worst first round pick

nuklz2594

There was a DB named James Williams who played in the NFL 6 seasons 4 with the Bills. The only reason I bring his name up is he had a visual problem with depth perception. Meaning he had great difficulty making interceptions. Once saw him in a game, and he had a perfect chance to make an interception... then completely misjudged the ball. This happened more then a few times.

DE Erik Flowers played 5 years in the NFL with a total of 5 sacks.

OT Mike D Williams was considered a bust because he was the #4 overall pick that was drafted to start at LT, and ended up as a bad RT. Played 5 years in the NFL.

DE Aaron Maybin played in the NFL 4 years, and got all 6 of his sacks in one of two seasons with the Jets.

DT John McCargo played in the NFL 6 seasons and had only one game start in all those years 2.5 sacks, 35 tackles.

QB JP Losman played 7 years in the NFL with a record of 10-23 with 33 TD's, 34 INT's

Over a decade of futility...

Receiving honorable mention in all those bad draft picks should be #2 pick WR James Hardy who was supposed to be a Plaxico Burris type threat, and may as well shot himself in the leg. Gone after two seasons.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all i have read is ej will be cut. if so, will be the worst 1st round bust in bills history? was not old enough for the walt somethingski pick.

Not even close you still Have Aaron Maybin Erik Flowers and Mike Wiliiams,

Interesting fact:

In 56 drafts, the Bills have never had a quarterback as their first pick that became an elite player in the league.

Worst first picks:

Based on productivity (or lack of) -

Tom Ruud, Reuben Gant, Phil Dokes, Terry Miller (decent rookie season, then nothing), Booker Moore, Perry Tuttle, Tony Hunter, Erik Flowers, Mike Williams, Losman, McCargo, Maybin.

McGahee gets honorable mention. Taken in the first, knowing at best, his rookie season was 2 years away.

Also - honorable mention to James Hardy and Roscoe Parrish, both 1st picks for the Bills in the draft, taken in round 2

The Cousineau choice gets a pass, since that was a money issue. Wilson was notoriously tight, which was why good players and coaches went through the revolving door at Rich Stadium. Every time the Bills started to show signs of looking like a playoff team, they were quickly dismantled to "save money". Mid 70s with Saban, and then again early 80s with Knox.

Even if they hadn't traded Cousineau for a second 1983 1st-rounder, they may still have drafted Kelly with their first round pick rather than Tony Hunter if they only had a single first round pick. Who knows?

On the positive side, the Bills have made up for some of the bad first round picks with non-first rounders Thurman, Andre, Kyle Williams, et al.

At least they never drafted Tony Mandarich, Brian Bosworth, or Ryan Leaf. Poster boys for 1st round busts.

In terms of ultimate potential bad consequences I nominate JP Losman. Had he not been drafted there is a decent possibility the Bills would have taken Aaron Rodgers the following year, and Bills 21st century history could have been much different.

In terms of draft placement vs ultimate production, its hard to argue against Cousineu and Mike Williams.

Worst ever has to be a fairly high 1st round pick. With that, here's my Bottom 5.

1. #4 Overall - Mike Williams: A complete and utter fail who was effectively out of the NFL after 4 miserable seasons.
  2. #12 Overall - Phil Dokes: Anyone over 45 remembers this unbelievable stiff, who was out of the NFL after 2 inept seasons.
  3. #11 Overall - Aaron Maybin: Despite Tabloid Timmy's effort to positively spin this bum, he sucked and was out of the NFL after 3 seasons.
  4. #1 Overall - Walt Patulski: He wasn't as bad as legend has it, but for a #1 overall pick he was terrible.
  5. #16 Overall - EJ Manuel: The idiocy to draft EJ 30 spots higher than his draft ranking doomed the Bills to QB purgatory.

*Honorable mention: #1 overall Tom Cousineau. The fact he was traded to Cleveland for their top pick - which became Jim Kelly - made his bust extremely valuable. Without Tom there is no Jim.

