Wawrow Article Indicates EJ Sees Wall's Writing

You may be right. I don't try to read between the lines too much with these snippets of quotes. And I do agree that some members of the media try to push a certain story line instead of just reporting the facts. Joe B is the worst, IMO.

I'd like to hear that interview myself, but it does seem that he's just saying "I'm taking care of business and things will work themselves out."

First of all, if they have decided to give Tyrod a start, why would anyone expect things to be different for EJ this week? Of course Tyrod is going to play with the ones. He has to prepare as if he is playing with the ones. He's going to start. And is it a surprise that Cassel wasn't rotated down to the threes? I think it is a given that they want to keep a veteran around, even if he is safe and not terribly exciting. So how is EJ supposed to move up this week? They did give EJ reps with the twos today.

The big question will be after this next preseason game, what happens? If EJ is still with the threes and there is no start for him in the 3rd game, I think then we know. But even then, why is it presumed that they will cut him? The media just can't wait to see EJ get whacked. So many people invested in being right. I think they are nuts if they cut him. Cassel has been hurt a lot over the past few seasons. I like Tyrod, but I am not sold on him being a permanent solution. I like him as a change of pace guy, but it remains to be seen whether he can be a true starter in this league. And he plays a dangerous style as well.

Edited by BuffaloBob

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure he said that, but that doesn't include what he told The AP after he spoke to the rest of the media.

jw

The full story is out. He was asked if he felt his day's were numbered, and this is the response he gave.

He was then asked if he has thought of "somewhere else," and his response is included in the full version of the piece.

jw

I'm so sick of your anti-EJ agenda JW!! I'm officially crossing you off of the dwindling list of respectable Bills journalists.

First of all, if they have decided to give Tyrod a start, why would anyone expect things to be different for EJ this week? Of course Tyrod is going to play with the ones. He has to prepare as if he is playing with the ones. He's going to start. And is it a surprise that Cassel wasn't rotated down to the threes? I think it is a given that they want to keep a veteran around, even if he is safe and not terribly exciting. So how is EJ supposed to move up this week? They did give EJ reps with the twos today.

The big question will be after this next preseason game, what happens? If EJ is still with the threes and there is no start for him in the 3rd game, I think then we know. But even then, why is it presumed that they will cut him? The media just can't wait to see EJ get whacked. So many people invested in being right. I think they are nuts if they cut him. Cassel has been hurt a lot over the past few seasons. I like Tyrod, but I am not sold on him being a permanent solution. I like him as a change of pace guy, but it remains to be seen whether he can be a true starter in this league. And he plays a dangerous style as well.

Yeah and his legs will wear some toward the end of the year. He still has some accuracy problems. As much as E.J. The Browns game will tell some more.

Answers always matter most in the context of the questions that are asked. Sees "the writing on the wall" implies it's a done deal. Acknowledging the coaching staff/FO might not have a roster spot for him is making an honest statement about the appearance of the practice rotation.

We were told in the Spring by Rex that they were likely to keep 3 QBs. Although that could be including Simms on the PS who was brought in since.

We heard that Whaley was talking up EJ during the hiring process and Rex mentioned a need to "develop EJ" when he was hired. Almost implying that he didn't think EJ would be ready but there was a longer term plan for him.

My opinion: Show me anything that says EJ has produced less than the typical young NFL QB. Make any case that Matt Cassel has been a more productive NFL QB over his last 3 seasons (something like 6W and 12L, only 6 of those 18 with a tQBR of 50+) than EJ has (6 and 8, with 8 of those 14 games with a tQBR of 50+) in his first two seasons. You have to go back to 2011 to find a time when Matt Cassel played decently in 3 consecutive games. I do not feel good about putting this season in Matt Cassel's hands.

Answers always matter most in the context of the questions that are asked. Sees "the writing on the wall" implies it's a done deal. Acknowledging the coaching staff/FO might not have a roster spot for him is making an honest statement about the appearance of the practice rotation.

We were told in the Spring by Rex that they were likely to keep 3 QBs. Although that could be including Simms on the PS who was brought in since.

We heard that Whaley was talking up EJ during the hiring process and Rex mentioned a need to "develop EJ" when he was hired. Almost implying that he didn't think EJ would be ready but there was a longer term plan for him.

My opinion: Show me anything that says EJ has produced less than the typical young NFL QB. Make any case that Matt Cassel has been a more productive NFL QB over his last 3 seasons (something like 6W and 12L, only 6 of those 18 with a tQBR of 50+) than EJ has (6 and 8, with 8 of those 14 games with a tQBR of 50+) in his first two seasons. You have to go back to 2011 to find a time when Matt Cassel played decently in 3 consecutive games. I do not feel good about putting this season in Matt Cassel's hands.

Shake of the dice.

