Vic Carucci on Sirius this a.m.

eball

Joe B. just on Sirius as well -- completely massacred EJ. Said he has been "terrible" and said it's a "very good chance" EJ won't be on the roster to start the season.

Unreal, these guys.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe B. just on Sirius as well -- completely massacred EJ. Said he has been "terrible" and said it's a "very good chance" EJ won't be on the roster to start the season.

Unreal, these guys.

What a risk that would be. Cassel is a 6-8 week injury waiting to happen. I think they would be crazy to cut EJ.

Unreal, these guys.

If the Bills think that and they can get a draft pick, even a 7th rounder then I suspect EJ will be gone. That way they don't have to cover his salary. If they can't trade I think he wallows on the bench at least for this season, they won't cut him.

Edited by VABills

They have started differentiating reps. That's definitely a sign. I dont think that the guy who starts vs. Indy necessarily starts all year. At this point though the coaching staff certainly doesn't believe that it is wide open. They definitely have opinions on it.

Not saying this is the case, but I wondered if they are intentionally giving EJ and Taylor more reps against the 2s and 3s and less against the starting Defense in an effort to build their confidence and put them in a position to succeed rather than getting killed on every play by one of the best defenses in the league. Just a thought. We will find out over the next few weeks.

Don't you think that he's right on that point?

I think he's saying that it's unthinkable for a reserve LB to punch out a starting QB in the locker room. I don't think he's saying that fights don't happen in the locker rooms.

The result -- a broken jaw -- is what's unusual. Vic made it sound as though he couldn't believe a player would throw a punch.

Unreal, these guys.

Not really. The Channel 4 sports director just got fired because he "wasn't opinionated enough."

http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/2015/08/12/ch-4s-vesey-was-short-on-opinions-didnt-get-much-help-from-station/

Any attention JoeB can draw to himself is all good for his station and his career (not so much the fanbase)...

The result -- a broken jaw -- is what's unusual. Vic made it sound as though he couldn't believe a player would throw a punch.

Didn't hear the segment, but was he surprised that a punch was thrown or that a punch was thrown at the starting QB? To me that's the difference. He's not that naive to think players don't fight in locker rooms or even sidelines in front of full camera views. But AFAIK, there hasn't been a reported incident of a back up player hitting the starting QB (and then players rallying around the backup).

I think another telling tale is that Rex/Roman have no ties to Manuel -therefore devoid of all the hope fans and FO may still hold for a desperate 1st Round pick. Rex has pulled the trigger a few times to get players here he knows are better or can compete with what he inherited. Conner, IK, Harvin & Simms were all Jets last year. Conner for Felton competition and maybe Easley's ST cheaper replacement; Harvin for a multi-faceted play maker; IK for LB depth and Simms to boot Manuel to the curb.. ; )

Not saying this is the case, but I wondered if they are intentionally giving EJ and Taylor more reps against the 2s and 3s and less against the starting Defense in an effort to build their confidence and put them in a position to succeed rather than getting killed on every play by one of the best defenses in the league. Just a thought. We will find out over the next few weeks.

Isn't the 2nd and 3rd team offense going up against the 1st defense as well? Roman did say in his interview yesterday that they are looking for a QB that's able to excel even when the situation is not ideal, and I'm paraphrasing. He also said that all the QBs are doing well. I believe Roman and Co. have a plan that many are misconstruing.

What a risk that would be. Cassel is a 6-8 week injury waiting to happen. I think they would be crazy to cut EJ.

If EJ hasn't improved from last year or even regressed, there's no point of keeping him on the team. I'm not saying he has, since I am reserving judgment for the pre-season games, but if he's still 2014 EJ, it is what it is.

Didn't hear the segment, but was he surprised that a punch was thrown or that a punch was thrown at the starting QB? To me that's the difference. He's not that naive to think players don't fight in locker rooms or even sidelines in front of full camera views. But AFAIK, there hasn't been a reported incident of a back up player hitting the starting QB (and then players rallying around the backup).

His comments were completely focused on the character of the player (IK), not that he hit the starting QB. Ross and Booger didn't even comment on that part of the conversation, so I think they were like "oh, ok" and moved on, realizing Vic didn't "get it."

That has crossed my mind as well but the more I think about it I don't buy it. If you don't believe a QB is ready enough to practice against your best defense why would he be ready to go against someone else's?

That has crossed my mind as well but the more I think about it I don't buy it. If you don't believe a QB is ready enough to practice against your best defense why would he be ready to go against someone else's?

What if this week they were letting TT play a lot more with the ones and the twos because this is his week to play more in the game this friday. The week before EJ played a little more and did a little better and then they started him in the scrimmage, which Rex said was going to hold a lot of weight. And then next week, EJ goes back to playing more with the ones and twos because its his turn again against the Browns.

Just a thought.

What if this week they were letting TT play a lot more with the ones and the twos because this is his week to play more in the game this friday. The week before EJ played a little more and did a little better and then they started him in the scrimmage, which Rex said was going to hold a lot of weight. And then next week, EJ goes back to playing more with the ones and twos because its his turn again against the Browns.

Just a thought.

Well, I hope this is correct.

Next week will clarify if its a rotation or a sign that EJ is where the media is speculating.

If the former, the credibility of the local sports media, such that it is, should take a hit.

Just a thought.

That is certainly possible and there is still time left. The point that I was trying to make is that they are starting to at least formulate some opinions by now. They can change but the coaches would know who they would start if today was the opener.

Schumer is acting in the best interests of Israel, that's all.

I used the example to show that a person who goes against the team can become a pariah of the fan base. Even if they enjoyed a good journalistic reputation before, as Carrucci had before this interview.

But when he or any media say anything perceived as anti-Bills, they become a target of scorn. There's not even any debate about the merits of what they say, only that they're wrong and anti-team. And Carrucci will never be accused of inciting people like Sullivan.

They have started differentiating reps. That's definitely a sign. I dont think that the guy who starts vs. Indy necessarily starts all year. At this point though the coaching staff certainly doesn't believe that it is wide open. They definitely have opinions on it.

Cassel is the starter because he is the safest choice with TT backing him up. Rex seems to have an affinity for TT and is intrigued by him. I see EJ falling by the wayside. I'm starting to have some doubts that he will even make it on the roster.

This offseason the organization is going to put a lot of effort in the draft trying to secure a franchise qb. They will also be putting a lot of effort in finding a good qb who is already in the league because the team is built to win now.

Wishful thinking on my part: If the Bills could have acquired a Foles or even Bradford this offseason there would have been some serious SB talk that wouldn't have sounded outlandishly. :worthy:

I used the example to show that a person who goes against the team can become a pariah of the fan base. Even if they enjoyed a good journalistic reputation before, as Carrucci had before this interview.

But when he or any media say anything perceived as anti-Bills, they become a target of scorn. There's not even any debate about the merits of what they say, only that they're wrong and anti-team. And Carrucci will never be accused of inciting people like Sullivan.

Ever since Carucci came back to the Buffalo News many of us have noticed a distinct difference in his reporting. He's more pessimistic, more grating...I don't think Vic has as many "friends" in the organization as he did back in the Marv Levy years, and he's also trying desperately to stay relevant in the internet-driven media world.

I'm not suggesting he doesn't make some good points, but his overall tone is much different than it used to be.

Just a thought.

Correct, but why can't any of the local meatheads concoct these possibilities themselves? No, they're all too happy to run to any media outlet available to them and proclaim how dreadful the QBs are in Buffalo, EJ will be cut, and Cassel is the default choice.