Barring a miraculous turn around, EJ would have to be high in the running. Not because of of his draft position, and not because he sucked the most, but because we went "all in" on him at QB and as a result didn't pursue other options, and now we have a loaded team with no QB.

Barring a miraculous turn around, EJ would have to be high in the running. Not because of of his draft position, and not because he sucked the most, but because we went "all in" on him at QB and as a result didn't pursue other options, and now we have a loaded team with no QB.

We never went all in on ej. We've always been looking for another qb to compete for the number one spot.

I'm sorry, but...what?

It doesn't matter who's side you are on, this clearly isn't the case. He was pulled in his 14th game and the fault on the team is probably going to be that they never gave him an opportunity. He's a .500 QB if Stevie and Chandler didn't fumble the Atlanta game away in miraculous fashion. The notion that this guy is a complete bust is laughable to me.

I will never understand the obsession with wanting your 1st round QB to fail. Never.

I say no since we traded down and acquired extra picks to offset this possibility some

but it will go down as an unfortunate choice in a year that there just wasn't many good choices

No question!! Maybin, Flowers and Williams get special consideration.

Edit: Patulski deserves mention

Williams was putrid, we threw a lot of money down the toilet there.

I say no since we traded down and acquired extra picks to offset this possibility some

but it will go down as an unfortunate choice in a year that there just wasn't many good choices

We haven't really gone all in on EJ. I understand he had some injuries, but he should have been allowed to play all last year. The JESTS at least had the gumption to stick with Geno. We would have found for for sure whether or not his weakness could be corrected.

That's a defense of the draft and trade back, not a defense of the pick itself.

We never went all in on ej. We've always been looking for another qb to compete for the number one spot.

So Whaley was just kidding when he said that?

I'm sorry, but...what?

It doesn't matter who's side you are on, this clearly isn't the case. He was pulled in his 14th game and the fault on the team is probably going to be that they never gave him an opportunity. He's a .500 QB if Stevie and Chandler didn't fumble the Atlanta game away in miraculous fashion. The notion that this guy is a complete bust is laughable to me.

I will never understand the obsession with wanting your 1st round QB to fail. Never.

How does your rationale support your opening statement?

Worst ever has to be a fairly high 1st round pick. With that, here's my Bottom 5.

1. #4 Overall - Mike Williams: A complete and utter fail who was effectively out of the NFL after 4 miserable seasons.
  2. #12 Overall - Phil Dokes: Anyone over 45 remembers this unbelievable stiff, who was out of the NFL after 2 inept seasons.
  3. #11 Overall - Aaron Maybin: Despite Tabloid Timmy's effort to positively spin this bum, he sucked and was out of the NFL after 3 seasons.
  4. #1 Overall - Walt Patulski: He wasn't as bad as legend has it, but for a #1 overall pick he was terrible.
  5. #16 Overall - EJ Manuel: The idiocy to draft EJ 30 spots higher than his draft ranking doomed the Bills to QB purgatory.

*Honorable mention: #1 overall Tom Cousineau. The fact he was traded to Cleveland for their top pick - which became Jim Kelly - made his bust extremely valuable. Without Tom there is no Jim.

As a bit of a Walt defender (my first Bills autograph), I'm ok with this approach and the list. As has been said, the pick itself wasn't entirely wasted like Flowers and Maybin, as it turned into Joe Devlin, who served admirably for years. Also, Walt had a better Bills career than the three above him on your list, although he may not have lived up to #1 overall - but again, he got us a second after four years and might have done something in St. L but for the knee.

Another tidbit I've mentioned before, the number two overall behind Walt was Sherm White, taken by the Bengals, later traded to Buff and who gave us several more years of adequate play. And the Dolphins first round pick that year, Walt's d-line teammate Mike Kadish, also ended up in Buffalo where he was a regular for years. Weird draft.

And, although there were a few great players taken after Walt in 1972, the only HOFer was Franco, a position we would never have picked in 1972.

And, as someone noted, we would still have picked Jim in 1983 irrespective of Tom. This is the old Ralph is cheap thing where he used his second first on the QB position to save money. If we only had one pick, it would have been a QB.