NFL player poll re: Brady/pats

Mr. WEO

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13423597/nfl-player-survey-reveals-majority-think-new-england-patriots-deflated-footballs-cheaters

72% believe pats deflated ball.

16% "upset" by this

68% believe other teams do the same thing

78% think Brady's suspense is too much

58% don't think pats are cheaters

Finally! Phase III of the "Patriots Cheating Scandal Cycle" has hit, as I predicted it would some 7 months ago.

Remember, Phase I is "we didn't do it"

Phase II is "if we did it, it didn't give us any competitive advantage"

It's nice to see consistency, as we've now reached Phase III: "if we did it, and it gave us a competitive advantage, then everyone else is doing it too"

As I've said before.... it's like speeding. Everyone speeds. If you get caught, you get a ticket, and the defense of "so is everyone else!" doesn't work.

Every player and team in professional sports does what they can to get ahead, many of them doing what they can to skirt the rules. You get caught, you get in trouble, and "everyone else is doing it" doesn't work.

Seems pretty simple to me.

If NE were cheating they must make players sign confidentiality agreements. The way they have treated some players you know if they cheated those players would tell media.

So no I don't think they cheat. They do however push every limit they can to be as prepared for a game as possible.

The whole ball deflate thing doesn't bother me. It would mean more to me if they did this for field goals. Which I must say they have been very good at kicker for a long time so who knows.

WEO forgot that:

48% thought that deflated balls effected the outcome of games

88% believe Goodell should not decided on punishments (even though their union agreed to it because the money was more important than things like discipline)

71% do not think that players on their team cheat (but 68% of other teams do cheat, obviously)

If NE were cheating they must make players sign confidentiality agreements. The way they have treated some players you know if they cheated those players would tell media.

So no I don't think they cheat. They do however push every limit they can to be as prepared for a game as possible.

Or perhaps those players don't want to burn bridges, as "snitching" on your organization is generally frowned upon in the NFL.

The whole ball deflate thing doesn't bother me. It would mean more to me if they did this for field goals. Which I must say they have been very good at kicker for a long time so who knows.

So, for example:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/21/report-ravens-had-concerns-about-kicking-balls-at-new-england/

^ that might bother you?

Finally! Phase III of the "Patriots Cheating Scandal Cycle" has hit, as I predicted it would some 7 months ago.

It's nice to see consistency, as we've now reached Phase III: "if we did it, and it gave us a competitive advantage, then everyone else is doing it too"

1. "We didn't do it"

2. "If we did it, it didn't give us any competitive advantage"

3. "if we did it, and it gave us a competitive advantage, then everyone else is doing it too"

4. "It is unfair you are attempting to punish us."

Or perhaps those players don't want to burn bridges, as "snitching" on your organization is generally frowned upon in the NFL.

So, for example:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/21/report-ravens-had-concerns-about-kicking-balls-at-new-england/

^ that might bother you?

I just think it would get out. I have heard reports of Patriots players being wired so they can hear line calls during a game.

I mean yeah, who is the best coach at halftime adjustments in the NFL? So who knows. But I just don't see it happening and staying quiet.

As for the kickers, yes. As soon as this deflator story broke I immediately thought of their kickers being all world for so long.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13423597/nfl-player-survey-reveals-majority-think-new-england-patriots-deflated-footballs-cheaters

72% believe pats deflated ball.

16% "upset" by this

68% believe other teams do the same thing

78% think Brady's suspense is too much

58% don't think pats are cheaters

So 42% of the players in the league think the pats* are cheaters? Is that supposed to be a healthy sign for the league?

you are roughly 7 months late. this discussion happened pretty early, when discussing the severity of the incidents with regards to is a unique 4 game suspension and high drama justified if its a common offense, and should the nfl have handled it differently from the get-go. this is just the first poll we have of people in the league, which isnt pats fans justifying (though now i suppose they have something more concrete than the rodgers comments, or leinert, or whoever the third qb that commented was).

i thoroughly enjoy your posting bandit and make a point to read them, but it seems dismissive for the sake of not liking what the poll said on this one.

Edited by NoSaint

you are roughly 7 months late. this discussion happened pretty early, when discussing the severity of the incidents with regards to is a unique 4 game suspension and high drama justified if its a common offense, and should the nfl have handled it differently from the get-go. this is just the first poll we have of people in the league, which isnt pats fans justifying (though now i suppose they have something more concrete than the rodgers comments, or leinert, or whoever the third qb that commented was).

i thoroughly enjoy your posting bandit and make a point to read them, but it seems dismissive for the sake of not liking what the poll said on this one.

Let's pick a random team......I'm closing my eyes and pointing.......Bengals......what percentage of the players in the league think the Begals are cheaters? Do you think it approaches 42?

I appreciate the compliment...and this was more tongue-in-cheek than serious.

It's merely an observation that every time the Pats are accused of something, those 3 themes seem to emerge.

Frankly, I'm not surprised that many around the league don't see it as a big deal--the deflation of the football, on its face, probably isn't hugely impactful on game performance, especially for Brady. The covert-style operation and ensuing subterfuge and evasiveness is the greater offense IMO.

Jim Kelly said "no team in the NFL would deflate w/ the QB's knowledge" Brady and company guilty...irrespective is the cute arguments on both sides. Punishment? Well, get it done and over...and put it behind you. AND...the NFL has to take charge of providing the footballs as I will never trust the home team again...Bills included. (and yes, I did know the perfect gas law before all this occured)