Why was Freddy cut?

negativo

123 members have voted

1. 1. The decision to cut Freddy was...

• Whaley's to save face on Bryce Brown that Rex begrudgingly went along with
    • A unanimous decision by the front office and coaches
    • Something else...

I believe the decision to cut Freddy was Whaley's attempt to save face on his failed trade for Bryce Brown. I believe Whaley's ego got in the way of the best interests of the football team. I say Rex signed off on it because he had bigger fish to fry than backup RB, most notably starting the QB he brought in over Whaley's top pick EJ Manuel.

It was a trade of sorts. Whaley gave up EJ, Rex caved on Freddy, and then they both made nice with Papa Terry.

It is what it is, but the decision letting Freddy go to keep Bryce was an awful, pig-headed one.

Edited by negativo

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Fred and wish he could have retired as a Bills player, but he has been often injured the last two or three years and he has lost a step. Really wuish they would have kept him, but I understand why they did not.

He obviously could not perform for the new coaching regime. I think he's still got a little juice left in the tank. Why do I sense Bill Bellichek will be calling him?

Belichek is also know for being pretty ruthless when it comes to releasing star players a year too soon as opposed to a year too late, but if he does sign Jackson, it won't be for $2.5 million.

I believe there is more to it. I think Freddy is a vocal guy in the locker room and if the coaches were planning on reducing Fred's role and making him a third stringer, I'm sure that would not have gone over well with Fred and he would have been vocal about that displeasure.

Fred has been a strong voice over a very bad period of football for the Bills. It's possible he became too comfortable with losing. Whatever it was, I just don't think Rex wanted him around. It was rumored that Fred's days were numbered as soon as Rex was hired.

I believe there is more to it. I think Freddy is a vocal guy in the locker room and if the coaches were planning on reducing Fred's role and making him a third stringer, I'm sure that would not have gone over well with Fred and he would have been vocal about that displeasure.

Fred has been a strong voice over a very bad period of football for the Bills. It's possible he became too comfortable with losing. Whatever it was, I just don't think Rex wanted him around. It was rumored that Fred's days were numbered as soon as Rex was hired.

So my take home message from this post is:

1. Fred comfortable with losing

2. Fred would be a bad locker room presence.

Can I nominate this for most ridiculous (dumbest) post of the he day?

Fred Jackson - locker room cancer.. :lol:

Age and cash. The other guys were younger, less expensive and play special teams.

I think it was a bad move as nobody is going to replace his pass blocking, overall usefulness and leadership. People keep mentioning his speed, who cares? He was never a speed guy yet he always managed to find holes and fall forward for gains. Every team could use a guy like that, even at his age.