Ronald Darby - how will he do?

It's an interesting question though. Despite the injury risk it might make sense to give Darby some more reps. Then again, if they do that, they're essentially telegraphing to Indy that he needs work. I don't know. My gut says he won't play, and Rex/Thurman are working on their plan to "protect" him against the Colts.

yep, my guess is they are full speed ahead on Colts prep with him in practice.

The 4th PS game is such a joke. I get that there are guys vying for spots but the teams know who they are keeping by now. The cuts come the day after the game. Just give the teams 2 weeks between the preseason and reg season and scrap the last PS game.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep, my guess is they are full speed ahead on Colts prep with him in practice.

The 4th PS game is such a joke. I get that there are guys vying for spots but the teams know who they are keeping by now. The cuts come the day after the game. Just give the teams 2 weeks between the preseason and reg season and scrap the last PS game.

Or let them keep the rosters at 90 until after the 4th game.

No more concerned now than when we picked him. Same issues with him as I had at FSU. I'm not going to trash the kid for being who I knew he was.

The way I figure it, his best chance to learn is with Donnie Henderson. If he can learn, he will. Let's just hope McKelvin Jr doesn't take 4-5 years to get it.

It takes time for CBs and QBs to develop. Darby has good potential for Henderson to work with.

It will be difficult with more taller WRs to cover 1 on 1 . Nice to have a Richard Sherman tall CB , 5th rd

The Bills really need to expand the scouting dept.

Edited by ALF

Lot of hype with naming Tmobile the starter and FJ's release.

My concern is still the cornerback position.

Anybody else worried?

Rex was wrong about Dee Milliner.

Could he be wrong about Darby too?

i am not sure Rex was "wrong" about Milliner because we don't know if it was his decision to draft him. Reportedly he didn't have much say in the draft picks. There have also been at least two players that he said he pounded the table for and the Jets did not draft (Alshon and Martavis Bryant) and was fully against and they did (Stephen Hill).

Related, Sal said on radio this morning that to his knowledge, Darby was "largely" a Whaley pick, not a Rex pick. Is that to say Rex didn't approve or he wasn't Rex's choice? I would certainly not assume that at all. But Whaley makes the decision on the pick, not Rex.

It's an interesting question though. Despite the injury risk it might make sense to give Darby some more reps. Then again, if they do that, they're essentially telegraphing to Indy that he needs work. I don't know. My gut says he won't play, and Rex/Thurman are working on their plan to "protect" him against the Colts.

I could be wrong here, but believe you will see significant safety help on Darby's side during the game, while they ask Gilmore to cover T.Y. man to man.

Darby is probably working night and day on preparing for the Colts game and playing on Thursday would not be of any particular benefit. I agree with everyone on the learning curve issue and we are going to have to give the guy space. I suspect there is defensive game planning going on to give him some help against Indianapolis. We've been through this with every rookie cornerback since Winfield and clements so let's root for him and watch him grow into the job.

There is much to be excited about and much to be concerned about. My concerns are Carpenter missing field goals/extra points, penalties, Darby and the health of McCoy, Watkins, Harvin, Woods, Gilmore and our up and coming young RB Williams even though he's a limited touch back. I'm also concerned about all the pass interference calls regardless of leaving the corner backs on an island there is no need for that and we had a bunch last year so things didn't improve there, they've got to get their heads around. Funny how a bunch of people hated McKelvin and wanted him gone, but now wish he were back. McKelvin is a very good corner, gets limited penalties and is always in a good position, he just needs to make better plays on the ball which he improved on last year. Him and Marcel being out this opening game is really going to hurt us.

The things I'm excited about is our new offense. The offensive line seems to be much improved giving the QB's time and opening lanes in the running game. Tyrod seems to create plays when needed and sit in the pocket when needed. We should be putting up 3 touchdowns a game at a Min. I could see us putting up 24- 30 points against Indy but who knows if that will be enough.

