NFL player poll re: Brady/pats

Mr. WEO

In a sense players' opinions aren't as important as the fans, because that's for whom NFL is protecting the integrity of the league. That's why Martha Stewart's case is a good parallel. Most market participants know and real research proves that insider trading has a negligible effect on the markets or individual investors. But regulators come down hard on inside traders to reinforce the perception that they are fighting to keep markets fair.

Well, if those who play the game and those who profit most from it (owners) really aren't bothered by all of this and they know it really doesn't affect the game, why do the rest of us have to pretend that it does? No one believes insider trading is less common becuase Martha Stewart did a little time..

Why does a widely held misperception need to be reinforced? Fans aren't as naive as many here will have us believe. The outrage, in my opinion, is largey fabricated because this is a division rival.

Edited by Mr. WEO

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if those who play the game and those who profit most from it (owners) really aren't bothered by all of this and they know it really doesn't affect the game, why do the rest of us have to pretend that it does? No one believes insider trading is less common becuase Martha Stewart did a little time..

Why does a widely held misperception need to be reinforced? Fans aren't as naive as many here will have us believe. The outrage, in my opinion, is largey fabricated because this is a division rival.

Talk to God to change the human psyche. Most fans believe that teams would cheat and break the rules if they weren't enforced. That perception grows larger when a franchise has been caught in prior acts of cheating and "coincidentally" has accomplished something that no other franchise in the modern free agent era has been able to do.

This is what you said:

It's wrong.

The point is abundantly clear and exactly what I was referring to in context of what I said directly before that: "Most of the posters here that are very upset with Brady and his cheating really could care less about the little deflation of the ball. Some do but it seems the vast majority don't. They are pissed by how it was done and what he did after.

"Did the Patriots deflate the balls" = "Do you think a little deflating of the balls is bad" - VERSUS explaining in more detail about what happened and asking if that is bad. If you ask the same question five different ways you are likely to get five different percentages.

Talk to God to change the human psyche. Most fans believe that teams would cheat and break the rules if they weren't enforced. That perception grows larger when a franchise has been caught in prior acts of cheating and "coincidentally" has accomplished something that no other franchise in the modern free agent era has been able to do.

Just got off the phone with God and He too isn't concerned with the patriots cheating. He also reminded me that He gave us football decades ago and the sport has had many episodes of shady characters (all His creations, He admits) doing illegal things yet He is quick to point out that the NFL is more popular than ever, despite everything He sees you and others wailing and gnashing your teeth about. He knows (I mean, of course He does!) that the NFL is the most fabulous gift of entertainment he has ever provided the United States of America (He gave the heathens soccer--and He hates that they call it football, by the way) and He understands, of course, that all of this drama is part of the entertainment value of this gift. He knows no serious person is really, truly, in their soul actually worried about the "integrity of the game" (He laughs a bit at that).

Ahh, God...once you get Him on the phone, he just wants to talk and talk.....

The point is abundantly clear and exactly what I was referring to in context of what I said directly before that: "Most of the posters here that are very upset with Brady and his cheating really could care less about the little deflation of the ball. Some do but it seems the vast majority don't. They are pissed by how it was done and what he did after.

"Did the Patriots deflate the balls" = "Do you think a little deflating of the balls is bad" - VERSUS explaining in more detail about what happened and asking if that is bad. If you ask the same question five different ways you are likely to get five different percentages.

So maybe if they asked "do you think a lot of deflating of the balls is bad?" or "OK, what if they took all the air out the balls?", that would have been enough to tip the 100 players to see this the way you do?

Edited by Mr. WEO

Just got off the phone with God and He too isn't concerned with the patriots cheating. He also reminded me that He gave us football decades ago and the sport has had many episodes of shady characters (all His creations, He admits) doing illegal things yet He is quick to point out that the NFL is more popular than ever, despite everything He sees you and others wailing and gnashing your teeth about. He knows (I mean, of course He does!) that the NFL is the most fabulous gift of entertainment he has ever provided the United States of America (He gave the heathens soccer--and He hates that they call it football, by the way) and He understands, of course, that all of this drama is part of the entertainment value of this gift. He knows no serious person is really, truly, in their soul actually worried about the "integrity of the game" (He laughs a bit at that).

Ahh, God...once you get Him on the phone, he just wants to talk and talk.....

So maybe if they asked "do you think a lot of deflating of the balls is bad?" or "OK, what if they took all the air out the balls?", that would have been enough to tip the 100 players to see this the way you do?

No, because that would be ignorant, kind of like how you have been acting in this thread.

