Is Steve Smith a hall of famer?

YoloinOhio

He announced today that he will retire at the end of the season, his 15th.

Since his rookie season in 2001, he has the 3rd-most receiving yards in the league (13,262). He has had 8 seasons of over 1000 yds.

Signed through 2016... Leaving 3 mill on the table to walk away early.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd need to see more of how his stats stack up - my gut says there are a lot of great talents in line there and if a fringe guy some of the locker room issues might lean me towards out. His stats might be a little better than I thought though. Great player either way.

As I listened to Tim Brown read off the list of QBs he's played with (not much better than the list of Bills QBs over the last 15 yrs) it made it all the more impressive what he was able to accomplish. I think the same with Smith. One year so far with Flacco, and my opinion on Newton is he is an elite football player, good QB, but not an elite passer.

@ChrisWesseling: Steve Smith (2005), Rice (1990) and Sharpe (1992) are the only 3 players to win the WR triple crown (catches, yards, TDs) since the merger.

As I listened to Tim Brown read off the list of QBs he's played with (not much better than the list of Bills QBs over the last 15 yrs) it made it all the more impressive what he was able to accomplish. I think the same with Smith. One year so far with Flacco, and my opinion on Newton is he is an elite football player, good QB, but not an elite passer.

That's a good point. His best years were with Jake Delhomme.

I never did see a player with a better knack for throwing an INT at the absolute worst time than Jake Delhomme, but maybe that's because I was living in Charlotte during that era

He threw some spectacular INTs.

Holds the Carolina INT record, I think.

I'd love to have Jake Delhomme in his prime playing for the Bills right now, though. :(

@ESPNStatsInfo: Steve Smith currently ranks 14th all-time in receiving yards.

He'll need 638 yards in his final season to move into the top 10 all-time.

whats tough is 14 probably leaves him about 10th out of guys that started their careers in the last 20 years or so? Moss, owens, harrison, wayne, andre johnson, torry holt, id guess larry fitz is pretty close, probably tony gonzlez at TE even..... megatron has to be sneaking up on him fast. and you get into quite the logjam suddenly, despite looking at top 10 cumulative stats. Edited by NoSaint

No. Never had a good QB until Cam and was lucky to have played under Chud the first two years with Cam.

No super bowl wins. Not a on a consistent contender.

Also, just a dick who didn't play well with others. Attacked two teammates with sucker punches. First guy had a broken eye socket in film room. Never helped any of the young receivers that were brought in grow.

If it took Reed, Loftin and Brown that long; and in light of the fact that his ranking is going to plummet in upcoming years do to passing becoming the default offensive play... He might make it in 30 years as an old timer.

It's going to be close. There's a huge log jam of WRs right now and TO, Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison and Isaac Bruce are all in front of him. He'll need 743 yards to crack the top 10- Andre Johnson is just over 300 yards in front of him and looks to crack the top 10 before him. Henry Ellard was 3rd in career receiving yards in 1998 (when he retired) and still sits at 11, there's hardly any push to put him in the hall.

Maybe, but not anytime soon. There are a ton of WRs in the queue who are more deserving; Moss, TO, Harrison, Wayne, Holt, Bruce, etc.

His career stats look good but he has benefited from the rules changes favoring passing. And I think the HOF needs to be careful about just looking at career stats -- between rules changes and improvement in medical care it's a lot easier to play longer these days. OJ is going to fall out of the top 20 all-time rushers this season -- unthinkable a generation ago.