There are several lessons from Darby's struggles in his first three outings

1. Darby has some definite failings in his play that the coaches will have to cover for and that Darby will need to work on to become a solid vet. These problems are not surprising for a rookie nor fatal if he has good teammates and coaches. Darby cannot be left on an island against a good receiver and a good QB. The coaches will need to have Gilmore and it is to be hoped a recovered McKelvin take on the opponents top 2 WRs. If McKelvin is injured, the Bills will need to use double-teams or if both are hurt move safety Graham back to CB from safety.

Darby cannot be counted upon to cover a top WR on an island on his own, but I have no problem having him covering the slot or the opponents #3.

2. This is true because Darby has some positives about his game as seen by his 2 INTS. He can have good ball awareness as shown by some good coverage by him in preseason practice.

However, when thrown to the wolves in preseason games.

Darby can be covered for as he learns to become a vet, but it is clear that though he was our first choice he is not a 1st round talent. A solid starter quality eventually but not an immediate shut down starter.

Darby's PI penalties are a concern. He needs to learn what he can and when he can get away with playing on the edge of the rules. The positive side of the penalties, if there is one, is that he's stuck like glue most of the time to the receivers so this to me demonstrates pretty good coverage skills. He's not getting faked out of his shorts so he has a good comprehension of route running and coverage technique. He's got great closing speed. The downside is his height when matched up with taller receivers. If he can adjust his game to turn his head and play the ball he can be a solid corner. He might be in for a rough go week one because you know he's going to get picked and I expect they'll roll some coverage help his way.

There are several lessons from Darby's struggles in his first three outings

1. Darby has some definite failings in his play that the coaches will have to cover for and that Darby will need to work on to become a solid vet. These problems are not surprising for a rookie nor fatal if he has good teammates and coaches. Darby cannot be left on an island against a good receiver and a good QB. The coaches will need to have Gilmore and it is to be hoped a recovered McKelvin take on the opponents top 2 WRs. If McKelvin is injured, the Bills will need to use double-teams or if both are hurt move safety Graham back to CB from safety.

Darby cannot be counted upon to cover a top WR on an island on his own, but I have no problem having him covering the slot or the opponents #3.

2. This is true because Darby has some positives about his game as seen by his 2 INTS. He can have good ball awareness as shown by some good coverage by him in preseason practice.

However, when thrown to the wolves in preseason games.

Darby can be covered for as he learns to become a vet, but it is clear that though he was our first choice he is not a 1st round talent. A solid starter quality eventually but not an immediate shut down starter.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rex pulls something out of the hat for this game to catch Indy off guard regarding Darby. He may just infant move Darby to the slot and Graham to corner for the high powered pass game of Indy. Darby is the weak link in this game against Hilton and Luck, and even giving him help over top isn't going to help Darby on the shorter passes and out routes. Not to mention the over the top help opens up 1/4 of the field on the back end if the safety has to assist Darby. It's obvious Luck is going to test Darby early and often and the coaches for Indy will be looking to see how that effects the rest of the field if we're helping Darby over the top. For every adjustment we make Indy can make one too, this is why I'm thinking Rex will have something in store for Indy as a "surprise" that will at least catch them off guard for the first quarter. Then hopefully make good half time adjustments.

Funny how a bunch of people hated McKelvin and wanted him gone, but now wish he were back. McKelvin is a very good corner, gets limited penalties and is always in a good position, he just needs to make better plays on the ball which he improved on last year. Him and Marcel being out this opening game is really going to hurt us.

it's not funny at all, he was pretty bad his first couple years. But that goes along with the whole "give him time" argument. Leo's problem early on was that he would always try for the interception, which he whiffed on the majority of the time. It was so frustrating watching him leap with both hands up and having the ball sail through his fingers! The past couple seasons he has learned to just knock the ball down or deflect it and he's become a very good CB...

Edited by ricojes

No different then McKelvin. It took him a few years to learn to play pro CB

He will make mistakes he will get better

While I agree I definitely think playing CB for Buffalo back in McKelvin's early years was considerably harder considering we didn't have nearly the pass rush we have today and the safety help was Whitner.

it's not funny at all, he was pretty bad his first couple years. But that goes along with the whole "give him time" argument. Leo's problem early on was that he would always try for the interception, which he whiffed on the majority of the time. It was so frustrating watching him leap with both hands up and having the ball sail through his fingers! The past couple seasons he has learned to just knock the ball down or deflect it and he's become a very good CB...

