Why was Freddy cut?

negativo

123 members have voted

1. 1. The decision to cut Freddy was...

• Whaley's to save face on Bryce Brown that Rex begrudgingly went along with
    • A unanimous decision by the front office and coaches
    • Something else...

Unfortunately, age has a way of catching up quickly at the RB position. The performance drop off from one year to the next can be pretty dramatic. Also, I think the new coaching staff wants to go younger.

Everybody loves Freddy, including the coaching staff I'm sure. I'm sure it was a hard decision that nobody felt good about. But there is very little room for sentimentality in the NFL. Ultimately it's a business decision.

Teams make these kinds of decisions all the time, we just don't notice it until it's our team.

Was it the right decision? We'll find out this season.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nearly impossible to believe that Whaley trading for Brown had nothing to do with healthy Freddy being cut and injured, fumbling, soft, lost Brown being kept. Considering Rex has done nothing but bash Brown and say positive things about Freddy, it doesn't require a tinfoil hat to do the math here.

So you're just wearing the hat for fashion, not its math enhancing qualities?

It's nearly impossible to believe that Whaley trading for Brown had nothing to do with healthy Freddy being cut and injured, fumbling, soft, lost Brown being kept. Considering Rex has done nothing but bash Brown and say positive things about Freddy, it doesn't require a tinfoil hat to do the math here.

This argument will have lost all of its steam when brown is cut next week. Freddie wasn't ahead of McCoy or Karlos. After that there is one spot, preferably for a guy who will do special teams too.

Freddie was given the courtesy of an advance disposition, when he obviously would have hung on based on football merit until at least the final cut down. My money says Brown isn't making this team.

They may have even have given him a choice- we don't know...(now or later)

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Why is this a thread that isn't closed yet? Can I post a thread about how the illumati are behind the decision to start tyrod and keep the bills out of the playoffs for 15 years?

Yeah, how dare the mods permit a theead with opinions differing from yours.

Edited by negativo

Special teams, special teams and special teams

that's got to be the reason

the 2.5 M cap saving is a joke, but it's a move I would not have made.

He could retire at the end of season and lifetime Bill, but Rex has other ideas.

pathetic!

Age and cash. The other guys were younger, less expensive and play special teams.

I think it was a bad move as nobody is going to replace his pass blocking, overall usefulness and leadership. People keep mentioning his speed, who cares? He was never a speed guy yet he always managed to find holes and fall forward for gains. Every team could use a guy like that, even at his age.

and Karlos Williams might be a better goal line RB than Fred.

I believe the decision to cut Freddy was Whaley's attempt to save face on his failed trade for Bryce Brown. I believe Whaley's ego got in the way of the best interests of the football team. I say Rex signed off on it because he had bigger fish to fry than backup RB, most notably starting the QB he brought in over Whaley's top pick EJ Manuel.

It was a trade of sorts. Whaley gave up EJ, Rex caved on Freddy, and then they both made nice with Papa Terry.

It is what it is, but the decision letting Freddy go to keep Bryce was an awful, pig-headed one.

Doesn't have to do with saving face. That just makes no sense.

Add an option for awful talent evaluation by the FO and that would get my vote.

This. If Bryce Brown isn't cut for the 53 man roster, then you have a lack of focus and commitment to win from the front office. Fred has never cost us a win in his carreer In Buffalo but Bryce has. Moronic move IMHO.

This. If Bryce Brown isn't cut for the 53 man roster, then you have a lack of focus and commitment to win from the front office. Fred has never cost us a win in his carreer In Buffalo but Bryce has. Moronic move IMHO.

Painting a guy for one mistake, albeit a big one. Try to look past that fumble and look at the player.