Rapid Reaction - 10 Observations About Tonight’s Game

Rapid Reaction - 10 Observations About Tonight’s Game

10) Not since the “Counterfeit Bills” that took the field for 3 ugly games during the 1987 NFL player’s strike have so many soon-to-be McDonald’s fry cooks taken the field for the red, white and blue in a sanctioned league game.

Who would have thought that all 5 of the top running backs and the 3 best receivers would all be on the shelf by the second preseason game? Hey NFL, it’s time to seriously consider pruning the exhibition season down to two games, don’t you think?

9) I really like Deonte Thompson. He looks to be a crisp route runner and has that mind set that any ball in the air is his ball that the great wide receivers all seem to possess. With the shaky state of Sammy’s glut and Percey’s hip a door has opened for a young receiver to step through - so far Deonte is seizing the opportunity to make the 53-man roster.

8) Pay Marcell Dareus. The big man is a rare talent who can both stymie the run game and get after the passer with great tenacity. Recent reports are that contract talks between Dareus’ agent and the Bills have reached a stalemate.

There is still a lot of time to get a deal done, but a multi-faceted 25 year-old DT just entering his prime is the guy you want to shower with Pegula bucks.

7) It was nice to see Ronald Darby get the two picks tonight. He got torched both on the field and in the next day’s newspapers last week when the Bills purposely put him on an island against a very good NFL receiver. Despite that, I felt his form was good last week and that he would use the game as a learning tool.

This week he got called for an early pass interference peanlty, but quickly made amends by flipping the field on two possessions. He looks like a kid that has a nose for the ball and I think he and Gilmore are going to be a formidable tandem that will make some noise this season.

6) It was great to see Dan Carpenter back tonight. Even though he clanked his first kick off of the upright, he has quickly become one of the most beloved Bills.

Dan the Man has that North Dallas Forty throwback vibe that just makes you exhale when he lines up for a kick while thinking, it’s going through man, right down the middle.

5) I really can’t wait to watch our front four turn it loose for real in a few weeks. I have a feeling that they are going to break the sack records that they set two years ago.

I also think that Jerry Hughes might make a run at Bruce’s single-season Bills sack record. Yeah, I said it.

4) Bye-Bye, EJ.

Yeah, Manuel looked good on the winning possession while driving the team to a TD and 2-point conversion. But was it too little too late? Prior to that drive EJ had a horrible night that looked like a guy begging for a ticket out of town.

Sure EJ was in with 2nd and 3rd stringers and, at times, was being blitz-protected by a running back that was signed only yesterday. Still, he continually exhibited a trait that he has shown throughout his career - he doesn’t properly set his feet before throwing the ball. At this point, it is evident that he is incapable of correcting that fatal flaw.

I don’t know where Manuel will be on opening weekend, but I’m pretty sure it won’t be in the house that Ralph built.

3) Who in the hell are Mario Butler, Merrill Noel and Cedric Reed, you ask? They are young defensive players who just keep making plays during camp and in preseason games.

I don’t know if any or all of them will end up on the final roster or the practice squad, but I do know that they are taking full advantage of the shot they’ve been given.

Are your ears ringing Dez Lewis?

2) The new distance for extra points will take a little getting used to. Did the kick-after-touchdown really need fixing? Also, what’s the story with the gold numbers on the 50?

I guess I’m a purist, just give me white letters and leave the gold-lamé to Broadway.

1) If I’m making the call Tyrod leap-frogged Cassel tonight in the race to be the opening day QB. He made numerous 3rd down conversions with pinpoint passes to move the sticks.

He hung in the pocket and made good reads and ran effectively in limited spots. He also threw a nice fade to Thompson that could easily have gone for 6.

All in all it was a very good night for a guy playing with scrub receivers and backs.

It is the political season: Tippecanoe and Tyrod, too?

Hey, a win is a win and 11-10 is a great baseball score in August to get the first “W” of the Rex Ryan era. Just keep everyone healthy and let’s get to September already.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ will be on the 53. I have no doubt about that. Not sure where he'll stack up, but #3 will be there when the Bills face Luck and the Horseshoes.