I thought it was funny, but maybe I just knew he was better than people gave him credit for.

Definitely concerned. He's looking like McKelvin did, early on - can't locate the ball, loses his man. McKelvin got better but that doesn't mean Darby will become a solid starter. The primary concern is that other teams will be throwing his way consistently until he improves. The detrimental effect of that could be significant if he remains a starter. Interesting to see who Whaley goes after on cut day

Rex is NOT going to put him out there like he did in preseason games...please! He's going to be fine.

Rex did say he was testing his defense. To me that almost sounds like he would initially put them in a difficult situation with the hopes that they would communicate and correct it. The growing pains of a Rex led defense I guess. Hopefully that learning technique has helped, we shall see, some very good opposing QB's under center to start the season...Definitely concerned...

Edited by ricojes

Rex is NOT going to put him out there like he did in preseason games...please! He's going to be fine.

That does not mean he'll just be fine.. He will still be tested underneath, and it opens things up in the middle of the field. It's a real concern even with help over the top.

Darby was stranded on Kelvin/Martavius island all preseason. If he didn't get beat a few times, I'd be surprised. These guys are loads taller/stronger than him. I'm not worried about week one because he'll probably get safety support and he'll go up against TY Hilton, who burns you with speed, not size. Perfect matchup considering Darby is super fast...

Also: there where a few PI calls in preseason that were pretty bad.

Edited by Uffalo Ills

Yes I'm concerned.

I didn't really love the pick at the time, and my concern with his relative lack of ball awareness hasn't been alleviated given what we've seen in the preseason.

I am, however, encouraged by his coverage ability, and hopeful that Donnie Henderson's constant preaching of finding the football will get into his head the way it did for McKelvin (and, to a lesser extent, Gilmore).

That does not mean he'll just be fine.. He will still be tested underneath, and it opens things up in the middle of the field. It's a real concern even with help over the top.

I agree with both you and ricojes...I'm just saying that I can't see Rex feeding him to the wolves like he did in preseason.

I mean, he just left to hang...:)

BTW, I really hope he is going to be fine.

Darby was stranded on Kelvin/Martavius island all preseason. If he didn't get beat a few times, I'd be surprised. These guys are loads taller/stronger than him. I'm not worried about week one because he'll probably get safety support and he'll go up against TY Hilton, who burns you with speed, not size. Perfect matchup considering Darby is super fast...

Also: there where a few PI calls in preseason that were pretty bad.

If they colts are smart they'll have Andre Johnson (6'3) on Darby's side and Hilton matched up against Gilmore. Neither of those matchups are great for the Bills from a size / speed standpoint.

I'll be curious to see if Rex has any tricks up his sleeves. He seems to be comfortable sticking with Darby based on his presser comments, but he may be blowing smoke and planning to move Graham to corner if McKelvin isn't back for the first couple of games. From a common sense standpoint that seems to make the most sense. You keep Aaron Williams back as the deep safety and bring in Duke Williams who will play in the box for the majority of snaps.

I'll be very curious to see how they line up on the first defensive possession. Either way they have to be ready to adjust if Darby can't pull his weight.

Edited by Billsrhody

Not even a little bit concerned. He's a rookie CB - he going to get burned throughout the season, so get used to it. QBs will pick on him all season until he plays well enough to make QBs think otherwise. But he's smart and has the physical tangibles and will improve. So long as the overall defensive effort is there and with some production out of the offense, hopefully Darby won't be the difference maker in a negative way in more than a game or two.

If they colts are smart they'll have Andre Johnson (6'3) on Darby's side and Hilton matched up against Gilmore. Neither of those matchups are great for the Bills from a size / speed standpoint.

I'll be curious to see if Rex has any tricks up his sleeves. He seems to be comfortable sticking with Darby based on his presser comments, but he may be blowing smoke and planning to move Graham to corner if McKelvin isn't back for the first couple of games. From a common sense standpoint that seems to make the most sense. You keep Aaron Williams back as the deep safety and bring in Duke Williams who will play in the box for the majority of snaps.

