!

Yeah, somehow all that rah rah stuff's just falling a little flat right now.

I mostly root for laundry, but there are a few players that I have grown to like and root for (I assume most nfl players are borderline sociopaths and wouldn't want to know them). Fred is one of the few, and it takes a tin ear to think that cutting him can be pawned off as "part of the biz" of football. He is beloved in Buffalo, far more than Thomas, Reed, and Smith were when they were cut (none of whom were lovable). Also, the Bills didn't have to do it. He is likely still a better player than both Dixon (who had a significant injury, btw!) and the guy the head coach dogged publicly all spring (Brown). Basically, I see no downside to keeping him. None. Throw the fans a bone, for chrissake. The Bills weren't going to lose more games with Jackson on the roster, and they aren't going to win more with Dixon and/or Brown.

It's done, of course, and it's time to move on. But it was a stupid move. The apologists for the brain trust will surely rationalize away, but I have little interest in their views on this issue.

Well said. No matter how I see it rationalized it still feels like a slap in the face.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, somehow all that rah rah stuff's just falling a little flat right now.

Well said. No matter how I see it rationalized it still feels like a slap in the face.

I very much apreciate the recent posts in this thread. I won't add anything further because it's all been very well said. The dancing on Freddy's grave comments have made me sick, and the FO apologists have made me even sicker. There really is no excuse for what was done to Freddy, and I will not soon forgive the GM you all know I blame for it.

Anyway, thank you to those who said what needed to be said.

I'm still trying to rationalize this move with the separation of the big three in 2000, and of course there are few similarities, but the biggest difference is that Bills were owned by a different owner at the time and the contacts of the big three were a huge concern. Yet even that Bills team offered a spot for the veterans at a reduced salary. The players didn't accept, and it was their choice. But Phillips and Butler knew that the big three at their advanced age were still better than the other back ups.

That's the case here. Fred Jackson is better than the backups. He just costs more. Did the Bills ask him to play at a lower cost?

You may see Seattle in the Super Bowl, but still a long ways for him to still be on the team. Not knocking Fred but his best chance at still being with Seattle in Super Bowl is on IR list.

Your first sentence. Fair.

Second sentence. That's knocking him.

I'm still trying to rationalize this move with the separation of the big three in 2000, and of course there are few similarities, but the biggest difference is that Bills were owned by a different owner at the time and the contacts of the big three were a huge concern. Yet even that Bills team offered a spot for the veterans at a reduced salary. The players didn't accept, and it was their choice. But Phillips and Butler knew that the big three at their advanced age were still better than the other back ups.

That's the case here. Fred Jackson is better than the backups. He just costs more. Did the Bills ask him to play at a lower cost?

It appears they did not.

The word from Seattle (as of this moment....sports news hasn't come on yet)...Pete Carroll still insisting it's a visit, not a signing. They have salary cap issues, and I wonder what they'll offer Fred, IF they make an offer. And interestingly enough, or perhaps not, the Seahawk fan base isn't particularly excited - of course most of them are so new to football they never heard of Fred before today and don't know Lynch came here from Buffalo.

So it's not a done deal. I hate the Seahawks and root for them to lose, it would be hard if Fred were part of the team.

What are you talking about?

There are five stages of grief, denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. To me, too many people went straight to acceptance. The rest of us stuck on anger (me at first, at depression now) or bargaining (petition) were told to GTF over it. If you've accepted it, please give the rest of us hung up in the process a break.

There are five stages of grief, denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. To me, too many people went straight to acceptance. The rest of us stuck on anger (me at first, at depression now) or bargaining (petition) were told to GTF over it. If you've accepted it, please give the rest of us hung up in the process a break.

Yeah, this about sums it up. At least he didn't go to the Pats, now all I want is for him to get a one day contract when he's finally ready and retire as a Bill.

I'd like for just one person to truthfully say they didn't watch Fred's run in the 1st quarter on Saturday and think, "good lord, he looks like he's running in quicksand."

Exactly! The OL, 2 TE's & WRs blocked tremendously on the play. Cudos to Fred for seeing the hole and cutting back, but then it took forever for him to get to sideline and down the field! Hell, YOU could have scored untouched on that play, eball!

Salary aside (we'll never know the real answer to that question), my assumption is they think there is real long term value in at least one of the two current vet backups such that they didn't want to lose them, as there is obviously a numbers game at the RB position. I still think Brown has a future. The Bills are trying to build a long-term winner, this isn't (hopefully) a one year window. Final cuts will be interesting.

But yeah, I agree. There are going to be times I'm wishing it was Freddie lining up in the backfield.

Exactly! The OL, 2 TE's & WRs blocked tremendously on the play. Cudos to Fred for seeing the hole and cutting back, but then it took forever for him to get to sideline and down the field! Hell, YOU could have scored untouched on that play, eball!

You're discounting the extent to which he set up those blocks.

For all of those that are bitching and moaning about the fact that Fred Jackson is gone or how he's gone, I ask a simple favor. Dial your memories back to the 1999 Buffalo Bills team. Remember? Thurman Thomas was getting nicked up a bit and they had youngsters Jonathan Linton and Antoine Smith getting the bulk of the carries. Of all teams, Thurman leaves the Bills and goes to the Miami Dolphins. The damned FISH! We are all sitting here like this front office has done something different than any front office in the history of the team. They haven't. Fred was loved by the fans, but I don't think that anyone would say that they appreciated what he did for the team more so than Thurman. We as fans, of course, live in the moment. It's tough to see one of our warriors go. I think though if we put this into the proper context, it's not really all that big of a deal.

How old are you newb?[/quote

49. Been a fan since the early seventies. Had the time of my life as a single twenty something guy during the early 90's run. Went to the fourth Super bowl in Atlanta. Very grateful that the Pegulas bought the team and that it will hopefully be here till I die. Proud life long Buffalonian. Love the area and everything it has to offer. Love the Sabres. Think the future is bright here on all fronts

I'd like for just one person to truthfully say they didn't watch Fred's run in the 1st quarter on Saturday and think, "good lord, he looks like he's running in quicksand."

I quite clearly remember being on this board two preseasons ago proclaiming i thought FJax should be cut then. I also remember about 5 weeks into the season saying he was our MVP...so i get that i dont know know chit from shinola when it comes to some of these guys. So yes, to me he looked slow, but hes looked slow to me for 5 years LOL.

Still this move has me, not pissed,, just a tad less excited for the season. I am sure come Monday, that 100% excitement will return, but it will be a few days.

I quite clearly remember being on this board two preseasons ago proclaiming i thought FJax should be cut then. I also remember about 5 weeks into the season saying he was our MVP...so i get that i dont know know chit from shinola when it comes to some of these guys. So yes, to me he looked slow, but hes looked slow to me for 5 years LOL.

Still this move has me, not pissed,, just a tad less excited for the season. I am sure come Monday, that 100% excitement will return, but it will be a few days.

I'll stand behind my recent (i.e., within the last two years) posts regarding Fred...I've said repeatedly that he appeared to have lost his legs and that would be the key as to whether he's still of any use.

I own a Fred jersey and a FredEx Delivers t-shirt. In 2011 he looked like he could be on his way to an MVP season. Love the guy.

I have no problems with this decision. I'm done with valuing the "good guys" on the team over winning football games.