@MatthewFairburn

My thoughts on the Bills' QBs against the Browns tonight http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/08/buffalo_bills_vs_cleveland_browns_quarterback_takeaways.html

EJ Manuel

For the second straight week it was near impossible to judge EJ Manuel for most of his reps because of the talent around him. The Bills' second-team offensive line had a brutal performance, making life tough on Manuel right from the snap. That said, Manuel, at times, looked comfortable avoiding pressure and stepping up in the pocket. He also delivered a few decent intermediate throws with the timing he has lacked. The drive he put together at the end of the game was once of his best this offseason. He finished it off with a strike to Andre Davis for a touchdown Manuel was 9-14 for 111 yards and a touchdown. Through two weeks of preseason games, he has done just about everything he can do to keep himself in this race.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I like your take and also want to see EJ make the team. I was at The Ralph at an NFL Event the night he was drafted so want to see the 1st Rounder make it right.

He worked hard the off season and has more upside than Matt, the King of the Cassel, who is a Great Game Manager but lacks the Spark of our younger QBs.

Also - WGR was reporting Cassel's overall TD to Interception ratio looks good but is skewed by success from earlier years - has not done as well recently.

At any rate - its only Pre Season but I was happy how hard they played, got a win, especially with so many Skill Players down.

The gold 50 yard line celebrates Superbowl L coming up this year. Will be on every field in the league all year, apparently.

Dareus is quickly becoming one of the most dominant defensive players in the league; he will be retained long term. Following the ins and outs of the negotiations is silly.

I agree the coaching staff has moved on beyond EJ, though he is likely to be retained as QB 3.

I think Darby will be fine as well; his positioning is solid and he has a head for the position. The rest is a learning curve that he will master given time.

Who would have thought that all 5 of the top running backs and the 3 best receivers would all be on the shelf by the second preseason game? Hey NFL, it’s time to seriously consider pruning the exhibition season down to two games, don’t you think?

Most of our guys were hurt in camp and if we only had two exhibition games we would be missing half the offense when the season starts. We're pretty lucky to still have a few weeks before opening kickoff.

Edited by Acantha

Taylor is a one-trick pony. EJ is a real NFL QB that can both pass from the pocket and run. Even if someone isn't sold on EJ, they should realize Taylor is not the answer.

I saw you mention this in the shoutbox, and I have to disagree. Taylor made several big league throws tonight. The type of throws that people were clamoring to see from him.

I saw you mention this in the shoutbox, and I have to disagree. Taylor made several big league throws tonight. The type of throws that people were clamoring to see from him.

He did also tuck and run too early at least once and he dove into a defender leading with his throwing shoulder.

Tyrod is intriguing but he's going to get himself killed.

Hopefully Carpenter can handle kick-offs. We need that extra roster spot.

But Jordan Gay was a captain tonight!

Taylor is a one-trick pony. EJ is a real NFL QB that can both pass from the pocket and run. Even if someone isn't sold on EJ, they should realize Taylor is not the answer.

I don't get what the hype is surrounding Taylor, outside of his Johnny Manziel scrambling ability, I have not been impressed. Has he even thrown a TD in preseason games? Compare his, and EJs numbers during the two games, and consider EJ has been playing with scrubs. Edited by DirtDart

He certainly needs to learn to slide, without a doubt. But he did not perform like a 'one trick pony'.

I mostly liked what I saw - definitely reassured about our QBs going into the season - but I also wasn't wowed by anything he did either. Really mobile, good throws on the run, but it didn't feel like a lock-down performance. I think EJ should get a chance with the 1's before we annoint TT. Dude was inspiring. The audible at the line and the beautiful TD was a veteran-like play.

You're nuts if you think EJ was bad tonight. If anything he earned a spot as at least the #3.

I'm slowly starting to buy into Tyrod.

Really? Was he not perfect enough for you? The T-mobile era began today. There isn't even a question for me.