I missed this:

@john_wawrow

More to come: Speaking to AP, #Bills QB Manuel doesn't dispute possibility his days in Buffalo might be numbered. pro32.ap.org/article/manuel…

I guess it's this. JW asks if its a possibility. EJ thinks/says that it's not his decision, but he could see why the QB practice rotation might make it seem like that could be the case because he's not an idiot.

damn this is getting weird> some folks are getting weird and the Buffalo media is just a bunch of asshats. I mean c'mon people. The Bills will sort this out. when whomever they pick catches on fire and runs helplessly into the woods we can a get all " same old BIlls" But till then can we just have some fun?

Can We ?

Just let them play it out< the Coaches call the rotation> then the media and the fans try to decipher the secret codes within. and dick it all up twist it turn it like the telephone game

Why do h\ any of us fans need to know THE answer yet! It will be given in proper time. There is no one else to pick up anyways why cant we root for all of them to improve and stay on the team.

WHY DO WE HAVE TO DECIDE!!!
I am getting a bit upset with our group here being manipulated by the media.

Its not fun anymore

eric

I'm so sick of your anti-EJ agenda JW!! I'm officially crossing you off of the dwindling list of respectable Bills journalists.

I am sick of any "anti" agenda by now Kirby.

Edited by 3rdand12

I'm dumbfounded that a team would draft a guy 16th, play him 14 times under a coach who was in over his head, and then cut him. If you're willing to do that, what does that say about scouting? Not just the Bills GMs but a lot of GMs hinge their jobs on making risky selections of QBs way too early. It's a double-edge sword, if you pass on a guy who turns out, you're fired. If you do draft one and miss on him, you're fired. Teams just continue over and over to a) have zero patience to develop a QB and b) overdraft them. Those two concepts... no patience and overdrafting are counterproductive to stabilizing the position. We've witnessed it for 15 years. As long as you over draft and have no patience, it's a revolving door of draft failures sprinkled with FA and trade failures. Look at this team since Kelly.

I'm dumbfounded that a team would draft a guy 16th, play him 14 times under a coach who was in over his head, and then cut him. If you're willing to do that, what does that say about scouting? Not just the Bills GMs but a lot of GMs hinge their jobs on making risky selections of QBs way too early. It's a double-edge sword, if you pass on a guy who turns out, you're fired. If you do draft one and miss on him, you're fired. Teams just continue over and over to a) have zero patience to develop a QB and b) overdraft them. Those two concepts... no patience and overdrafting are counterproductive to stabilizing the position. We've witnessed it for 15 years. As long as you over draft and have no patience, it's a revolving door of draft failures sprinkled with FA and trade failures. Look at this team since Kelly.

I would consider Nix felt considerable pressure to get a QB. which was overdue IMHO.

Fan pressure does have some value in the equation. Fitz was not the answer and Bills should drafted well before they gave him that contract.

Owners need to reverse the trend and think long term. There are other ways to draw fans.

Look at the Bills. Record sales. and we have no defined QB at all :flirt:

This is just a ripple in the pool. For better or for worse he offers this team more then the other three candidates. Cassel is limited but a game manager who can avoid losing games but will be no more better then Orton. Simms is the QB you'd keep on the PS or as the 3rd on most teams. And Taylor is a flash in the pan and succeeding because its easy to tuck the ball and run when still learning the offense.

To me, I have yet to voice an opinion, but if i am voting for a QB here I am saying none of the above. Brewsters Millions style.

I agree with you but apparently we are a small minority.

I am with you. Everyone here seems to hate at least 1 of the guys. In a few short weeks we are going to have to check the agendas and cheer for whoever is taking snaps.

I hope we can all cheer for whomever gets the call. even if its Cassel . lol

I agree with you but apparently we are a small minority.

Bills are in a tough spot at QB for sure.

Trust in Roman is all we can do for now.

You either develop your own QB and help make him great or you just play the lottery on randomly finding the savior. Even high 1st round QB picks often do not work out. You need to get people in place who know wtf they're doing and train a young prospect to reach his potential.

Everyone who is just frothing at the mouth over cutting EJ is apparently hoping for lightning to strike for the Bills like it did for the Pats with Brady. Andrew Luck was the ONLY guaranteed prospect since Peyton frickin Manning. We're talking 2 guys in 20 years. Everyone else was a project in their own way.

There's a great chance Winston and Marriota will NOT be franchise QB's. So what say you, people who can't wait to see EJ cut? Just draft QB's year after year and give them no time to learn the position, just hoping to find a hidden gem? Yeah, great plan.

I agree with this one, too.

I do get the sense that the team is leaning towards (hoping for?) Tyrod to excel in practices and the game this week, which would make their decision easier. That said, I also think there is definitely a realistic chance that it goes the other way. If TT struggles (as he did today), doesn't play very well in Thursday's game, and then EJ is actually given a week's turn with the 1s for the following game and does reasonably well....

I'm so sick of your anti-JW agenda, and belief that you're capable of guessing i have any type of agenda. i'm officially crossing you off my short list of people on this board.

jw

Edited by john wawrow