Starting to see some QB separation - Cassell - TT

San-O

There's a lot of math in this situation that doesn't add up to a 3 man competition at this point. Typically the 3rd preseason game is where you give your starting offense/defense the most meaningful reps to prep for the opener. 4th game is for the backups. Rex has now made statements hinting that the decision will be made after the second preseason game and that's where you realistically need to do it so your annointed starter can really build that chemistry with the offense.

You can't start 3 quarterbacks in 2 games. Most likely TT comes in second in Carolina game and I'm thinking he and Cassel switch off for the Cleveland game. Only way EJ becomes relevant is if he finds that consistency, lights it up in the Carolina game, and TT or Cassel really fail in that game.

I really like EJ and want him to succeed but practice reps and the reality of the situation are pointing the other way pretty strongly to me.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All fans need to recall is the 2010 pre season where the supposed QB "guru" stated that all three QB's were about the same. Then Trent Edwards emerged as the starter in camp, and was defiantly defended by the HC after fans heckled him in TC. After the second regular season game the starter was out right released by the team, and the back up QB was starting. We got to see that third stringer in action during the season, and then he was released the next year.

So much for all three looking the same!

The point being is that nothing is set in stone just yet, and a lot will depend on how well Cassel can perform against that Carolina first string defense. I would think all the QB's will get a chance to play, and TT-EJ are still strong works in progress. Which QB is the best game manager, and least likely to make mistakes?

Also, what will be interesting in my view is how the current depth chart will change should the Bills effectively build that power run game, or not. JMO

Someone said in another thread this morning that he doesn't trust Joe B's reports on EJ because he (Joe B) probably can't even throw a spiral. Vic Carucci said today that EJ appears to be fading from the competition. I wonder if that same poster questions Carucci's passing abilities. Regardless, it is still early. Obviously the preseason is the biggest stage of the audition. That being said, I think it's pretty clear that Cassel is in fact the default option if no one really starts to separate themselves from the pack.

I've been HOPING that EJ would win this competition, but It looks to be playing out in the worst possible way. If neither Manuel or Taylor are good enough to beat out career backup Matt Cassell, the season will be a bust.

I expect the defense will play very well for about 2/3 of the season and then become very frustrated with the offense's inability to contribute. The run game will be held in check by defenses with no threat of a passing attack and the WRs will be frustrated.

I am not in the camp that believes the Bills were grossly negligent in not drafting another QB, because I don't think there was anyone there to take. Still, they are not going anywhere, including a wild-card position with Cassell at QB.

No, that is not true. EJ was never "out in front" for one second. He had the best practice of the three once. Look, if anyone was expecting Aaron Rodgers to emerge from this pack they were sorely mistaken. The pack is still relatively close. But if you asked every last reporter who has attended camp thus far, every single one of them would have EJ third. By a lot? No. But it is becoming pretty clear that Cassel is the odds-on favorite at this point. You guys can keep denying it, you can blame Marrone, you can blame Joe Buscaglia, you can call it a conspiracy- I've heard em all. The fact is, EJ Manuel has gotta get his s**t together pronto or he might be out of a job very soon.

Look, here's a new one. Now I really have heard em all.

You and I have read completely different things. Early on, TT had a few strong days, then EJ had a couple strong days and the all important scrimmage, and now Cassel has had a couple strong days. As much as you dislike EJ, none of the QBs have looked consistently good in camp. Cassel is getting the reps this week leading up to the Carolina game. I assume Tyrod/EJ will get them leading up to the next pre-season game, and so on. EJ needs to get his **** together, sure. But so does Tyrod and Cassel. SOMEONE needs to get their **** together, and no one has as of yet.

You and I have read completely different things. Early on, TT had a few strong days, then EJ had a couple strong days and the all important scrimmage, and now Cassel has had a couple strong days. As much as you dislike EJ, none of the QBs have looked consistently good in camp. Cassel is getting the reps this week leading up to the Carolina game. I assume Tyrod/EJ will get them leading up to the next pre-season game, and so on. EJ needs to get his **** together, sure. But so does Tyrod and Cassel. SOMEONE needs to get their **** together, and no one has as of yet.

:thumbsup:

Oh boy... Look, another poster was right when he said that MC is the default starter if nobody seperates from the pack. However, I can say that I think EJ will be mad about not getting the nod after "winning" the scrimmage the other day and snap into it. I think his fight or flight will kick in and he has shown that he'll fight. My money is on EJ being our starter wk 1. I think they are starting Meh to light a fire under EJ.