By the way, it doesn't bother you to wake up and scour the interwebs to find anything you can that you (erroneously) think shows TOM FRIGGIN' BRADY in a better light when you know yourself that he cheated? Even if you believe he was railroaded why would you actively seek information to defend a cheater and respond every single time you can to make him look in a better light.

Oh, yeah, that's right, I forgot. You do that about every other thing that makes the Bills look bad, or the Patriots look good.

Nevermind. Carry on.

No, because that would be ignorant, kind of like how you have been acting in this thread.

By the way, it doesn't bother you to wake up and scour the interwebs to find anything you can that you (erroneously) think shows TOM FRIGGIN' BRADY in a better light when you know yourself that he cheated? Even if you believe he was railroaded why would you actively seek information to defend a cheater and respond every single time you can to make him look in a better light.

Oh, yeah, that's right, I forgot. You do that about every other thing that makes the Bills look bad, or the Patriots look good.

Nevermind. Carry on.

I haven't posted anything that makes Brady look good. You choose to say that because you constantly post things you have to back off of, endlessly qualify or re-explain. I don't think he was railroaded at all. Months ago I posted his 4 games would be reduced to 2, becuase that's how th NFL handles these things.

You keep saying I'm "defending a cheater" becuase you don't know what else to say. I haven't defended him. We are discussing the various argumenst on both sides and debating the issues raised by this unusual case. You want everyone to agree that this is a horrible attack on the integrity of the game and I just don't think it rises to that level. It's the NFL promoting its offseason drama protocol to maximize viewer interest while no games are being played. If this wasn't Brady, you wouldn't be so out of your mind.

If this wasn't Brady, you wouldn't be so out of your mind.

If it wasn't Brady, this would be a non-event because that player would likely have fessed up to the cheating, paid a fine and be on with his life.

If it wasn't Brady, this would be a non-event because that player would likely have fessed up to the cheating, paid a fine and be on with his life.

Exactly. And he wouldn't be coming from a team that incredibly has managed to repeatedly break/stretch the rules AND simultaneously get the benefit of the doubt from the league at every turn for 15 years in a row.

Plus WEO is wrong again, since I have repeatedly said that it doesn't help Brady and I don't think it lessens the fact he's one of the very best ever.

I haven't posted anything that makes Brady look good. You choose to say that because you constantly post things you have to back off of, endlessly qualify or re-explain. I don't think he was railroaded at all. Months ago I posted his 4 games would be reduced to 2, becuase that's how th NFL handles these things.

You keep saying I'm "defending a cheater" becuase you don't know what else to say. I haven't defended him. We are discussing the various argumenst on both sides and debating the issues raised by this unusual case. You want everyone to agree that this is a horrible attack on the integrity of the game and I just don't think it rises to that level. It's the NFL promoting its offseason drama protocol to maximize viewer interest while no games are being played. If this wasn't Brady, you wouldn't be so out of your mind.

You ONLY say or link stories that defend Brady's side.

42% of the players think the Pats**(**) are cheating... That's a staggering number...

Seriously...

WEO I can't imagine how quick you would be to trash a study that only polls 100 people. It is no way indicative of how 1500 players feel. Who knows what team these players play for, their allegiances, etc.. that could impact their answers.

That said if we take this study at face value...

Isn't it crazy that 42% think the Pats* are cheaters? As 4mer has stated do you think there is any other team in the league that would approach that number? Also the number is split right down the middle on whether or not this effects the game. That doesn't scream other players don't care about this as you keep opining in this thread.

How many of the players polled play the Pats** twice a season? I bet that would affect their opinion.

making them more informed, or more emotional?

Isn't it crazy that 42% think the Pats* are cheaters? As 4mer has stated do you think there is any other team in the league that would approach that number? Also the number is split right down the middle on whether or not this effects the game. That doesn't scream other players don't care about this as you keep opining in this thread.

set beside the 30% say their own team cheats, im actually quite surprised how small the gap is.

Seriously...

WEO I can't imagine how quick you would be to trash a study that only polls 100 people. It is no way indicative of how 1500 players feel. Who knows what team these players play for, their allegiances, etc.. that could impact their answers.

It's a poll, not a study. It's how polls work. If you disagree with the theory of polling just say so and move on.

And they think 30 percent of every team's players are cheaters--including their own. Your question was answered by the poll. Go read it.

Edited by Mr. WEO

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13423597/nfl-player-survey-reveals-majority-think-new-england-patriots-deflated-footballs-cheaters

72% believe pats deflated ball.

16% "upset" by this

68% believe other teams do the same thing

78% think Brady's suspense is too much

58% don't think pats are cheaters

78% of statistics are made up