I'll be very curious to see how they line up on the first defensive possession. Either way they have to be ready to adjust if Darby can't pull his weight.

I don't think that the offense gets to dictate matchups like that. I think it's more likely that Rex picks his matchups and has Gilmore follow his preferred WR around. You're very unlikely to see the Colts' WRs running around trying to get the matchup they want (save for something like pulling Hilton into the slot to get him against Robey, which they may do).

I don't think that the offense gets to dictate matchups like that. I think it's more likely that Rex picks his matchups and has Gilmore follow his preferred WR around. You're very unlikely to see the Colts' WRs running around trying to get the matchup they want (save for something like pulling Hilton into the slot to get him against Robey, which they may do).

I don't think I've seen Gilmore play anywhere but the right side of the defense (left side of the offense). He hasn't been a Revis type that follows the best receiver wherever he goes on the field. He has been more like Sherman, staying on one side of the field and locking it down.

That said, its possible that Rex will mix it up. But based on what I saw in the preseason it will be Gilmore on one side, Darby on the other.

Edited by Billsrhody

I don't think I've seen Gilmore play anywhere but the right side of the defense (left side of the offense). He hasn't been a Revis type that follows the best receiver wherever he goes on the field. He has been more like Sherman, staying on one side of the field and locking it down.

That said, its possible that Rex will mix it up. But based on what I saw in the preseason it will be Gilmore on one side, Darby on the other.

He did it some in his rookie year.

Yeah...I attributed that to Rex not showing anything in the preseason, as in NJ he tended to always pick his man-man matchups.

You are absolutely correct that he didn't do it in the preseason though; I probably should lend more credence to that than I am. Thanks for reminding me.

Yeah...I attributed that to Rex not showing anything in the preseason, as in NJ he tended to always pick his man-man matchups.

You are absolutely correct that he didn't do it in the preseason though; I probably should lend more credence to that than I am. Thanks for reminding me.

Also, in years past it wouldn't have made much of a difference. When we had Gilmore and McKelvin/Graham those guys were more or less interchangeable from a talent standpoint. You could be right for the opener if there are clear matchups that Rex wants to stick with.

Not even a little bit concerned. He's a rookie CB - he going to get burned throughout the season, so get used to it. QBs will pick on him all season until he plays well enough to make QBs think otherwise. But he's smart and has the physical tangibles and will improve. So long as the overall defensive effort is there and with some production out of the offense, hopefully Darby won't be the difference maker in a negative way in more than a game or two.

Wow.

You must like losing.

Right out of the box we face 4 good to great qbs.

Caveman Luck, Marcia, Tinyhill, Gump Manning

All 4 qbs can do damage.

Wow.

You must like losing.

Right out of the box we face 4 good to great qbs.

Caveman Luck, Marcia, Tinyhill, Gump Manning

All 4 qbs can do damage.

You seem pretty positive about Brady* playing. Just sayin'.

only concerned if a decently taller WR is on him. I think Rex wanted to see how he handled the big-body WR's. I think he will be find against average sized WR's. He has coverage, he just PI's against the taller WR's like M. Bryant because he can't get the jump ball.

only concerned if a decently taller WR is on him. I think Rex wanted to see how he handled the big-body WR's. I think he will be find against average sized WR's. He has coverage, he just PI's against the taller WR's like M. Bryant because he can't get the jump ball.

Hmmm.

You mention how many concerns here?

Only 3.

excerpt from http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ronald-darby?id=2552689that sound accurate, but they also list strengths that contradict his weaknesses.. so get the grain of salt ready..

WEAKNESSES

Susceptible to inside releases, with feet stuttering before transitioning to close distance on loose receiver. Like teammate P.J. Williams, he must learn to play without so much grabbing downfield. Needs improvement with back to ball. Anxious to stay on top of route from press and opens door for comebacks underneath. Will occasionally lose track of his man in scramble situations. Not a hitter. Scouts question his toughness. Will get muscled by bigger receivers. Ducks head as tackler and prefers to hit with helmet over wrapping up against running backs.