:w00t: This is just too funny!

two non connected points here....we should not be surprised EJ is where he is at....I still remember when the Bills selected EJ, I was watching ESPN and Bill Polian was on the screen. He nearly fainted when the Bills selected Manuel......calling him a heavy duty project...and questioning the selection as a #1.....his quick take has been correct.....unfortunately.

second point......TT is here on a one year contract. If he does well here....who knows....Cassel is in the second year of his two year Vikes contract.....so both other QB candidates might very well be short timers with the Bills as well. So, my view is, long term considerations are really not relevant to this years QB battle.....the one that wins THIS YEAR will get the job....and, the likelyhood for THIS YEAR is Cassell. Recall, he was the starter for the Vikes until he broke his ankle......last year

Edited by bigK14094

two non connected points here....we should not be surprised EJ is where he is at....I still remember when the Bills selected EJ, I was watching ESPN and Bill Polian was on the screen. He nearly fainted when the Bills selected Manuel......calling him a heavy duty project...and questioning the selection as a #1.....his quick take has been correct.....unfortunately.

second point......TT is here on a one year contract. If he does well here....who knows....Cassel is in the second year of his two year Vikes contract.....so both other QB candidates might very well be short timers with the Bills as well. So, my view is, long term considerations are really not relevant to this years QB battle.....the one that wins THIS YEAR will get the job....and, the likelyhood for THIS YEAR is Cassell. Recall, he was the starter for the Vikes until he broke his ankle......last year

Tyrod is here on a 2 year contract with a 3rd year option if I'm not mistaken. It's an incentive heavy deal that pays a decent amount if he starts a certain number of games and we make the playoffs.

That is an interesting take. The other thing people seem to forget is that Cassel should have the most chemistry and be in the lead, probably by a wider margin, as he is the only one to get first team reps every practice, no? That being the case your thoughts may be even more relevant.

:w00t: This is just too funny!

Well, not matter what you try and post, separating fact from fiction, there's ALWAYS going to be some lunacy!

IF, Cassell starts NEXT preseason game against Cleveland, what will the speculation posters say then??

If Cassell wins the job, my prediction is 50% chance of 8 wins, 25% for 9, 2% for 10 and 0% for more. Cassell winning the job confirms 1st round draft pick in '16 must be a QB, again.

I guess we'll see what happens. Have you read anything to indicate that EJ is not third though right now? Even if it's not by a wide margin? I'd be curious to read that. And as much as you don't want to believe it, I do not dislike EJ Manuel or have anything against him. I remember when he beat Carolina in 2013, I was at a bar in NYC jumping up and down, telling my Eagles and Jets fan friends, "We've finally got our franchise QB, I can't believe it!" Unfortunately, I honestly feel like that will end up being the pinnacle of his career.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Yeah, I agree...although I differ on the part about MC getting the job if no one separates themselves. I just think if MC and EJ...or MC and TT, or MC, EJ, and TT are all closely grouped and not separating, then I think they go for the upside in the younger player rather than the low ceiling vet who isn't playing any better than the younger guys. If EJ and Cassel are similar, why not roll with the guy that has the best chance to continue to improve and has more physical gifts to add a second dimension to his game in running ability. Or MC and TT...same principle.

Thats why i think MC needs separate himself more than the others do because he doesn't offer much upside and has a bigger price tag.

My thinking was, if the three QBs were performing equally, then Rex will want to go with the veteran guy who's led playoff drives before. Seems to me the trust factor would be higher with MC than the others. So in a tie, MC is the winner.

But Alphadawg makes a good point. Everything else being equal, why not go with a younger guy who may still have some upside. We know MC isn't getting better at his age. Maybe if TT or EJ are just playing as good as MC during preseason, they get the nod because of their athleticism and the possibility they may get better as the season progresses with continual playing time and coaching.

The QB situation is playing out exactly as most thought it would.

We all hoped EJ would win the job but most of us doubted that would happen and assumed Cassel would be the starter and Tyrod would be the backup to start the season. I still think Tyrod ends up as the starter at some point this season though.

EJ will not be cut regardless of what happens

Edited by Max997

That is an interesting take. The other thing people seem to forget is that Cassel should have the most chemistry and be in the lead, probably by a wider margin, as he is the only one to get first team reps every practice, no? That being the case your thoughts may be even more relevant.

Yes. Cassel has has the most time with the 1's by far, and hopefully that shows in chemistry. I wouldn't be surprised if they are giving Cassel the #1 reps because he's the "sure thing" while doing whatever they can to develop EJ and Tyrod in the background. If EJ or Tyrod steps up and shows something amazing, they'll get the starting nod, but most likely it'll be Cassel, and the coaches will continue to develop EJ/Tyrod during the season. If Cassel falters, and the coaches see some improvement/promise from EJ/Tyrod, they'll make a change. If at the end of the year they feel EJ/Tyrod haven't shown much of anything to go on, then they will draft a QB next draft.

To me it all seems pretty logically laid out. I was hoping EJ or Tyrod would step up and seal the deal heading into the season, but neither really have it seems so far. BUT we haven't even played a preseason game yet, a lot could change.

Edited by Dorkington

The QB situation is playing out exactly as most thought it would.

We all hoped EJ would win the job but most of us doubted that would happen and assumed Cassel would be the starter and Tyrod would be the backup to start the season. I still think Tyrod ends up as the starter at some point this season though.

EJ will not be cut regardless of what happens

Unless, by some chance, EJ still has some trade value, and one of the teams with truly dreadful backups, and injury prone starters (Cowboys? Bears?), will offer us some late round draft pick. "Win now," sure. But, we should be doing whatever we can to start accumulating draft picks to use to trade up in the first next year for the best QB we can get.

Good Post OP.

Last year was a disaster of epic proportions for EJ.

Do we really think he is going to get another chance, after being humiliated in Houston? No

This is Cassels' job to lose. The staff loves Tyrod.

The front office opinion has not changed on EJ.

We are not sacrificing this year.

Imo

How's it going, Joe B?