worst first round pick

nuklz2594

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sometimes I wonder what effect all this nonsense has. our total lack of support for ej is incredible. even if you don't think he will be good, he's at least proven that he can compete for the starting job. as fans don't we at least owe him some support? maybe he shouldn't have been picked when he was, but who cares? he's on our team now and when he was picked or how he was picked wasn't his decision.

i've always thought we had some of the best fans, but when stuff like this keeps getting put out there i wonder . . .

This is a no brainer. Walt Patulski was the top pick in the draft and was a total bust.

I hear this name a lot so I looked it up. Seems like he had some good years in buffalo and then we traded for him a 2nd round pick. That's much better outcome than many others.

----------

Patulski was drafted by the Buffalo Bills with the first overall pick of the 1972 NFL Draft. He was the last Notre Dame player to be drafted #1 overall. His size and speed were among the reasons he was highly touted: At 6'6" and 250 pounds, he could run the 40 in 4.9 seconds.

As a rookie, led the Bills in sacks with 5. In 1973 the Bills improved to a 9-5 record after going 4-9-1 in his rookie season of 1972. Patulski recorded 7 sacks, which was second on the team and was voted AP NFL Defensive Player of the Week November 28, 1973, after week eleven. In 1974, the Bills recorded another 9-5 record and made the playoffs for the first time in eight years as Patulski recorded 5-1/2 sacks. The Bills were 8-6 his third season, but did not advance to the AFC playoffs. He recorded only 4 sacks, a career low, however, 2 came in a game against the St. Louis Cardinals offensive line, who gave up only 8 sacks in 1975. Patulski lined up against St. Louis all-pro and Pro Football Hall of Fame offensive tackle Dan Dierdorf, and had a spectacular game. Patulski harassed Hart all day and was one of the reasons the Cards were held to just 54 yards on the ground.[8] He played 4 years (197275) with the Bills, and then he was traded to the Cardinals for a second-round draft pick.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Patulski

And if you're old enough to remember the other picks, they probably led you to drink.

Salary cap implications of previous picks were much harsher for picks. I don't think any recent pick for any team can be considered worst ever unless you give up a boat load for a guy like RG3. Even with that he's set them back but took them to the playoffs. Also they were up in the playoff game if I remembered correctly and running read option when he had one leg.

So many bad ones to choose from really. Perry Tuttle, Booker Moore, Tony Hunter, JD Williams, Mike Williams, JP Losman, the pick they traded to Jax for Rob Johnson that became Fred Taylor and could have become any number for players for the Bills including Randy Moss... Randy Moss with Flutie in 2000, with that defense....arrrgh

let me clarify...some are saying ej will not be cut due to a guaranteed contract. cut, clipboard holder, 3rd team whatever. dude is not going to be anything more than a footnote.

i wish the kid well. it is time to move on

all i have read is ej will be cut. if so, will be the worst 1st round bust in bills history? was not old enough for the walt somethingski pick.

For the love of...are you kidding? First off, I seriously doubt he's cut. Secondly, EJ actually won us some games, had 3 comeback wins in 14 starts, Etc. How in the hell would that equate to being a bigger bust over scrubs like Maybin who were higher picks, had bigger contracts, and contributed far less??? Man this board is getting absurd with the EJ stuff, who may still win the job.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I hear this name a lot so I looked it up. Seems like he had some good years in buffalo and then we traded for him a 2nd round pick. That's much better outcome than many others.

----------

Patulski was drafted by the Buffalo Bills with the first overall pick of the 1972 NFL Draft. He was the last Notre Dame player to be drafted #1 overall. His size and speed were among the reasons he was highly touted: At 6'6" and 250 pounds, he could run the 40 in 4.9 seconds.

As a rookie, led the Bills in sacks with 5. In 1973 the Bills improved to a 9-5 record after going 4-9-1 in his rookie season of 1972. Patulski recorded 7 sacks, which was second on the team and was voted AP NFL Defensive Player of the Week November 28, 1973, after week eleven. In 1974, the Bills recorded another 9-5 record and made the playoffs for the first time in eight years as Patulski recorded 5-1/2 sacks. The Bills were 8-6 his third season, but did not advance to the AFC playoffs. He recorded only 4 sacks, a career low, however, 2 came in a game against the St. Louis Cardinals offensive line, who gave up only 8 sacks in 1975. Patulski lined up against St. Louis all-pro and Pro Football Hall of Fame offensive tackle Dan Dierdorf, and had a spectacular game. Patulski harassed Hart all day and was one of the reasons the Cards were held to just 54 yards on the ground.[8] He played 4 years (197275) with the Bills, and then he was traded to the Cardinals for a second-round draft pick.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Patulski

Patulski sucked for the most part. I remember. Losman had the occasional strong game; most starting players do.

Richie Lucas our first ever pick. QB from Penn St. In 1960. Maxwell award winner, heisman runner up to Billy Cannon. College hall of fame.

wow, you guys have some memories around here. The 1st round wasted pick precedent was set right out of the box

Richard John "Riverboat Richie" Lucas (born April 15, 1938) is a former American football quarterback. He played college football at Pennsylvania State University from 1957 to 1959 and professionally in theAmerican Football League (AFL) with the Buffalo Bills from 1960 to 1961 and the Denver Broncos in 1962.

Lucas was born in Glassport, Pennsylvania. He is of Russian descent. Nicknamed "Riverboat Richie" due to his gambling instincts when calling plays,[1]Lucas won the Maxwell Award and was runner-up to LSU's Billy Cannon for the Heisman Trophy in 1959.

Lucas was a first round pick in both the 1960 NFL draft and the 1960 American Football League draft. Lucas signed with the Buffalo Bills of the newly-formed AFL, making him officially the franchise's first player. There he played quarterback, halfback, defensive back and kick returner for two seasons. He was obtained by the AFL's Denver Broncos following the 1962 equalization draft, but never played for the Broncos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richie_Lucas